if you could only have one handgun

Generic picture
Ee5lc51.jpg

Non-generic Bearcat pic.

Ruger%2520Bear%2520Cat.JPG

A better option would be the Ruger Single six. Two cylinders. .22LR and .22 Mag. Longer barrel and sight radius.

Ruger%2520Single%2520Six.JPG

Maybe so but I picked a .22 LR handgun I actually have as shown in this picture.

0Cft0EZ.jpg

I only carry it when I'm out and about on our property or in the nearby national forest. It shoots dead center and about 1/4" right out to 20-25 yards and as I said, it makes for a good rabbit squirrel gun in a pinch.

Nice looking Bearcat with the brass trigger guard. I had one years ago - maybe 1970 or so -. Bought it at a gun store out by Warrenton, Va -Clark Brothers Gun Store I think.

Anyway, they make for a nice, easy, carry gun.

Shield your eyes peasants from the ultimate all around gun.
bfa187b7ad3b021cdd68be3004f98e82.jpg

Just kidding, a friend gave it to me a few years ago and I keep forgetting to drop it off at the police department to have it destroyed.

For self defense alone I would say the Glock 17, does everything anyone could ever need, for an all around gun I would say a full size high capacity 45 ACP. It's still able to be half assedly concealed, large enough to hunt a decent variety of game with, and isn't terribly expensive to shoot with a wide availability of ammo. One or the old German Sig P220's can be had for around $500 but if I remember correctly it's only an eight round mag so your not getting any benefits over a 1911 with a plus one mag other than the decocking lever.

I would go with either a Ruger GP 100 357 4 inch, or a Glock 23 .40. Both good general purpose calibers that will work well for self defense.

Last edited:
I would go with either a Ruger GP 100 357 4 inch, or a Glock 43 .40. Both good general purpose calibers that will work well for self defense.

I like the Glock 27 [compact .40] all the self defense benefits of that caliber in a great size for my hands & for conceal carry

Only other fav I like better is the Springfield XD in .40.

I'm a lefty so the ambi-button mag release & such really drew me to it over the G27, which I had EDC'd for several years up until the XD's came around

Shield your eyes peasants from the ultimate all around gun.
bfa187b7ad3b021cdd68be3004f98e82.jpg

Just kidding, a friend gave it to me a few years ago and I keep forgetting to drop it off at the police department to have it destroyed.
I take it that it's a Hi-Point...If you want to destroy it, just drop it onto a hard floor...The pot-metal will shatter like glass...lol...

I take it that it's a Hi-Point...If you want to destroy it, just drop it onto a hard floor...The pot-metal will shatter like glass...lol...
Lorcin 380, actually had a Hi-Point for a minute. I hate to say it but it never gave me any troubles function wise. Complete POS but it always went bang.

My only handgun is my kustomized Glock 21-2...I find it to be perfect for me.

Last edited:
To consider one handgun I don't want to be carrying a heavy brick and neither something too small to be effective in a gunfight.

My choice is a Colt 1911 with commander slide and aluminum officers frame.

To consider one handgun I don't want to be carrying a heavy brick and neither something too small to be effective in a gunfight.

My choice is a Colt 1911 with commander slide and aluminum officers frame.

Mine too. For me, it's called the CCO. It is my CCW.

That one's easy. Make mine a 1911. Good for fighting, and I enjoy shooting it, so it's good for the range as well. Luckily I already have it.

23969667604_818b92eb70_c.jpg

Since I don't have a 4", I'd stick with my 6" GP100. I've run everything from soft .38 wadcutters through 1300fps 200gr solids through it. Accurate, easy to shoot, and dead-nuts reliable.

Good to know the XD45 wouldn't be too shabby a substitute, though.

That one's easy. Make mine a 1911. Good for fighting, and I enjoy shooting it, so it's good for the range as well. Luckily I already have it.

23969667604_818b92eb70_c.jpg
Wow, those grips are amazing.

This one would be my pick. Guncrafter No Name.

Not as glamorous as others previously posted but this one has served me well
for many years. I know I can count on it to provide wild game and if necessary
would trust my life to it.

Back