If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

One more vote for the Swisstool. In my case the Spirit X in black oxide finish. My daily companion for many years and beyond it's very capable usefulness it has IMO by far the highest cool factor of any multi-tool out there. I've grown to love this damn thing.

f0zJHVF.jpg

As for SAK's, it's hard to beat the simplicity of the Cadet for me. It is my around the house carry multi-tool, where I find the bottle opener to be the tool I use most often ;). It would be perfect to me if it somehow had scissors instead of the can opener and integrated the phillips driver into the file while still keeping the slim profile.

uhgK2wN.jpg

A Companion alox

I carry more than one knife so have others handy if needed, The Alox Companion disappears into my pocket but ends up getting the most use.

I waffle between the Classic and the Executive. I really like both. I use the dinky scissors far too much to not have a model with scissors. My other requirements are the small screwdriver tip, which I honestly prefer on the Classic, and the blade, which I prefer on the Exec. For my uses, most other SAK implements are toys.

Probably a Huntsman. I like that it has a saw (I have a soft spot for Victorinox saws, since my first knife was a Camper). Having said that, I carried an '08 Soldier for over 5 years at one point and never used the saw. Nice to have it and never need it, then need it and not have it, I suppose.

Last edited:
How is it to carry and for snack prep? They look beastly.

It is huge! I bought the Vic nylon pouch that is made for it and find that it carries pretty well. The other way that works for me is to attach a lanyard, put the knife in my back pocket, then run the lanyard under my belt to keep it upright. I put a knot in the lanyard that catches at the top of the belt so it doesn't slip through. The large blade is a good slicer and works well on bread, cheese, and fruit. Can't beat a Vic saw, and a big Vic saw is even better!

That's an easy question except there are two in my list. The one I carry the most is an Alox Rancher. The pruning blade is ideal for cutting open boxes and very easy to sharpen. My second is an Alox Cadet. I have a red and black that were special editions and do not have the keyring which makes them very comfortable to use.

I'd choose from either the Alox Farmer, or the Swiss Army 7 which used to be called Alox Harvester. Carried the Harvester many years at work and hunting. Used the saw blade fairly often, and it was the best cutting small saw I've ever used. That knife came in handy for many small chores, saved walking or climbing to get to other tools. Pop open a paint can, trim a piece of baseboard or fascia trim, sharpen a pencil, open a box or package, saw off a tree limb in the way, start a screw hole, saw off a piece of plastic piping, strip a wire, etc. Never loosened up with use, alox construction is pretty strong. I lost that one years ago but would like another even though it would never get used like the one I had.

That is a really hard question for a SAK fan, I do have one/few favorite within each class(84mm, 91mm, 93mm, etc), and choosing one is like asking which one is your favorite child.

I guess I had been carrying a 91mm SAK Mountaineer for the longest time, and it works exceptionally well as my EDC. So that probably will be my choice.

Back