If you were to start over......

Hope you write more to tell us how your 1st GEC compares to your customs and/or your hoped for expectations.

Ray

Just ordered my first GEC. I'll have it by Fri.

One of the things I frequently do with GEC is soften the back square. GEC does tend to leave them sharpish.

Now, I've had a high end custom with very crisp/pointy back squares.....which I left alone....

They fit so perfectly flush with the spring that it looked like a one piece when open. Not going to mess with that visually appealing aspect. But on a GEC, if not already comfortable... out come the stone and ceramic sharpeners...

Last edited:
If it were still 2007, when I started collecting knives, and if I knew what I know now about my preferences, I would buy three or four SAK Classics, to stash in various locations, and on my keyring, and pocket a stainless Sodbuster. Despite the fact that I still enjoy coming around these forums, my carry doesn't change much, and I've unloaded about 85% of my knife accumulation. I've kept a handful of traditionals, a couple Spydercos (and my only Benchmade), and a couple Wenger SI's. Maybe 20 knives left? So, I'd opt to keep the thousands of dollars I've spent on the hobby, in lieu of the $100 dollars or so worth of stuff I actually use.

If it were still 2007, when I started collecting knives, and if I knew what I know now about my preferences, I would buy three or four SAK Classics, to stash in various locations, and on my keyring, and pocket a stainless Sodbuster. Despite the fact that I still enjoy coming around these forums, my carry doesn't change much, and I've unloaded about 85% of my knife accumulation. I've kept a handful of traditionals, a couple Spydercos (and my only Benchmade), and a couple Wenger SI's. Maybe 20 knives left? So, I'd opt to keep the thousands of dollars I've spent on the hobby, in lieu of the $100 dollars or so worth of stuff I actually use.

Yes. This pretty well sums up what I feel now about all the stuff I accumulated over the years. Most of which I ended up selling off and giving away. A couple of small SAK's around and I would have spent that 'other' money on more camping and fishing trips and memories with my better half and kids.

... and I would have spent that 'other' money on more camping and fishing trips and memories with my better half and kids.

Great point. The money I spend on knives doesn't cut into what's really important in life. My self-imposed rule to actually use any knife I buy has so far put the brakes on enough to keep that true. And having too many knives to properly use is also making me think twice about every new purchase. Often, after thinking for a week or two, I decide I don't really need that shiny new knife that caught my eye for some reason. It sounds like I need help. C'mon guys, help me out. ;)

Great point. The money I spend on knives doesn't cut into what's really important in life. My self-imposed rule to actually use any knife I buy has so far put the brakes on enough to keep that true. And having too many knives to properly use is also making me think twice about every new purchase. Often, after thinking for a week or two, I decide I don't really need that shiny new knife that caught my eye for some reason. It sounds like I need help. C'mon guys, help me out. ;)

Doesn't sound to me like you need help. Rather, you are a well balanced individual. :thumbsup: (At least as regards your knife collecting :))

You can see from my sig line I'm trying to rein in too!

Ray

Last edited:

I know that I had my own way of keeping knife purchasing down, and that was the "one in-one out" rule. When it started to get ridiculous, I made it a point to give/sell off an old one. But even that, I realized over time that my hobby had go out of hand. I had more knives that I could ever use in four lifetimes. The obsession kind of creeps up on you, and you don't really realize how far down the rabbit hole you've went.

I don't know if I can help you, because I'm not really sure about exactly what happened, but the whole knife thing, along with the whole gun think kind of faded for me. After my big knife downsize, the guns were next. Once before I phrased it, that it was like awakening from some temporary insanity and wondering what the hell I had been doing. I did a lot of give away's right here on this forum and with my family. I can't begin to tell you how liberating it was. I think I had got to a point that my possessions owned me, instead of the other way around. The more I gave away, the lighter I felt.

For whatever reason, I'm about 98% over the knife thing. And the gun thing as well. I'm still a knife lover, and I would never think about walking out the front door without a knife in my pocket, or my small handgun in my other pocket. Life is not Mr. Rogers neighborhood. Twice in the past 20 years I've had to point a gun at a low life and advise him in very strong language to not even think about it. Once in my life, I had to crawl into a upside down old Datsun B210 that was starting to burn and cut a seat belt of the reckless driver that almost killed herself and the baby in the car seat. I had a nice sharp knife in my pocket and it ended up saving a life. To me a pocket knife is as important as my pants. But a few stashed around is good enough. Same with guns. A few good ones is 'enough'. I don't feel the need to own them all anymore.

It's okay to collect something. But don't let it get in the way of real life. The older I get, the more I think about my dad and his way of life. He kept a few things on him, and then just went about the business of life.

... along with the whole gun think kind of faded for me...

