Idaho whitetail in November

Headed to Idaho this coming November to hunt white tail, never hunted them or in Idaho. Looking for some preliminary info as I start my research.

Any info to get me started down the right path is appreciated.

-Xander

Very cool. So what region are you hunting? The terrain is very different north to south.

Don't know where yet, I will be taking my 30-06 in fact, my 6.8 as a back up as well.

So far, I'm thinking somewhere around Moscow looks good with high population density as reported within the last week.

We will be doing an otc/diy hunt.

-Xander

Don't know where yet, I will be taking my 30-06 in fact, my 6.8 as a back up as well.

So far, I'm thinking somewhere around Moscow looks good with high population density as reported within the last week.

We will be doing an otc/diy hunt.

-Xander

Okay, so North :thumbsup: I'm a northern boy, living further south now. That country is thick cover combined with areas of broken farm ground and there is good whitetail density there. There is a lot of public ground if you don't end up with access to any private. Also, there is a lot of opportunity on timber company ground, like Potlatch. If you have a four wheeler you can get access behind the timber company gates that are regulated to machines 50" and less in width. Opens up a lot more ground for you. That northern season runs until Dec. 1 (we don't get quite that long down here) and the rut out here generally starts firing up around Nov. 15. We also see good prerut cruising around the 10th of Nov.

Very good info, I do appreciate it. I will take that all into consideration.

We do not have small 4 wheelers, just full size Chevy trucks. However, I am very able and willing to hike many miles loaded down, I can and do cover quite a bit of ground on foot rather quickly.

Now I just need to figure out which zones I can buy tags for OTC. Just in the preliminary planning stages to see if it's even viable. I will be making a call to a fish and game office up there soon.

-Xander

Most of our deer hunting is OTC, especially for whitetail. I would make sure of two things:

1. There is a limited number of non-resident otc tags, and when they're gone they're gone. I'd suggest buying early if it is a for sure trip.

2. We have General Deer tags and Whitetail Deer tags. Make sure to buy the Whitetail Deer tag if you are for sure wanting to chase whitetails, as you get a longer/later season that is restricted to whitetailed deer only. The General Deer tag is better for the southern part of the state where the species are more mixed, but it also ends much sooner, like the end of October.

Here is a unit map of the northern zones. Moscow is in hunt unit 8.

mzrLJaO.jpg

And here are the seasons for the northern units on the whitetail deer tag.

hwqg3ez.jpg

Hope that helps a little and good luck!!!

-Dave

Back