If you could only have 3 knives!

I couldn't make do with three folders, no matter what they were.

In 30 years as a chef I've only ever needed three knives for work except for the odd specialty blade. Now that I'm retired the Laconico EZC has become my pocket parer. I wish I had it long ago.

pLC5GOsl.jpg

Heavy 10-inch Chef's Knife. Can be used as a light cleaver.

Almost any 5 to 6-inch utility blade.

A 3 to 4-inch paring knife.
Ah, im a chef as well.

I use 4 knives at work, so I wouldn't be able to pick just 3..

This is impossible :) I believe that for “individual” set it’s need to be at least 5 knives:
SAK or traditional
Folder
Multitool
Fixed blade
Large camp fixed blade

It is impossible. I usually have 3 knives on me just going out to get the mail.

I like the way you think.
I have been known to tell people 5 knives:

1. SAK
2. dress knife
3. EDC folder
4. Fixed blade
5. Machete

Or, SAK, dress knife, small EDC, large EDC, and fixed.

Pretty close to your suggestions. Sometimes I will suggest a utility knife instead of a machete.

The problem is that many here don’t consider SAK a knife.

If we're being realistic, five knives would do everything we need. It's important to remember that a knife is part of a larger tool set, and we forget that in the midst of discussing the difference between face-centered carbide and body-centered carbide, or the effect of Martensitic inclusions on shear failures in knife blades. Knives are for cutting. The rest is personal preference, and to some extent, other people's perception, which brings us to an important philosophical consideration, regarding Swiss Army Knives.

I believe the difference between a SAK/multitool and a knife, is an important one. I'm an advocate for responsible tool use, which includes the delicate people who believe that any knife outside the kitchen is a "dangerous weapon" (my Boker Nano, for example. True story). Regardless of how I feel about the person who is having a sensitive moment about my folder, part of my responsibility is to show them that knives cut things, full stop. The "good" or "bad" that they are seeing is because of what the knife user chooses to do. I don't expect to change their minds, but I want to make them work hard to justify their pre-conceived notions.

The products of Wenger, Victorinox, Leatherman and the rest, don't seem to get covered by this perception, and sometimes, it's easier to carry a MT than wear my metaphorical lapel pin, proclaiming that I'm a Repsonsible Tool User. Or, just a tool. Depends on whose watching. That's why my "wedding & funeral" carry is a Skeletool CX: I don't have to worry about being some version of "that guy", if I need to use it.

I always throw a bunch of footnotes at threads like this, anyway. Gifts, especially from my kid, don't count. I'll keep those forever, even if they don't make it into the rotation. But if you think about it, those aren't really knives, they're a tangible focus for your feelings about another person, so their identity as things is not really important: it could be a painted rock, and it would mean the same thing (yes, I have a painted rock).

One of my other footnotes is about machetes and other long-bladed implements: they're not knives. It's like driving an M35 as your daily: you can, and in some places, it makes sense. It's a purpose-built item, and if somebody asks me to choose five vehicles to put in my hypothetical garage, the Deuce might be one of them. But it wouldn't be the everyday choice.

If we're being realistic, five knives would do everything we need. It's important to remember that a knife is part of a larger tool set, and we forget that in the midst of discussing the difference between face-centered carbide and body-centered carbide, or the effect of Martensitic inclusions on shear failures in knife blades. Knives are for cutting. The rest is personal preference, and to some extent, other people's perception, which brings us to an important philosophical consideration, regarding Swiss Army Knives.

I believe the difference between a SAK/multitool and a knife, is an important one. I'm an advocate for responsible tool use, which includes the delicate people who believe that any knife outside the kitchen is a "dangerous weapon" (my Boker Nano, for example. True story). Regardless of how I feel about the person who is having a sensitive moment about my folder, part of my responsibility is to show them that knives cut things, full stop. The "good" or "bad" that they are seeing is because of what the knife user chooses to do. I don't expect to change their minds, but I want to make them work hard to justify their pre-conceived notions.

The products of Wenger, Victorinox, Leatherman and the rest, don't seem to get covered by this perception, and sometimes, it's easier to carry a MT than wear my metaphorical lapel pin, proclaiming that I'm a Repsonsible Tool User. Or, just a tool. Depends on whose watching. That's why my "wedding & funeral" carry is a Skeletool CX: I don't have to worry about being some version of "that guy", if I need to use it.

