If you could only have 3 knives!

Okay, okay. Serious, this time.

Honestly, my Alox does all the day-to-day work that I "need", and on the weekends, it's been the QSP "Worker".

zof0hnQ.jpg

I'm honestly not sure what the third one would be. I've invested in good tools over the years, so anything that needs a stouter implement falls to the Sawzall or the angle grinder (okay, the angle grinder is pretty plastic, but it does the job), and if it just needs to be broken apart, I've got that handled, from the 24oz Estwing, to the Stanley Fubar.

In the interest of playing fair, I'll include the TOPS Lil' Roughneck as my third.

npkYJqk.jpg

And in the interest of not playing fair, I'm going to say this doesn't include a couple knives that were gifts, and the sharp tool on my Skeletool.

JRSTUU4.jpg

Because it's not a knife, it's a multitool!
What a nice combo of blades. :) Very practical. I like it.

Im thinking Kaber d2 Extreme, Cold steel Recon 1, and id say a Victorinox champion ......

I’m actually doing this now. I’ve had larger collections but my personal philosophy has led me more towards having only a few that I use often. Currently it’s a large Sebenza, bugout, and a Microtech socom. I have a general edc, nice knife in the Sebenza. A smaller lw knife I can carry in my usual shorts or sweatpants and a work/ hard use knife in the socom.

Spyderco Endura
Esee 3
Ka-Bar BK9

*I don’t consider a multi tool a knife so that doesn’t count. If need be I will remove the blade;)

I think my list these days would be
CRK Mnandi-edc
Buck 307-work
Benchmade 970-weak side ccw backup

I am lucky enough to own them all. If I were to buy a knife to replace one of these I might let the 970 go for a ‘zaan

Last edited:
1. Busse SHE2 INFI
2. CRK Large Inkosi
3. Leatherman Charge TTI
That would do it for me.

I couldn't make do with three folders, no matter what they were.

In 30 years as a chef I've only ever needed three knives for work except for the odd specialty blade. Now that I'm retired the Laconico EZC has become my pocket parer. I wish I had it long ago.

pLC5GOsl.jpg

Heavy 10-inch Chef's Knife. Can be used as a light cleaver.

Almost any 5 to 6-inch utility blade.

A 3 to 4-inch paring knife.

Last edited:
Tough question, but of the ones I already own, I’d have to say these three:
Buck 110
BM Bedlam
Camillus BK7

I couldn't make do with three folders, no matter what they were.

In 30 years as a chef I've only ever needed three knives for work except for the odd specialty blade. Now that I'm retired the Laconico EZC has become my pocket parer. I wish I had it long ago.

pLC5GOsl.jpg

Heavy 10-inch Chef's Knife. Can be used as a light cleaver.

Almost any 5 to 6-inch utility blade.

A 3 to 4-inch paring knife.

It is surprising how often I reach for a folder when I need a paring knife.

C9B38249-07A7-40D1-B4E4-2E972F40AA67.jpeg
D5584C59-ABBB-46B3-BD04-7A68C8C444F5.jpeg
8DED2DAE-53E7-4E2A-8E79-2ABB61765BB6.jpeg

CRK 21/31 which i could add Zaan too...
RHK xm-18 3.5
JHK Kwaiback

These 3
Bottom two are only to look at, whittle sticks, an open looted chocolate
Top one for most everything else
B648B761-0A4A-4ED9-8477-80D1919E6204.jpeg

This is impossible :) I believe that for “individual” set it’s need to be at least 5 knives:
SAK or traditional
Folder
Multitool
Fixed blade
Large camp fixed blade

I like the way you think.
I have been known to tell people 5 knives:

1. SAK
2. dress knife
3. EDC folder
4. Fixed blade
5. Machete

Or, SAK, dress knife, small EDC, large EDC, and fixed.

Pretty close to your suggestions. Sometimes I will suggest a utility knife instead of a machete.

The problem is that many here don’t consider SAK a knife.

Last edited:
Back