Idea for Buck 300 series

I know of one person who loves the 300 series..One of the BCCI 301's without the pad print in BG42 just sold on the bay for $255.00 plus shipping..First one I've personally seen for sale. I just got a 312 (I think) today too. I like the red sawcut so much I'm considering asking Leroy to make a 112 with finger grooves with it for me..

What about pretend working men such as myself? I work at an office, and I carry a slipjoint often because it's classy and doesn't look murdery. I mostly butcher apples with it when I want a snack.

For me, I'd buy a 317 or 334 in any steel or handle material Buck released. The delrin they used is soft, I'd like something more durable. As for steel, I'd gladly accept the Sanvik steels Buck uses or 440A. As long as it had the same features and size. More Maker still makes their Trapper
model the same size and pattern as Buck's 334 plus it has a locking blade. DM

I think the run of Sandvik steel was a short lived production.
I believe I read somewhere that Buck would rather use steel 100% USA made.

I can’t pass up this opportunity to chime in.

First, if Buck is just re-tooling for the 300 series and may bring back the 305 and 309, that’s great news; they’re nice knives.

If they are, then I sure wish they’d fix the shape of the clip blades. The graceful sweep of the clips on the old Camillus contract knives and the early Buck made 300s is sweet; the ‘snub-nosed’ clip on the recent 309s ain’t purty, and for better or worse, aesthetics sell traditional folders. Just look at Charlie Campagna’s GEC SFOs; they’re beautiful.

Last, echoing some of the other posters, periodic runs with different colored scales (same materials), and occasional changes in blade configuration (e.g., a run of 309s with clip blade only, or similar) might expand appeal / market without adding significantly to production costs.

Whaddayathink?

OK ... I'll ask.
Since the 300 series is being retooled, does that mean there is a chance that Buck will bring back the big 307 Stockman?

EDITED

Thanks jb4570 jb4570 for the correct model number. :)

Last edited:
OK ... I'll ask.
Since the 300 series is being retooled, does that mean there is a chance that Buck will bring back the Stockman that was larger than the 301?
I think it was the 309?

Fish it was the 307, the 309 is smaller than the 303.
JB

I like that Buck gave all that business to Camillus, back in the day. Wish that could have gone on forever. It was a golden age.

The slip joint market is a strange one. Case seems to be doing fine, and at a high price point. Yet all the other American pocket knife company's have failed. Shrade, Camillus, Queen, Robeson, and so on.

Victorinox also doing fine, so successful, yet Camillus failed? I'd trust an old MIL-K knife to a SAK any day.

How come Buck doesn't make a camp knife? Or even a can opener blade on any knife? How does Buck fit in to the market? Somewhere between Case and Rough Rider. Buck can make a better product than either of them. For a reasonable price.

I would like to see some of the 300's made with varying stained bone offerings, exotic woods, and the like along with a good carbon steel of some sort, like 52100. Differing colors of Delrin would be nice, as well. I especially want some 302's.

Bottom line is Buck needs to hire someone who loves and understands classic slipjoints to do a minor redesign, improve action, and expand available bolster and cover material. Titanium bolsters, micarta, wood, bone, stag covers, and slightly more graceful shaped blades (in various super steels and 420HC) and a couple grind choices and different style pulls, and they would have a winner that collectors would buy every year by the bushel if made in USA.

There is lots of room between Case/GEC and Rough Rider.

Last edited:
I think the run of Sandvik steel was a short lived production.
I believe I read somewhere that Buck would rather use steel 100% USA made.
Looking back thru Buck's catalogs the Sanvik steels appeared in 2009 and ran thru 2017. I would not call a nine year offering 'short lived'. DM

Back