If only.....

How many times have you got a knife in hand and said "If only it was designed this way" or "If only it had this steel" it would be perfect?

For me there have been many times. I wonder if knife manufacturers are doing this on purpose just to drive more purchases.

Here are my examples:

Ontario Rat 1: With D2, nice! But too heavy. If they only lightened the knife with skeletized liners, it would be perfect.

Ontario Rat 2: Give it D2 or better steel than AUS8 and, it would be perfect.

Cold Steel Code 4: If they gave it the same handle material as the Lawman, it would be perfect.

Cold Steel Lawman: If they reduced the finger choil and made the blade much longer, it would be perfect.

Byrd Cara Cara 2: If the blade steel as BD-189 or 440C etc instead of 8CR13MOV, it would be perfect.

Spyderco Delica 4: If it had D2, it would be perfect.

Zero Tolerance ZT0566: If it had no assist and had full sized PB washers instead of the compromise for the speed safe it would be perfect.

These are just some examples.

All comments and ideas are welcome.

Last edited:
I do tend to not buy much knifes that have steel with lower edge retention than vg10/154cm. Stuff like 8cr13mov gets dull halfway trough the day. I dont mind the steel for food prep and such. But for work its a no go

How about a cold steel srk or a master hunter with some sort of scales !? Or a fallkniven f1 or s1 with scales ? How about any esee made with 3v or some other high end steels ! ?

How many times have you got a knife in hand and said "If only it was designed this way" or "If only it had this steel" it would be perfect?

For me there have been many times. I wonder if knife manufacturers are doing this on purpose just to drive more purchases.

Here are my examples:

Ontario Rat 1: With D2, nice! But too heavy. If they only lightened the knife with skeletized liners, it would be perfect.

Ontario Rat 2: Give it D2 or better steel than AUS8 and, it would be perfect.

Cold Steel Code 4: If they gave it the same handle material as the Lawman, it would be perfect.

Cold Steel Lawman: If they reduced the finger choil and made the blade much longer, it would be perfect.

Byrd Cara Cara 2: If the blade steel as BD-189 or 440C etc instead of 8CR13MOV, it would be perfect.

Zero Tolerance ZT0566: If it had no assist and had full sized PB washers instead of the compromise for the speed safe it would be perfect.These are just some examples.

All comments and ideas are welcome.

I removed the torsion bar as many other people have and like it a lot better. If you have the tool and minimal maintenance experience, you should try to take it out and polish the washers. You'll love it twice as much.

Aldebaran,

Get into fixed blades, then you can tell a knifemaker exactly how you want it.

I don't understand how so many people think that a fixed blade is the answer when it is not allowed in many parts of the world. Sure, a custom knife of any type is going to meet your needs as it will built to your needs. That is not the point of my starting this thread. It is about production knives that are almost there, but for one thing that holds it back.

Let's go back to the Ontario Rat 1 for example. Many people in the past have wished for a better steel, and we got it. But many people have wished for it to be lighter. This would be relatively easy to accomplish by changing the metal punches that punch out the liners to have holes in the liners. The handle material is molded so it would be easy to make them with thinner areas in strategic places to make them lighter. Instead the limited edition was made with a cosmetic carbon fiber laminate over thicker G10 handles. So the limited edition is even heavier and bulkier than the regular edition. Exactly opposite of what most have wanted. If only.....

Here are mine

AG Russell Acies - if only it didn't have that lock rock and was still available...
Benchmade 761 - if only it had a better clip and option for tip up...
Boker Kwaiken - if only it was available in a better steel...

For me it's gotta be deep carry clips, I can't stand them. I can't count the number of times I've seen a new knife that I like and would quickly buy if only it didn't have a deep carry clip.

If the ZT 0566cf had titanium instead of stainless steel and had ball bearings it would be the perfect edc knife IMO. You listening KAI/ZT???!!!

If only the 204p Spyderco Military and the Lionsteel SR2A were free with a hug or high five they'd be perfect. Have a better day AND get a great knife.

Hmm, I think it's the VG-10 that makes the Delica the perfect EDC.

If only the BM 530 had a proper thumbstud instead of this fake little post thingie, it'd be perfect.

If the ZT 0566cf had titanium instead of stainless steel and had ball bearings it would be the perfect edc knife IMO. You listening KAI/ZT???!!!

It is called a 0562 or 0562cf...that 0566 is the most brick like ZT that I ever handled.

If only the BM 530 had a proper thumbstud instead of this fake little post thingie, it'd be perfect.

I have the 531, the sister of the 530. The thumb-stud feels wrong if you treat it like any other and, like you, I did not like it when I first got the knife. Thought it sucked big time.

Try running your thumb along the length of the scale before you hit the stud. That way you will engage the stud at a slightly different angle that is much easier on your thumb and much more comfortable.

Cold steel srk.. it be perfect if only the tang extended out the handle like the a1..

CRKT M21-04G. Ti frame and liner lock. VG10, D2, or 154CM blade. I'm not going to get greedy and ask for S30V.
Ontario Rat 1 in D2. Some nice G10 color handle options. I want a blurple.
ZT would bring back the 500 MUDD and streamline the handle contours.

Back