If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

On the 18th of July, 2018, I received an executive gifted to me to take part in an executive challenge. I had always sort of scorned the executive as sort of an in between SAK of dubious value. Too big for a keyring to replace the 58mm, and too hard to find on the commercial market and mostly had to order. And it was three times the price of the humble classic that had been my keychain knife for 20 years.

I was wrong.

In the first few months after I was gifted the executive, I revised my opinions of it 180 degrees. Total about face in attitude. This little 74mm made an impact on my pocket knife carrying life as no other knife had since I started to carry my dad's old worn Case peanut. It was a relearning of what dad had told me many times about "It doesn't have to be big, just sharp."

I learned that went for SAK's as well. The executive was just enough bigger than the 58mm that it could cut a sandwich in half, or a piece of pie. Something I had to have a second knife on hand for. The executive was just enough more pocket knife that I could eliminate the second knife from my pocket. Very often the executive is my only EDC on me, but now and then is augmented by another SAK or my Leatherman squirt if I expect to need the added tool set.

My most used backup SAK is my old trusty Wenger SI. I love the basic alox scout pattern for the jus tin case. Has what I need and nothing I don't need. With an executive and SI, I feel well equipped for life little problems. Sine 18th of July, the executive has been my number one pick of a personal pocket knife. If I had to pick a number 2, the Wenger SI is there.

If they ever come out with a cadet X, things could change.

Sorry for an ignorant question please....

What does X mean for SAKs?

I have been searching for the answer but s far I have not succeeded.

Sorry for an ignorant question please....

What does X mean for SAKs?

I have been searching for the answer but s far I have not succeeded.
The Pioneer became the Pioneer X with the addition of scissors. I think it means "with scissors" in this context.

I've made my final decision: Victorinox Sportsman. It could be supplemented with a nice little Leatherman Micra, which is based on a pair of spring loaded scissors instead of pliers.
The Micra is very handy little multi-tool. I use mine more than I thought I would.

Probably the Pioneer X in black alox, a great solid pocket-jack.

QzinXMPh.jpg

Farmer with pliers added is my favorite alox.

mDubFMq.jpg

The Walker is my favorite standard SAK.

IUz41Az.jpg

Jeff

I could see where the pliers on a Farmer would come in handy. I really like those scales on your other knives, who makes them?

The Farmer was modded by someone I found on the Multitool Forum years ago. The micarta scales were done by a friend (years ago as well). Not sure who’s doing this kind of work currently.

Jeff

The Farmer was modded by someone I found on the Multitool Forum years ago. The micarta scales were done by a friend (years ago as well). Not sure who’s doing this kind of work currently.

Jeff
I was about to ask also, they're great! If your friend wants to make money tell him to let us know. :)

Back