1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

if you could only have one handgun

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Gear' started by yoz's friend, Nov 19, 2016.

1. leghog

leghog

Aug 10, 2013
    Non-generic Bearcat pic.

[​IMG]

A better option would be the Ruger Single six. Two cylinders. .22LR and .22 Mag. Longer barrel and sight radius.

[​IMG]

2. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Maybe so but I picked a .22 LR handgun I actually have as shown in this picture.

[​IMG]

I only carry it when I'm out and about on our property or in the nearby national forest. It shoots dead center and about 1/4" right out to 20-25 yards and as I said, it makes for a good rabbit squirrel gun in a pinch.

Nice looking Bearcat with the brass trigger guard. I had one years ago - maybe 1970 or so -. Bought it at a gun store out by Warrenton, Va -Clark Brothers Gun Store I think.

Anyway, they make for a nice, easy, carry gun.

3. STAINLESS90

STAINLESS90

Sep 5, 2014
    Shield your eyes peasants from the ultimate all around gun.
    [​IMG]
    Just kidding, a friend gave it to me a few years ago and I keep forgetting to drop it off at the police department to have it destroyed.

For self defense alone I would say the Glock 17, does everything anyone could ever need, for an all around gun I would say a full size high capacity 45 ACP. It's still able to be half assedly concealed, large enough to hunt a decent variety of game with, and isn't terribly expensive to shoot with a wide availability of ammo. One or the old German Sig P220's can be had for around $500 but if I remember correctly it's only an eight round mag so your not getting any benefits over a 1911 with a plus one mag other than the decocking lever.

4. sodak

sodak

Mar 26, 2004
    I would go with either a Ruger GP 100 357 4 inch, or a Glock 23 .40. Both good general purpose calibers that will work well for self defense.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  5. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    I like the Glock 27 [compact .40] all the self defense benefits of that caliber in a great size for my hands & for conceal carry

6. SevenOfNine

SevenOfNine

Nov 20, 2016
    Only other fav I like better is the Springfield XD in .40.

I'm a lefty so the ambi-button mag release & such really drew me to it over the G27, which I had EDC'd for several years up until the XD's came around

7. k5MOW

k5MOW

Nov 29, 2014
    Glock 17.

8. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    I take it that it's a Hi-Point...If you want to destroy it, just drop it onto a hard floor...The pot-metal will shatter like glass...lol...

9. STAINLESS90

STAINLESS90

Sep 5, 2014
    Lorcin 380, actually had a Hi-Point for a minute. I hate to say it but it never gave me any troubles function wise. Complete POS but it always went bang.

10. glockman99

glockman99 Super Moderator Super Mod

Jun 12, 2000
    My only handgun is my kustomized Glock 21-2...I find it to be perfect for me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  11. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    To consider one handgun I don't want to be carrying a heavy brick and neither something too small to be effective in a gunfight.

My choice is a Colt 1911 with commander slide and aluminum officers frame.

12. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    I pack a .44 vaquero in the woods but think if I had to pick one if SHTF it would my Glock 41

13. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    Mine too. For me, it's called the CCO. It is my CCW.

14. colubrid

colubrid Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 26, 2005
    Yes! Best configuration ever.

[​IMG]

15. Judge Luco

Judge Luco Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Same here!

16. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    That one's easy. Make mine a 1911. Good for fighting, and I enjoy shooting it, so it's good for the range as well. Luckily I already have it.

[​IMG]

17. 00ChevyScott

00ChevyScott

Dec 3, 2010
    My FNX 45 T

[​IMG]

18. tjswarbrick

tjswarbrick

Mar 31, 2011
    Since I don't have a 4", I'd stick with my 6" GP100. I've run everything from soft .38 wadcutters through 1300fps 200gr solids through it. Accurate, easy to shoot, and dead-nuts reliable.

Good to know the XD45 wouldn't be too shabby a substitute, though.

19. BigDeeeeeeee

BigDeeeeeeee

Feb 19, 2002
    Wow, those grips are amazing.

This one would be my pick. Guncrafter No Name.
    [​IMG]

20. fishiker

fishiker

Nov 5, 2006
    Not as glamorous as others previously posted but this one has served me well
    for many years. I know I can count on it to provide wild game and if necessary
    would trust my life to it.
    [​IMG]