If you could only own 3; what are the Best 3 Victorinox SAKs

Only need one.
Only have one.
I've had a Midnite Mini Champ on my keys for years. Never use the blade though. I've got my folders for that. But since I started carrying a flashlight I have been tempted by the Alox version. Haven't pulled the trigger yet because I really don't want to lose that pen.

Fieldmaster, Ranger and Craftsman.

If it doesn’t have scissors and a saw I am less interested. I very much prefer screwdriver over the corkscrew.

I like the bigger SAKs and the Craftsman is the last one I would ever part with.

No love for the Cybertool?

I've been carrying a Cybertool 29 (now called the S, for Small) for many years now - 15 or so. Basically a Tinker model but with a bit driver and bit holder, so you've got 8 different additional tools. Including a T8 and T10 TORX, which happens to be the pivot size of most of our modern folders. The small phillips its pointy enough to fit most eye/sunglass screws (the corkscrew screwdriver works if it's a slotted screw), and I've fixed them for random people on 2 occasions (and a third who wasn't random, as well as countless times for myself).

Second would be the Pioneer Rancher. It replaces the canopener with a small hawkbill, and woe unto any clamshell packaging that crosses its path.

I guess my 3rd choice would be another Pioneer Rancher, since they've been discontinued.

Alox Electrician
Alox Farmer
Tinker

I always have plenty of plastic toothpicks on hand. My Micra has tweezers, plus scissors that I prefer to the Vic.

Rambler because it's a Classic SD plus a Phillips screwdriver and a cap lifter; Tinker because it's light and compact but with the most needed tools; and for the third, pick any one with a saw (my choice is the Walker).

Tinker (either the regular sized one or the 111mm one that they call the Adventurer)
Bantam; I could be convinced to go with the Small Tinker instead. This has been what I carry when I have a large traditional slip joint in my pocket.
One Handed Trekker for woods back up use. Never used the saw, but it certainly cuts well when that's all you have to cut a walking stick, stake or whatever flat (cross grain).

Certainly the alox models are prettier but I tend to go with the standard plastic handled ones so I get the tweezers and tooth pick. I have a tiny scissors on my Leatherman Ps4 Squirt that I keep on my car key chain all the time, but I have never used the scissors.

Last edited:
As of today, subject to change on a whim:
Tinker
Rambler
Waiter sort of. I like the size of the Waiter. Its almost perfect. I'd like the same knife with a Phillips in place of the corkscrew. I've never had to open a bottle of wine where another corkscrew wasn't available. That said, I have one of those little mini corkscrew screw drivers on order. If it will work on my eyeglasses, then the corkscrew will be a handy place to carry it and I might decide I like it better than the Phillips.

o2qXMovh.jpg

The only one I’ve owned for the past 7 or so years is the Wenger Esquire (and the Vic version, the Classic). I use it constantly, and intend to have one in my pocket until I die. Everything else changes. That thing stays the same.

As of today, subject to change on a whim:
Tinker
Rambler
Waiter sort of. I like the size of the Waiter. Its almost perfect. I'd like the same knife with a Phillips in place of the corkscrew. I've never had to open a bottle of wine where another corkscrew wasn't available. That said, I have one of those little mini corkscrew screw drivers on order. If it will work on my eyeglasses, then the corkscrew will be a handy place to carry it and I might decide I like it better than the Phillips.

Just had one of those little drivers delivered, tried it on both sets of sunglasses I own and it worked like a charm!

Is the SAK attraction a urban tool in your pocket? I haven't been bit by the SAK bug and maybe it's my mindset on what I want in my pocket everyday. I migrate towards med to large folders. In the woods it would be a fixed blade.

I've seen the question asked what knife if you could only have one. Some people chose an SAK. I can't imagine unless there is something I'm not familiar with,

Is the SAK attraction a urban tool in your pocket? I haven't been bit by the SAK bug and maybe it's my mindset on what I want in my pocket everyday. I migrate towards med to large folders. In the woods it would be a fixed blade.

I've seen the question asked what knife if you could only have one. Some people chose an SAK. I can't imagine unless there is something I'm not familiar with,

A SAK was one of the first knives I ever had, back in my Cub Scout days. So for me personally they bring back good memories from when I was knee high to a grasshopper. At least that's where the attraction started for me.

They taught me good and safe cutting techniques since they (mostly) all lack a lock. They are good quality, and offer such a range of useful little tools. Especially the tweezers and the tooth pick! I've pulled many splinters and little steel slivers out of my grabbers with those little tweezers. They don't seem to frighten anyone when you pull them out either. I think another reason for their popularity is that they're affordable, and come in such a variety of sizes, colours and variations.

I, not unlike yourself, also like to carry medium to large folders, and fixies in the woods. However I always have a SAK of some sort riding in the other pocket. They have a nice, thin ground slicey blade. And to be honest, they can handle almost all of the cutting tasks that I encounter in a day.

That's just my 2 cents. I know they're not for everyone, but I think they're at least worth a try!

I've had so many uses from my SAKs that I personally can't imagine going without one. I also regularly carry a pocket-clipped, one-handed folder, and use them, too, but I tend to find more all-around uses on a daily basis for my SAKs, especially my Pioneer.

Back in the '80s to early '90s, I went to live in Taiwan, and the only knife I took with me was a Victorinox Spartan, which was the only knife I had for YEARS. I also took it with me on trips from Taiwan to Hong Kong and South Korea (back in the days when you could carry a SAK in your pocket onto a plane; not recommended nowadays, of course). Nobody at the airports (even in Narita Airport in Japan) even gave my Spartan a second glance. Did I sometimes wish I had a bigger, badder knife? Not really. I got so many uses over those years that it never crossed my mind (plus, I was pursuing other interests at the time other than knives). It was just a part of my daily 'stuff' that came along with me wherever I went.

I sometimes see people on YouTube or wherever demonstrating how to open cans of food with their Spyderco, ZT, etc., "In case it's the only tool you've got." If the tip/edge is undamaged, it's considered 'excellent'. If you have a standard SAK with a can opener, there is ZERO risk of damage, and the task is accomplished cleanly and with ease in seconds. I also use that can opener/small driver tool to scrape, undo staples, and occasionally to hook and pull certain things. Each non-blade implement on a SAK can serve multiple uses outside of its intended usage. The large driver/bottle opener also works well for light-duty prying that could potentially snap the fine, needle-point tips of many one-handed folders. These are just a few limited examples. And a standard, 2-layer SAK is very compact and barely takes up any space or weight in a pocket. Plus, they are of excellent quality at a low price.

Jim

Last edited:
1. SwissTool RS – maybe it's a cheat, not being a traditional SAK, but it's my favorite multi-tool. Has both serrated and plain-edge blades, outstanding scissors, a great saw, and a really useful ruler
2. Fieldmaster – has the unusual combination of scissors, Philips screwdriver, and saw
3. Jetsetter – nice for travel and TSA-friendly. No blade, of course, which makes it a great keychain tool to carry while toting another pocket knife

Back