I always throw a bunch of footnotes at threads like this, anyway. Gifts, especially from my kid, don't count. I'll keep those forever, even if they don't make it into the rotation. But if you think about it, those aren't really knives, they're a tangible focus for your feelings about another person, so their identity as things is not really important: it could be a painted rock, and it would mean the same thing (yes, I have a painted rock).

One of my other footnotes is about machetes and other long-bladed implements: they're not knives. It's like driving an M35 as your daily: you can, and in some places, it makes sense. It's a purpose-built item, and if somebody asks me to choose five vehicles to put in my hypothetical garage, the Deuce might be one of them. But it wouldn't be the everyday choice.

We are on the same page.
Your thoughts above are very much like mine.

I find it strange that many consider a SAK in the same group as multi-tools. I just don’t get it. The main tool on a SAK is a blade. The main tool on almost all MTs is a pair of pliers. To me, all the other tools are secondary. Why is a SAK in the same category as a MT?

Also, I find it interesting that you would choose a MT for formal carry. The last wedding I was at had two people with knives. One person had a full size Griptilian and I had a medium Case Trapper. The trapper got used too.

Although I do have a dress knife (Benchmade 531), I am finding that a SAK makes more sense for formal situations. You don’t always know the person next to you or how they will react if someone has a knife.

As a matter of fact, I am finding a SAK very practical and having one nearby is becoming commonplace for me.

Hard to pick just 3, but I guess it would be
1. Hinderer Eklipse tanto
2. ZT 0452GL
3. ZT 0707

.......Your thoughts above are very much like mine....

.....Also, I find it interesting that you would choose a MT for formal carry. The last wedding I was at had two people with knives. One person had a full size Griptilian and I had a medium Case Trapper. The trapper got used too......

.....You don’t always know the person next to you or how they will react if someone has a knife.....

That means you are thinking waaaaaay too hard! :p

I choose a MT for formal carry because it "isn't a knife". No matter how much mother of pearl and carbon fiber you pile on, a knife is still recognizable as.... a knife.

The Skeletool looks like a piece of industrial design, especially folded up.

vDyfvxv.jpg

And since first impressions are what count, it looks nothing like a knife, when you pull it from your pocket. The NKP bomb doesn't have a chance to arm itself, and by the time you cut what needs to be cut, they've lost interest.

Okay, sorry. I'm derailing, as usual. I'm going to try and zip my lip, for a while.

not currently set up to take pictures, but if i had to choose, i wouldn't want to deal with moving parts
especially if i had to go "places" so..

1. Emerson PUK in satin finish
2. Medford Raider in S35VN
3. this ones hard, either my spyderco Waterway or Spyderco Sustain

Assuming this is 3 for normal everyday life not apocalypse scenario. Those do everything and are the most versatile. And all for under around $85........my expensive knives just got sad...

1. Vic Cadet
2. Vic super tinker
3. Mora Companion

This is a ridiculously difficult question...I mean...folder, fixed, custom...gotta only pick three!!! Dang.

If I had to, had to choose...

Fixed - Carothers DEK1
Folder - Sebenza 21 DP Double Lug Large
And at the moment...REK Ember.

Wait!
What a coincidence...that happens to be what is on me right now. ;)

ETA: Only answered this question, because I dont have to pick!! Thank goodness. :)

Last edited:
Assuming this is 3 for normal everyday life not apocalypse scenario. Those do everything and are the most versatile. And all for under around $85........my expensive knives just got sad...

1. Vic Cadet
2. Vic super tinker
3. Mora Companion
I get choosing the Mora.
And I understand picking the Cadet. But, why the Super Tinker? Isn’t it kind of redundant with the Cadet?

Last edited:
This is a ridiculously difficult question...I mean...folder, fixed, custom...gotta only pick three!!! Dang.

If I had to, had to choose...

Fixed - Carothers DEK1
Folder - Sebenza 21 DP Double Lug Large
And at the moment...REK Ember.

Wait!
What a coincidence...that happens to be what is on me right now. ;)

ETA: Only answered this question, because I dont have to pick!! Thank goodness. :)

Wow! Carothers knives are very impressive!

Probably..
Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in xhp
Becker BK-15
Victorinox fibrox 8" Chef's knife

Back