2. at
3. chet

Kidding aside, if we’re talking user knives:
1. Kailash Ek Chirra Kukri
2. Cold Steel Recon Tanto
3. Spyderco Manix 2

Haha, that's an easy one...

Oh wait...no it isn't.
After thinking about this from my perspective as an avid knife enthusiast, I find this question quite hard to answer.

I could list my three fav knives. I could list my grails. I could list any of the knives I have or want, as they reflect my take on knives.

After racking my brain about intended use and location - Shall I list knives for the outdoors, an urban environment, the office, travel.. etc...?
In the end, it comes down to "just three knives" and that is a hard to swallow pill...

Here are my carefully picked choices of knives I already have and not feel underknifed in any way:

1. BK9 (Chopper, Machete, Big Kitchen Knife, you cannot not have a 9er, its called "the King" for a reason!)
2. BK14 (Near-Grail-EDC I already carry anyways)
3. Victorinox Spirit (It's got a blade - so its a knife)

In all seriousness, of what I own:

Vic Super Tinker
Spyderco Manix 2 CTS-XHP
Becker BK5

But why would I want only 3?

Currently the three would be Vic Small Tinker, Benchmade Mini Presidio II, and Dogwood Kephart. Like @hhmoore ask me next week and I probably will give you a different answer.

I think I answer this the same every time a thread like this pops up...

Izula II or F1
Endura or Delica
Pioneer X

If Vics are knives and no tools

-Vic Rambler
-Vic Pioneer X
-large Sebenza 21 Insingo

If Vics don't count

-large Sebenza 21 Insingo
-Grayman Dua
-Spyderco Spydie Chef

My Tony Bose Coffin Jack, the Lockback Hunter that used to be his personal knife, and my TB fixed blade drop point in 440v.

Okay, okay. Serious, this time.

Honestly, my Alox does all the day-to-day work that I "need", and on the weekends, it's been the QSP "Worker".

zof0hnQ.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what the third one would be. I've invested in good tools over the years, so anything that needs a stouter implement falls to the Sawzall or the angle grinder (okay, the angle grinder is pretty plastic, but it does the job), and if it just needs to be broken apart, I've got that handled, from the 24oz Estwing, to the Stanley Fubar.

In the interest of playing fair, I'll include the TOPS Lil' Roughneck as my third.

npkYJqk.jpg

And in the interest of not playing fair, I'm going to say this doesn't include a couple knives that were gifts, and the sharp tool on my Skeletool.

JRSTUU4.jpg

Because it's not a knife, it's a multitool!

Well, my trusty Buck 301X Stockman would definitely be one of them. It has been with me everyday for a long time. I don't remember exactly when I bought it, but I bought it brand new. It has been a very dependable pocketknife. I messed up and broke off the tip of the sheepsfoot blade.
PNUE0fG.jpg

But ... But ... I normally EDC up to four or five when I add a fixed blade ...

Is this three knifes total, or three styles/patterns?
The stockman pattern, witch I always carry, is 3 3/4 inch; 3 7/8 ~ 4 inch; 4 1/4 inch; or 4.5 inch closed, depending on which is in my pocket that week.
I also have 3 or 4 four blade scout/camp/demo knives to choose from, and there has been one of these in my pocket every day since roughly 1961 or 1962.
I've also kept a Buck 110 or Old Timer 7OT on my belt every day since roughly 1968, sometimes carrying both the 110 or 7OT and either a two blade slipjoint folding hunter, or a fixed blade on my belt.

When I wear a kilt, the folding knives all go in my Sporan, and a fixed blade goes in my strong side sock to serve as my Sgain Dubh. (Mora Classic Number 1 or Cold Steel Finn Bear, or Buck 877 or Buck 460)

This does not take into consideration the day's when I know I'm going to need a "specialty" knife, like a Marlin Spike, and add that to my pocket (in addition to the stockman and scout/camp/Demo knife) for however many days I need it.

Sometimes I'll add a canoe or Barlow, or (large) Sunfish/Elephant Toenail/Whaler/Pocket Axe/British Rope Knife/Emergency Spatula or whichever of the maybe 50 names its known as that you prefer, or a Opinel Number 8, MAM large sheepsfoot friction folder, CS Kudu or Eland or a trapper, or moose to my pocket so they'll quit feeling "forgotten" and stop their crying.

Back