If you could only choose one knife

Ok, I know this is a completely random question that is completely opinion based and the variables are kind of fixed in my case. And I'm new here so go easy on me. But my question revolves around the 8" Ontario SP6 fixed blade knife. First off my fixed blade collection includes the Becker BK9, 2005 Cold Steel Recon Scout, 1995 Buck 650 Nighthawk, Ontario MK 3 Navy (with straight clip point), Ontario 499, rare 7" Ontario FF1 Freedom Fighter, FF4 Navy, Ontario SP6 Fighter, SP17 Quartermaster, SP43 Rifleman, SP46 Boar Skinner, SP49, SP51 beast, RD Tanto, RD6 and RD7. So I'm watching the show Alone last night on Vancouver Island and I'm always interested in the knives they are using on these types of survival shows. So out of all of the ones I own I might actually pick the Ontario SP6. If you've seen the video of Mayor Fuglycool abusing that knife and it passing his test is pretty impressive. I don't baton knives and I would generally prefer 1/4" 5160 steel and a full width handle tang (without the skeletonized handle like on the Becker BK's) with micarta scales like the RD line. But that SP6 is designed for one reason - stabbing. I sharpened it pretty good with my amateur sharpening skills and put a pretty sharp edge on the clip point. In addition it is 1095 (mine is a 2015 so I think it's still 1095 not 1075) so it's easy to sharpen in the field, it's fairly light at 3/16" thick and it is 8" of blade to defend yourself with. Also the kraton handle is pretty comfortable and the handle tang is still pretty thick. I don't know, other than the 1/4" Buck 650 Nighthawk and RD Tanto, I might actually chose the Ontario SP6 if I could only carry one knife especially where bears, wolves and cougars are in such high concentration around you. I know, kind of a random post but I'm sitting here drinking an IPA watching Alone and seeing what you all might think.

Ontario makes great stuff, i certainly would not feel under knifed with a sp6.

That said, as Alone shows, as much as it's counter intuitive a multitool will save you much more often. Making shelter, procuring food with traps, (pulling fish hooks out of yourself in an emergency man i hated to see Cali go through that) all a multitool will excell. I would hate to fight off a bear with a knife, I'd rather have a longer spear and run.

If i could only pick one, between a sp6 or a Leatherman charge or surge, id go Leatherman, but probably only survive like 8ish days.

Only one?! Oh well, I would probably carry my Eickhorn S.E.K. M. yes it is a dagger, but since this restriction is on knives only, I can grab an OKC machete for utility. I've got to have my dagger :)

BK62
uNiG1EX.jpg
8OlxBq3.jpg

Unabashed recycled pics

Sorry. I guess my point was that, for some reason, I keep going back to the SP6 even with all of the fixed blades I own. I do a lot of camping, hiking and backpacking in the roadless and rugged Idaho mountains. So obviously a good tool to rely on is a must along with a .357/.44 mag or rifle/shotgun with slugs. Lots of those critters mentioned in that terrain. The SP6 is just a good budget knife that you can rely on and not worry about replacing it if you had to. But I'm also interested in other higher end fixed blades like Chris Reeve, etc.

Last edited:
If I could only have one, it wouldn't be a fixed blade.
I'd take a large (4 inch plus closed) 3 blade stockman.

Fixed blade paired with a stockman would be a 3.5 ~ 4 inch blade pukkoo.
In 60 or 61 years, I've never needed a knife with a longer blade. :)
(unless you count a cane machete as a "knife" ...)

Back