If you like scalloped belts you are gonna love these

AVigil

Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Platinum Member
I picked up some of the news Hermes 406 scalloped belts from TruGrit.

$3 each is a great deal

These are are about half the price of the Yellow Klingspoor scalloped belts, I use the yellow ones all the time but they are pricey for an AO belt.

These Hermes Scalloped belts work great and at this price they are going to become a staple in my routine with handle work and sanding pivots pins.

my0NoJ0.jpg

Handle shaping. And yeah the blue hermes are all ive been usin for handles for a loooong time now. Love em.

Last edited:
What is the advantage of scalloped belts?

have you ever been sanding on your grinder and dug accidentally into the material?

Scallop belt do not do that.

The Hermes gray belts were much better than their regular red ones. Sounds like the blue ones might good too.

The Hermes gray belts were much better than their regular red ones. Sounds like the blue ones might good too.

I am not familiar of those but Hermes AO Blue 406JF and Brown 346mj are great AO belts and have become my go to belts after 50 grit ceramic

Adam, what weight are these belts? J-Flex? Have you had any issues with really bad curling and/or cupping of these belts? I ask because, years ago I tried some Hermes AO J-flex belts
that did this almost immediately. It was so bad, they were almost unusable. Don't remember the exact belt number, but they were blue on the abrasive side and yellow on the back like the one's you've shown. I haven't used any Hermes belts since.

Adam, what weight are these belts? J-Flex? Have you had any issues with really bad curling and/or cupping of these belts? I ask because, years ago I tried some Hermes AO J-flex belts
that did this almost immediately. It was so bad, they were almost unusable. Don't remember the exact belt number, but they were blue on the abrasive side and yellow on the back like the one's you've shown. I haven't used any Hermes belts since.

I use the blue/yellow for handle material and sometimes they curl, sometimes they do not. I use a lot of the Hermes brown 346 for grinding and curling is not a problem.

These hermes scallop belt have not curled.

I run my belts tight on the grinder with a glass platen and cupping has not been an issue even with belts that curled.

When I do have a belt curl I put it under tension and let the grinder run for several minutes on high speed and this takes care of that.

Back