if you had a tight budget

where in the USA would you move to and why ? :)

Think rural....

Well i live in Mo. i heard you used to also. It just depends on what you do for a living. If i had my choice i think it would be Alaska or one of the wilderness states...think Montana i hear its one of the prettiest. I have a friend and his wife that drive an RV all over the US to go to gunshows to sell stuff. The guys wife told me their is no place nicer she thought. But it just depends on if your a hunter,fisherman,outdoorsman and occupation.
There is alot of beautiful country out there good luck with your decision.

Doug

For me the choice would be fairly simple: the Midwest (NE, KS, WY, MT, ID, SD, ND). It's where I grew up and I still have most of my family there. For the most part, people are friendly and living in a rural area offers the opportunity to grow a nice sized garden while raising a few animals too. In addition, the hunting tends to be pretty good and once you get to know the people there will generally be a good choice of places to hunt.

I'd also give heavy consideration to some of the southern states (I'm thinking WV, TN, NC, etc..) as the scenery is magnificent and the other opportunities (listed above) are very similar.

Basically I'm happiest where farming is still a major player and people tend to be far more down-to-earth. Simple, for me, will always be better and I'd gladly leave the cities to others (I don't need or want them).

Gold country for me. Many of the small towns near Sutters Mill are very nice and some are quite inexpensive. I spent my summers growing up, up there with my grandparents and I just love the history and atmosphere. But it is still California and many states are way cheaper.

-Xander

to the mountains!

I second the south. Its a great place to raise a family. Its where i grew up and still live now. Its even better if youre a Conservative Christian! Lol. My family lives all over the south, so ive experienced people and the geography of the south. Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee etc. are all great choices. everyone treats you like family... literally everyone... well.. most everyone :D In my experience, there is no better scenery than the south. Now down here, we are serious about our football... so youd have to get used to that....

Depends, if your budget is as tight as mine, the Y.M.C.A. comes to mind... ;-) I can't afford to pay attention!

Honestly, the Ozarks are very very cheap to live in. great fishing, great hunting...I suggest u look at the Mt. Home, AR/Lake Norfork area. The only drawback is not much local economy/jobs...but since your self-employed (Im assuming the knifemaking is a full-time job for you?) that shouldn't be an issue.

Other drawbacks, hot summers, cold winters. But it IS rural as it gets, and low cost of living.

I am a native of Southwest Missouri. I really don't want to go back there because of the severe weather. The southwest states are too hot and dry for me... I guess that leaves the upper midwest...

I am a native of Southwest Missouri. I really don't want to go back there because of the severe weather. The southwest states are too hot and dry for me... I guess that leaves the upper midwest...

The Southeast is FAR from dry :D very cheap too. But during Spring and Fall, tornadoes strike weekly. We havent had any close to us in a while. Closest one recently was about 20 minutes from here. Its easy to find rural land for sale in the south.

Southern Delaware...wait...wait...hear me out. No sales tax, large parts of it still agrarian if you get away f/ the beach. Mild winters generally. Friendly people. Good access to hunting and waterways of eastern shore. Other places I would consider would be some of the high desert areas of Idaho or Wyoming. Of course if Alaska is amazing but the winters can be brutal if you don't like the cold. Good luck

You wouldn't be thinking of leaving us after just getting settled in would you???

wow, that would be sweeet! Though you would be missed here in CA! Can't exactly jump in the truck and come for a quick visit in Duluth lol.

SouthEast ! First choice - Kentucky ..why - Low cost of living, friendly country folk, Hills & Valleys like nowhere else, great garden & live stock conditions, great hunting & fishing, Gun friendly State & the weather isn't bad at all !

Well... I'm in the mountains of North Carolina, so I would stay where I'm at and not move. Moving is expensive...

this post is a great twist on the age-old question, "If you had all the money in the world...where would you live?" i think your question adds a special degree of difficulty Mark.

i am up in New England. lived in Mass, NH and VT. wouldn't say any of those states are what i would describe as cheap places to live. though, as you might expect, the rural areas are cheaper than the urban areas.

best of luck with whatever you decide.

Arrowhead of Minnesota. Land is affordable with plenty firewood, the weather is fairly predictable without as much severe weather. The whole area is mainly forests and lakes which offer plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities. Duluth is a wonderful city that offers plenty including a port on the world's biggest freshwater inland sea. People are friendly, and life is laid back.

Back