Idea Push, Basic Kukri

I am hoping Jerry is waiting for tax return season because he knows every hog is going to want multiple models of this infi resC monster. But next Wednesday works as well bossman

I am hoping Jerry is waiting for tax return season because he knows every hog is going to want multiple models of this infi resC monster. But next Wednesday works as well bossman

Yes Wednesday would be better. I haven't bought a new blade from Busse since Knobb or the last Leor run....

I had a dream about this knife last night. It has gotten to that point. Come on bossman, give me some of that ResC wrapped INFI

I had a dream about this knife last night. It has gotten to that point. Come on bossman, give me some of that ResC wrapped INFI
Funny thins is, I was looking Kukri blades last night before I went to bed. I too had dreams about this blade lol. I just chalked it up to seeing it right before I went to sleep. My google images are still full of Kukri blades and Smatchets. What a coincidence lol.

Last edited:
While I love the idea of a res-c handled khuk, there is a problem with it that we have tried to solve with the Bolo13/B13 design as follows:

1. A khukri puts a lot of steel way out in front, which in order to balance has to have a full tang and/or heavy handle in order to be useful as well as not cause exhaustion/injury to the user. That is why we don't swing an axe like a chopping knife, try it and your sore wrist will confirm it very quickly. A res-c handle provides neither full tang or a heavy handle, so the weight imbalance results with a traditional khukri design would be amplified.

2. The biggest benefit to the basic/res-c lines is cost savings (followed closely by weight savings), cheaper to produce makes them cheaper to buy. The large curve of a khukri makes for a much wider piece of barstock to be used, and probably with a larger than normal amount of waste, unless a sheet was used wide enough to reverse cut (yin/yang) the patterns. I don't know which method is used, but I get the impression basics come from cheaper/narrower barstock which keeps costs/waste down. Keeping the design straighter and thus narrower works better with that idea in mind.

3. Sheathing is much trickier on a crescent shaped blade the longer/more arc it has. Straighter design alleviates that issue to, along with using less materials for making the sheath too.

4. The 1311 design is arguably the best performing chopper to weight ratio blade made by Bussekin crew yet but could be improved in a few ways. 1.A bolo shape to enhance the geometry of the chopping sweet spot and remind one of a khukri. 2. Being made of INFI for corrosion resistance once coating is absent, either by wear/use, stripping or never being put on (BIG/Satin). 3. Having no loss of cutting edge to any kind of choil, one may easily be added, but never taken away and how often do knife lovers have no small edc blade to accompany their 13+ inch chopper? ;)

Keeping all of that in mind is how all of us over on the B13 thread came up with this idea we are trying to get Jerry & crew to make.
The Bolo13:
INFI
13 13/16" = ~13.8" blade length
13/64" = ~.20 thick blade MAX
Flat Saber grind basically the result one would get from thinning a traditional .25 thick FFG basic.
Bolo/gradual recurve to a no choil ending
Respirence-c handles we all love on light users
target weight of 19-23 oz
Looks something like this (satin concept)
1624134.jpg

Help support us in getting it made here! :D B13 thread!

I would be ALL OVER this blade if offered.. two thumbs up from this dude!!

Still hoping for the Busse traditional kukri!!

Like my 1311 and like the bolo mod, but not as a substitute for a basic kukri. The CS Gurka Kukri with rubber enclosed tang has great balance - I am sure a Busse kukri with res-C would be just fine in that regard and better in materials etc. My main reason for preferring res-C over micarta or G10 and exposed tang: much more comfortable in winter.

Like my 1311 and like the bolo mod, but not as a substitute for a basic kukri. The CS Gurka Kukri with rubber enclosed tang has great balance - I am sure a Busse kukri with res-C would be just fine in that regard and better in materials etc. My main reason for preferring res-C over micarta or G10 and exposed tang: much more comfortable in winter.

Precisely why I want the Res-C KUK less cold or heat transfer to the hand of the user

Don't know why the b13 crowd feels the need to try to derail this thread. But whatever, maybe that long blade is making up for other short comings. Nothing wrong with either idea, and each has a thread. This thread is about a basic zilla.

It was just one guy and one post. No crowd. I completely agree though. Each has its own thread and there's no reason to be pushing the B13 here. I want both.

Pleeeease Jerry make this Basic Zilla a reality. Such a win on so many levels!!

Res C and kukri belong together like PB & J.

The balance, the comfort, the performance. How has this not happened yet?

Back