If you could only have 3 knives!

That means you are thinking waaaaaay too hard! :p

I choose a MT for formal carry because it "isn't a knife". No matter how much mother of pearl and carbon fiber you pile on, a knife is still recognizable as.... a knife.

The Skeletool looks like a piece of industrial design, especially folded up.

vDyfvxv.jpg

And since first impressions are what count, it looks nothing like a knife, when you pull it from your pocket. The NKP bomb doesn't have a chance to arm itself, and by the time you cut what needs to be cut, they've lost interest.

Okay, sorry. I'm derailing, as usual. I'm going to try and zip my lip, for a while.
Go ahead and derail. You were making a lot of sense.

I love these three knife threads. Makes me reflect on what I own, carry, and what my bottom line needs really are.

Last edited:
I get choosing the Mora.
And I understand picking the Cadet. But, why the Super Tinker? Isn’t it kind of redundant with the Cadet?
It is redundant (+a few extra tools). It's just the 2nd most used knife I have in day to day life......so it had to make the list. :)

It is redundant (+a few extra tools). It's just the 2nd most used knife I have in day to day life......so it had to make the list. :)

Can I assume the Cadet is #1?

On paper Vic’s Soldier/Pioneer is my first choice and the Farmer is second. But, the Cadet works out better for me.
So does their Spartan model.

I think it is because of my nails. The pull of the Soldier/Pioneer is just a little harder and my nails just don’t hold up to it.

Edit: picture added.

Excluding kitchen knives? If not I would have to pick 3 kitchen knives.

If I exclude kitchen knives:

1. Some version of the Spyderco Sage or Chaparral - Sage 1 if I had to pick today. Not the most exciting folder, but excellent and affordable. Parts will almost certainly be available for the rest of my life. Not the best or most impressive knife, but does everything I need in a folder.

2. Stuart Ackerman custom Serrata with the "classic" blade shape (shaped like the Spyderco version). This knife doesn't seem to get much attention. It's odd and wonderful. One of the most comfortable handles I've used, cuts forever, and would probably sharpen just fine on a brick.

3. Spyderco Waterway or other nearly rust proof fixed bladed fishing knife. (Waterway is on a friend's fishing kayak. LC200N Mule shown below.)

Folder to carry when I'm in the city or at work. A practically always sharp outdoors knife that will sharpen on any stone. And a fishing knife that won't rust. This covers most of my needs for a knife.

p8mHb5i.jpg

Last edited:
(As Sabrecat said), these "X" (number) knife threads are an interesting challenge. I would usually tell myself that I am thinking too hard, but we're past the easy answers. So any further progress, even in a circular direction, needs some hard thinking. Three or four days worth, in my case.

I wanted to see if I could do this without all the footnotes and asterisks. Putting everything else in a box, and only carrying three.

It seems that I can. I mean, I wouldn't, but if I needed to....

A. G. Russell Medium Barlow, in black Delrin. For work and off-time, including weddings and funerals. Not the classiest suit at the party, but "it kinda reminds me of the one my Grandpa had", and there's your disarm key for the NKP bomb.

bwtopqe.jpg

Fox Core. Not really a necessity (I could get away with two.... Nah), but it's the closest thing to a folding Izula that we're likely to get, so it gets a place at the table.

ssGxH3m.jpg

Third would be the TOPS Outpost Command. For.... whatever else.....

9aRTLKd.jpg

Last edited:
(As Sabrecat said), these "X" (number) knife threads are an interesting challenge. I would usually tell myself that I am thinking too hard, but we're past the easy answers. So any further progress, even in a circular direction, needs some hard thinking. Three or four days worth, in my case.

I wanted to see if I could do this without all the footnotes and asterisks. Putting everything else in a box, and only carrying three.

It seems that I can. I mean, I wouldn't, but if I needed to....

A. G. Russell Medium Barlow, in black Delrin. For work and off-time, including weddings and funerals. Not the classiest suit at the party, but "it kinda reminds me of the one my Grandpa had", and there's your disarm key for the NKP bomb.

bwtopqe.jpg

Fox Core. Not really a necessity (I could get away with two.... Nah), but it's the closest thing to a folding Izula that we're likely to get, so it gets a place at the table.

ssGxH3m.jpg

Third would be the TOPS Outpost Command. For.... whatever else.....

9aRTLKd.jpg
IIRC, I listed a Vic Cadet
(formal dress & travel). A full size Griptilian (edc).
The third knife was a budget fixed blade of some sort.

The odd thing is that the Cadet and Griptilian are not my favorite knives.

I picked them because:

1. I already own them.

2. They do what I expect from a folding knife very, very well.

3.They are both easily replaced.

I actually dislike a lot of things about the Griptilian but, I have not found anything that works better for the money. I have knives that I prefer but, they fall short in one area or another.

Didn't see much point in leaving this one up.

Last edited:
Nope - much as I love the original field knife, the one shown is the one I've found most fitting for me.....
HOWEVER, I must officially recant my last post because those 3 knives do not meet all of my knife needs. None of them are suitable for diving. Post withdrawn - I'm out (off to the lake, with my pacific salt)

Nope - much as I love the original field knife, the one shown is the one I've found most fitting for me.....
HOWEVER, I must officially recant my last post because those 3 knives do not meet all of my knife needs. None of them are suitable for diving. Post withdrawn - I'm out (off to the lake, with my pacific salt)

It's hard to settle with just three knives. Diving and ice skating are two things that I have never tried doing.

I had a nightmare like this ......
1. Benchmade Bailout with green aluminium handle
2 SOG Terminus XR black/black
3. Ontario RAT 2 D2 black/black
Have my eye on getting a RAT 1......

Im pretty happy with three of my knifes. Fallkniven H1, Fallkniven S1x and Eka Swede 10.
Actually, going hunting, i always carry these three.

(2nd entry... cheating!?)

OP didn't say nuthin' 'bout having more than one go!

How about some color coordination? Starting with a Bark River City Knife

bRBKMRR.jpg

A Fallkniven GP as the folder

UViYwRF.jpg

And something by Lionsteel for the biggun.

FQgClkK.jpg

How about the American Operator loadout?

Leatherman MUT (I don't know if this actually has a knife. But it has lots of tools for working on your rifle)

WUkOm70.jpg

Emerson CQC-7

sOpX9uC.jpg

TOPS Pry-Knife

oXwPgV0.jpg

Stelth did it in two:

4GCkd3a.jpg

Alox and a KA-BAR Wrench Knife. Hard to think of anything this pairing couldn't handle. If you're going into tree country, maybe add a hatchet or a folding saw, and call it a three-day trip.

I have some other ideas to add to this, if I track down pictures, I'll be back!

What about one for the "Tactical Gray" crowd?

Kizer/Gringrich GTi

z7rZogK.jpg

TOPS Knox "neck knife"

AQP7rWS.jpg

Cold Steel AK-47 fixed blade

RDZp8vA.jpg

The "I can afford to lose it!" kit

Mora Garberg

YNieXqA.jpg

Victorinox Floral knife

QO3CMev.jpg

Tramontina 12" machete