If you had $175......

Any Spyderco. Best tools around.

Real Steel Megalodon 2017 in m390. Fun flipper that's a great user.

White river caper. Love the backpacker and its the same knife with handle scales.

Zt 0620. Still available but discontinued.

I’m pretty sure the backpacker is the scaleless model and the backpacker pro is the scales model. Not sure how the caper fits into that family.

If I had 175$ first thing I would do is check out the exchange and get a lnib knife worth more than 175$.

Not sure what size knives the OP likes , or folding vs fixed blade but I would check out Kizer and WE knives’ lineups. There are some nice ZT knives within this price range too I believe.

They still have some zt 620cfs available at blade hq for within this price. If OP likes a big knife I would get this hands down.

Hmmm. Right here, right now, that's a tough question. It's a weird price point and I've got A LOT of knives already.

I've just gotten into autos, so there's some more room there for me to play in. Probably a BM Presidio or an AGA Campolin Zero.
If you don't mind a small knife, the Protech Newport is a great option in that price range.

The White River Caper is a Micarta handled version of their Backpacker ad I believe a stonwashed or tumbled finish instead of satin ... just a couple upgrade options ... the Backpacker Pro with G10 is pretty comfy ... but the blade does show scratches easily ... maybe the Caper would be a better finish?

A small fixed blade from LT Wright or ESEE and a folder like the Delica or Mini Grip.

LT Wright small fixed blades:
Frontier Valley
Frontier First
Patriot
Skeleton Key

Since I already have a (1) Kizer Gemini and (2) Kizer Ursa Minor, I’d get my third choice, a Real Steel Megalodon 2017. By all accounts, an amazing knife at any price.

Not sure how much it costs, but that knife big fixed Charlie Mike currently carries. I'd put it toward one of them with a slightly more pointy tip. Been eyeballing it for awhile now.

Wait for Knifeworks exclusive Benchmade Contego to go on sale again or hit the exchange. Love the exchange.
I was tempted by the ZT 0620 clearance too.

The BK62 Kephart that just came out for preorder ... then with the remainimg $65.00 ... I'd buy a nice bottle of bourbon and a tank of gas and go use the kephart to start a fire and watch the sunset ...

but hey that's just me ...
You, sir, are a man after my own heart. I’d swap the bourbon for scotch but otherwise a very fine plan indeed.

I am not a huge fan of Spyderco knives. I don't care for liner locks and I am not in love with most of their blade shapes. I had gotten interested in the Shaman and the Native because the blade shape is really lovely on those. But after looking for good prices on them, I ran across the Chaparral with Raffir Noble scales... I think I have to have one of those. It ticks a few boxes for me with my preferred back lock, nice leaf shaped blade and I think those scales are cool af. Might be my first dip of the toe in the deep Spyderco pool.

Last edited:
As mentioned before, check the exchange first, then Find a Kephart style knife, just like the overall utility and classic design. Maybe save up a little more to get a JK full size Kephart, or an LT Wright Next Gen in A2 and mountain textured handles. I also have liked the Fiddleback production Kephart, a little different than a regular keppie, but cool design.

Back