If cost didn't matter

What knife sharpening system would you buy???

Last year, I had the opportunity to use a Burr King 2X72 variable speed (high dollar) belt grinder to re-establish a convex edge on an old badly beaten up knife. I fell in love with the darned thing.

The owner used only linen belts with diamond and/or CBN for knife work.

If I win the lottery..................:):thumbsup::)

burr king.jpg

I have a Work Sharp Ken Onion with the Blade Grinding attachment that puts great convex edges on blades. It wasn't too expensive.

I would like to play with one of the way-too-expensive shear-sharping boxes.

scimech_hd_versatile__41459.1560453214.jpg

sidney2-1.jpg

IMG_4693-850x567.jpg

I'm pretty happy with what I have and assuming I could keep my benchstones, then there are some 8"x3" coticule pieces out there I wouldn't mind having.

What knife sharpening system would you buy???

Last year, I had the opportunity to use a Burr King 2X72 variable speed (high dollar) belt grinder to re-establish a convex edge on an old badly beaten up knife. I fell in love with the darned thing.

The owner used only linen belts with diamond and/or CBN for knife work.

If I win the lottery..................:):thumbsup::)

View attachment 1328651

How much is, "high dollar"?

I would like to play with one of the way-too-expensive shear-sharping boxes.

scimech_hd_versatile__41459.1560453214.jpg

sidney2-1.jpg

IMG_4693-850x567.jpg

Those units are pretty neat. Almost all the cost goes into the clamp, the disk part is nothing too fancy.

I'd like to get a look at some of the mechanics and what the options are for angle control.

If cost were no object, I'd have some
If cost didn't matter?

I'd fly to @DeadboxHero 's house, get one of his stones, pay him to teach me his secrets (or at least I'd just watch and marvel), drink some beers and then fly back home.

Then I'd repeat every couple months. :)

I was way ahead of you but didn't want to muck up the thread.

If costs didn't matter, I'd have a guest house out back for various knife makers and master smiths, where they could make me a knife upon request, and teach me to use their tools, (in the fully stocked shop, of course), for maintenance.

Until then, I'll continue to use manual tools.

(I did have both Jerry Halfrich and Ken Erickson in my home as guests, so I was heading in the right direction...:cool:)

ETA: In 2000 I took a motorcycle trip to Montana to spend the weekend with my dear late friend Rob Simonich at his home. While he was in his shop building a knife, I asked him who he was making it for when he was done. He floored me when he said it was for me. Now that's service!

Freehand stone in hand on 1"x6" stones my system, but my money is no object stone wishlist is;

Full set of metallic bonded diamond stones
Full set of resin bonded diamond stones
Full set of OCB Venev stones
Full set of Diamond Matrix stones
Full set of Shapton Glass stones
Full set of Suehiro Gokumyo stones

Maybe a high quality handheld size Belgian coticule...

Probably still want a set of DMT plates...

That should do it

I'm fine with my knife making grinders, a Sharpmaker and Japanese water stones.

Get a set of coarse to extra extra-fine DMT diamond stones, and a couple of high-quality (professional) grade Japanese water stones (2000 and 3000 or so). And buy the largest assortment of chill pills you can afford. Check the seven steps described on the top section of this forum and you’ll be sharpening knives like a pro in no time. Don’t forget the chill pills.

If cost were no object, I'd have some

I was way ahead of you but didn't want to muck up the thread.

If costs didn't matter, I'd have a guest house out back for various knife makers and master smiths, where they could make me a knife upon request, and teach me to use their tools, (in the fully stocked shop, of course), for maintenance.

Until then, I'll continue to use manual tools.

(I did have both Jerry Halfrich and Ken Erickson in my home as guests, so I was heading in the right direction...:cool:)

ETA: In 2000 I took a motorcycle trip to Montana to spend the weekend with my dear late friend Rob Simonich at his home. While he was in his shop building a knife, I asked him who he was making it for when he was done. He floored me when he said it was for me. Now that's service!

Can’t put a price on that! Can you post a few pics of the knife? Rob was one hell of a guy and I’d love to see it.

It might not be a useful answer, but if cost was really no object I would buy every sharpening system I could find and compare them all to find which one I liked best.

Until then, though, I'm very happy with the Edge Pro Apex I have.

If cost is not a problem I would just have Tom Mayo sharpen every knife.

Can’t put a price on that! Can you post a few pics of the knife? Rob was one hell of a guy and I’d love to see it.

AntDog AntDog

A couple of old pix that have not been updated...they don't do much justice but you get the idea. (I also have the first one he made in D2 and carbon fiber which he took off his neck at the Blade Show years ago and put around mine while sitting and having a few at Ruby Tuesday's.)

Glad you appreciate that good man. Few days go by without me thinking of him.

Pikuni2.jpg Pikuni3.jpg

Back