Idea Push, Basic Kukri

Several years ago I floated the idea of an INFI Gladius and it ended up happening later and seemed to be a success. Now I'm floating another idea which I think is way better.... A Basic Kukri. The Killa Zilla seemed like a great success as a chopper, even though I never got one, but I think a Basic Kukri would be much better. Here's why...
Basic handle throws weight forward even more to the blade the way a Kukri should balance.
Basic handle provides better shock absorption and is sized just right compared to traditional Kukri handles when paired with a ~12-13" blade.
INFI would make about a perfect Kukri blade material; proven steel and heat treat for choppers plus semi-stainless, and easy to sharpen and maintain.
No choil on a Kukri, like on the KZ, would allow for closer up detail cutting work right next to the handle for all kinds of cool outdoor bushcrafty stuff so you'd essentially get the use of an awesome chopping design paired with a detail worker blade.
I'm guessing here, but it seems like it would be easier to produce a Basic for Busse than the more detail intensive handles of the KZ and similar knives.

I'm thinking this would be a winner idea here! Who's behind me on pushing this up to see if we can get the boss man to pursue it? ;)

You may want a 13olo 13! Bigger than what you mention but......?
Correction. ..you want a 13olo 13 but just don't know it yet.

I've been hinting around for something similar but I'm thinking I'd like to see one come out as a Battle Grade or maybe out of the Swamp or the Yard. Something a bit cheaper than an INFI offering. Becker is supposed to come out with the Reinhardt kuk pretty soon so it'd be nice to see a direct competitor from Busse and Kin.

Oh, and I'd like to see a hog track etched into the blade where that cows foot notch is on a Nepalese Kukri.

Ack! No notch please! I know they're traditional and all but it just kills the useful close-in detail working portion of the blade IMHO.
Agree SR101 would be real nice too, but INFI, yeah...

Oh no, no notch. Etched. Just to put some hog character on it without weakening it.

While I love the idea of a res-c handled khuk, there is a problem with it that we have tried to solve with the Bolo13/B13 design as follows:

1. A khukri puts a lot of steel way out in front, which in order to balance has to have a full tang and/or heavy handle in order to be useful as well as not cause exhaustion/injury to the user. That is why we don't swing an axe like a chopping knife, try it and your sore wrist will confirm it very quickly. A res-c handle provides neither full tang or a heavy handle, so the weight imbalance results with a traditional khukri design would be amplified.

2. The biggest benefit to the basic/res-c lines is cost savings (followed closely by weight savings), cheaper to produce makes them cheaper to buy. The large curve of a khukri makes for a much wider piece of barstock to be used, and probably with a larger than normal amount of waste, unless a sheet was used wide enough to reverse cut (yin/yang) the patterns. I don't know which method is used, but I get the impression basics come from cheaper/narrower barstock which keeps costs/waste down. Keeping the design straighter and thus narrower works better with that idea in mind.

3. Sheathing is much trickier on a crescent shaped blade the longer/more arc it has. Straighter design alleviates that issue to, along with using less materials for making the sheath too.

4. The 1311 design is arguably the best performing chopper to weight ratio blade made by Bussekin crew yet but could be improved in a few ways. 1.A bolo shape to enhance the geometry of the chopping sweet spot and remind one of a khukri. 2. Being made of INFI for corrosion resistance once coating is absent, either by wear/use, stripping or never being put on (BIG/Satin). 3. Having no loss of cutting edge to any kind of choil, one may easily be added, but never taken away and how often do knife lovers have no small edc blade to accompany their 13+ inch chopper? ;)

Keeping all of that in mind is how all of us over on the B13 thread came up with this idea we are trying to get Jerry & crew to make.
The Bolo13:
INFI
13 13/16" = ~13.8" blade length
13/64" = ~.20 thick blade MAX
Flat Saber grind basically the result one would get from thinning a traditional .25 thick FFG basic.
Bolo/gradual recurve to a no choil ending
Respirence-c handles we all love on light users
target weight of 19-23 oz
Looks something like this (satin concept)
1624134.jpg

Help support us in getting it made here! :D B13 thread!

Actually, a lightweight handle lends itself even better to the kukri design. Since real Gurkha type kukris had rat tail tangs, heavy handled full tangs are often a deal breaker for many kukri guys.

Khukri all the way..... .25 Bolo??? No longer a machete....and besides a Basic Zilla would more than likely bear the KZ2 blade at a reduced size and still be a better chopper than a Basic Bolo....

Back