If you had to pick one Victorinox, which one would it be?

I've changed my mind again!

For a pocket knife it would be the Vic Sportsman.
SJDTaZb.jpg

It's just the perfect size for a pocket knife, and it has just the right tools for everyday needs.

For belt carry it would be the Vic Forester Grip.

NNs2VAx.jpg

I generally like to keep it as compact as possible and will carry multiple SAKS/tools to cater for all sorts of eventualities, like a Manager on the keychain, a Spartan in your pocket, and something more heavy duty with pliers in your rucksack, but choosing just one I guess compromises on practicality somewhat so you can still cater for as many eventualities in your daily lifestyle. The best compromise if there was only one could be between the Workchamp, Swisschamp, or the Explorer. Ideally though, I think I would have to settle for a custom version of the Swisschamp that would make it 7 layers (small blade swapped for electrician blade, and delete the fish scaler layer), then add some fancy titanium scales with a storage drawer. :)

I'd choose the Victorinox Yeoman and it's not even close (unless I'm living in the woods in this scenario, in which case I'd choose a Huntsman). No other Victorinox comes close to being as useful (especially in an urban environment) in such a small package (three layer). I rotate my regular pocket knives, but this is the only knife that is in my pocket 100% of the time (assuming I'm wearing pants, lol).

You get a good main blade, the best phillips screwdrivers Victorinox has ever produced, corkscrew, package carrier, flat-head screwdriver, scissors, bottle opener, wire stripper, tweezers, magnifying glass (great for slivers), pen, push pin, precision screwdriver, and toothpick (or in my case a mini ferro-rod).

Perfection.

slmuErF.jpg

Last edited:
I'd choose the Victorinox Yeoman and it's not even close (unless I'm living in the woods in this scenario, in which case I'd choose a Huntsman). No other Victorinox comes close to being as useful (especially in an urban environment) in such a small package (three layer). I rotate my regular pocket knives, but this is the only knife that is in my pocket 100% of the time (assuming I'm wearing pants, lol).

You get a good main blade, the best phillips screwdrivers Victorinox has ever produced, corkscrew, package carrier, scissors, bottle opener, wire stripper, tweezers, magnifying glass (great for slivers), pen, push pin, screwdriver, and toothpick (or in my case a mini ferro-rod).

Perfection.

slmuErF.jpg
Nice, love those scales. That looks like a slimmer version of the Explorer and seems perfect for the urban jungle. I would be tempted, but would miss the file, saw, and pliers if it was the one and only SAK.

You get a good main blade, the best phillips screwdrivers Victorinox has ever produced, corkscrew, package carrier, flat-head screwdriver, scissors, bottle opener, wire stripper, tweezers, magnifying glass (great for slivers), pen, push pin, precision screwdriver, and toothpick (or in my case a mini ferro-rod).

Perfection.

slmuErF.jpg

You are right the Yeoman is the ultimate SAK to me as well. Just a shame they don't make them anymore. I refuse to go more then 3 layers so the Explorer is a no go which is why I go with a Super Tinker.

This is the only one you can carry. From now on. :eek:

Which one would you choose and why? Is there a tool or tools that you can't do with out?

I'd go with the Swisschamp. No matter which SAK i take with me, I usually wish i took that one. :)

Looking at some of the replies, I wonder how many would change their answer if you said only one Victorinox knife and it cannot be supplemented with any other brand of knife or pliers tools like Leatherman etc. My guess is a lot of minimalists might change their answer as in reality most SAK owners I know have several and will keep swapping them out based their tasks for the day. The knife you take to the office is unlikely the same one you take to the wilderness, so for there to be only one it surely must cover a wider range of tasks.

been looking at the vic trekker but I wish it sported a pocket clip! that one hand opening is nice.

View attachment 1318837

....Basically the idea is that pocketability may be more important than having scissors. My personal examples of SAKs convenient for pocket carry are the Sportsman or Cadet or something similar.
If I'm going hiking or backpacking, I may toss a Huntsman into my pack, but I definitely wouldn't want to carry that heavy, bulky knife every time I feel like carrying a SAK.
I feel the same way except that the Classic would provide "extreme" pocket-ability. I have never owned a Huntsman. There is a point when a blade is too small for regular use and I feel that way about the Classic (or similar). The spring typically is pretty weak too which compliments my lack of interest in this model or size. I really like the 111mm sized saks, but my use now does not require such daily as it used to or I felt it did. But I still prefer a slightly larger pocket knife when I head to the woods as it makes it easier to cut sticks and branches when the need arises. The small blade is also why I would never routinely carry a utility knife. I consider them a special purpose tool.

I feel the same way except that the Classic would provide "extreme" pocket-ability. I have never owned a Huntsman. There is a point when a blade is too small for regular use and I feel that way about the Classic (or similar). The spring typically is pretty weak too which compliments my lack of interest in this model or size. I really like the 111mm sized saks, but my use now does not require such daily as it used to or I felt it did. But I still prefer a slightly larger pocket knife when I head to the woods as it makes it easier to cut sticks and branches when the need arises. The small blade is also why I would never routinely carry a utility knife. I consider them a special purpose tool.
As regards the Classic, the blades are indeed too small, including the miniscule scissors, which are almost ludicrously tiny. If I anticipate needing scissors, I'll take along the Victorinox Money Clip or carry one of the 91mm SAKs that have scissors.

Last edited:
As regards the Classic, the blades are indeed too small, including the miniscule scissors, which are almost ludicrously tiny. If I anticipate needing scissors, I'll take along the Victorinox Money Clip or carry one of the 91mm SAKs that have scissors.
My "tiny" is the Leatherman Ps4 Squirt. I don't think I've ever used the blade or tiny scissors. The pliers is what I typically use on it. But in the event I forgot a knife entirely which is rare, the Squirt would work for little things I guess.

If I had to chose only 1 and only 1 SAK from now till forever.. I do believe it would be my Small Tinker..;) I like the other ones I have but the Small Tinker and I bonded in the past yr..:p
John

My favorite Swiss Army knife is the Tourist. This is what I carry every day. I have at least 30 different, bought on fleabay as cheap TSA confiscations. If I had to give them all to charity except one, this one would be the keeper.

puta2.jpg

My favorite Swiss Army tank is the PZ 87. If I owned 30 tanks and had to give 29 away, I would keep this one and drive it every day!

Last edited:
Only one SAK for the rest of my life? Oh dear. That makes me sad. But since you insist, it’s gotta be the SwissChamp. (And my autocorrect knows to capitalize the “C”. Cool). Carried on a belt clip, it hangs inside my back pocket, very unobtrusive.

But if I get to pick two, then I’m gonna choose my Climber in Stayglow (loves me some scissors) and the OH Forester with the grippy scales. Climber disappears in the pocket, but never in the dark, and the Forester is a darn good woods knife.

Back