[identification] Gladius Style Sword? Middle Eastern? Any Help Appreciated

Hello,

Let me first say that I am a complete noob when it comes to issues of edged weapons of any kind whatsoever. That being said, I was hoping I could get some help identifying this sword. I know virtually nothing about it, other than the fact that I obtained it along with a yataghan and a British police cutlass, which I was able to identify. Thanks in advance!

Photo%20May%2004%2C%205%2035%2037%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2004%2C%205%2035%2049%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2004%2C%205%2035%2056%20PM.jpg

Photo%20May%2004%2C%205%2036%2028%20PM.jpg

W/ scabbard.

A qama/kindjal. Looks 19th century A picture of the decoration may be discernible by someone reading farsi (my impression is that it is a qama and not a Russian kindjal). I am not waiting for them to fully load, as I am on dial up but those are my thoughts. An ethnographic board such as www.vikingsword.com may be your best bet for a translation.

Looks like a nice example of a working sword vs the frilly dress types.

Cheers

GC

A qama/kindjal. Looks 19th century A picture of the decoration may be discernible by someone reading farsi (my impression is that it is a qama and not a Russian kindjal). I am not waiting for them to fully load, as I am on dial up but those are my thoughts. An ethnographic board such as www.vikingsword.com may be your best bet for a translation.

Looks like a nice example of a working sword vs the frilly dress types.

Cheers

GC

There's no script on the sword, farsi or otherwise. (I'm on a faster connection and can see the full pic.)

Ooh. I like that design a lot. We need to convince Joezilla to design a basic one for Condor.

Ooh. I like that design a lot. We need to convince Joezilla to design a basic one for Condor.
The Windlass qama is $35 before sharpening and comes with a substantial scabbard. There are the various other Windlass and Cold Steel machete forms of these as well.

fwiw

GC

I have a CS gladius. It's nice for what it is, but not terribly lively. The Windlass looks nicer, but not as nice as a Joe Flowers designed Qama would probably be. Also, this one has a 20" blade, which would be very much preferable to the Windlass.

I don't know if this is verboten and I'm certainly not looking for an estimate of any kind, but are there resources/folks on this forum who would be interested in such an item?

If this is an untoward inquiry, please forgive. :)

I don't know if this is verboten and I'm certainly not looking for an estimate of any kind, but are there resources/folks on this forum who would be interested in such an item?

If this is an untoward inquiry, please forgive. :)

As a Registered User, you are not allowed to offer items for sale, or even ask for valuation. Please read the rules that you agreed to when you signed-up here at BF.

As Horseclover mentioned it's a very nice example of a kindjal or qama. Thanks for sharing!

Back