LOL My Dad recently offered to give me several guns and I turned him down. Too many different calibers already. I really need to get rid of some. After I shoot up all the ammo I've got for them. :)

Just arrived....my first GEC

So my thought process was to get the best quality GEC I could currently find. So I looked for a Northfield...as these are touted as their "premium" brand. Let me know how you feel because what a brand says and what they produce may be different things. But anyway...it helped narrow my search.

So many styles but I wanted a multi blade to "test drive" and searched for a popular style. I settled on the 66 stockman. Traditional styling ... mid size...and it seems to be a well liked model. I'm also a fan of stag so I searched for a 66 calf roper (prefer the blade style to the muskrat style) with the best stag I could find. Which led me to a serialized, natural stag 66.

Upon opening I liked what I saw. Stag is very nice. Nice heft & size to the knife. Nice pinched bolsters. Large clip blade and wharncliffe both have nice snap. Pen blade is meh but is not loose. Clip blade is not centered but it opens & closes cleanly and does not rub. Factory edges are sharp enough for my EDC needs. I'm not a fan of mirrored blades but I can accept it on this model / it's not a deal breaker. No half stops. Backspring is flush when fully opened & closed.

So initial report is positive. It's a knife I'm won't hesitate to carry & use. I'd like to maybe find a Tidioute 35 Churchill as I like that style too.

Time will tell if I buy more. But I'm having fun exploring GEC. This knife was on the more expensive side but still much less than my customs.

Honestly I'm hesitant to compare to my customs because it's apples & oranges. I will say that my initial impression is very favorable compared to to other production knives I've owned (Spyderco, etc)

My only nit pick at the moment is the off center main blade but honestly I don't think it really matters much. I can't expect dead center on a production 3 blade. Looking forward to keeping up with you guys. I am on the list for Charlie's lambsfoot and I hope I get a call.

Have a great weekend

Ron

View attachment 1144879 View attachment 1144880 View attachment 1144881

Last edited:

So my thought process was to get the best quality GEC I could currently find. So I looked for a Northfield...as these are touted as their "premium" brand. Let me know how you feel because what a brand says and what they produce may be different things. But anyway...it helped narrow my search.

So many styles but I wanted a multi blade to "test drive" and searched for a popular style. I settled on the 66 stockman. Traditional styling ... mid size...and it seems to be a well liked model. I'm also a fan of stag so I searched for a 66 calf roper (prefer the blade style to the muskrat style) with the best stag I could find. Which led me to a serialized, natural stag 66.

Upon opening I liked what I saw. Stag is very nice. Nice heft & size to the knife. Nice pinched bolsters. Large clip blade and wharncliffe both have nice snap. Pen blade is meh but is not loose. Clip blade is not centered but it opens & closes cleanly and does not rub. Factory edges are sharp enough for my EDC needs. I'm not a fan of mirrored blades but I can accept it on this model / it's not a deal breaker. No half stops. Backspring is flush when fully opened & closed.

So initial report is positive. It's a knife I'm won't hesitate to carry & use. I'd like to maybe find a Tidioute 35 Churchill as I like that style too.

Time will tell if I buy more. But I'm having fun exploring GEC. This knife was on the more expensive side but still much less than my customs.

Honestly I'm hesitant to compare to my customs because it's apples & oranges. I will say that my initial impression is very favorable compared to to other production knives I've owned (Spyderco, etc)

My only nit pick at the moment is the off center main blade but honestly I don't think it really matters much. I can't expect dead center on a production 3 blade. Looking forward to keeping up with you guys. I am on the list for Charlie's lambsfoot and I hope I get a call.

Have a great weekend

Ron

View attachment 1144879 View attachment 1144880 View attachment 1144881
Nice choice for your first GEC produced knife. The #66 is a pretty good representation of their quality, not their best work, but no slouch either. Seems you also managed to get ahold of some nice stag on that one. Well done!

Nice. I don't think the Northfield label is of higher quality, but it is a higher level of decoration. I never have any qualms about ordering a Tidioute. You should know that GEC puts a really steep bevel on their knives. They're sharp enough, but go to sharpen a pencil or make a fuzz stick and they'll skate right off as the shoulder of the bevel hits wood before the edge does. Easily fixed if it's an issue for you. Caught me by surprise the first time.

You should know that GEC puts a really steep bevel on their knives. They're sharp enough, but go to sharpen a pencil or make a fuzz stick and they'll skate right off as the shoulder of the bevel hits wood before the edge does. Easily fixed if it's an issue for you. Caught me by surprise the first time.

The last couple gec's I bought to use I thought "I will try and use the factory edge until it's dull". My normal procedure is to sharpen a knife to my liking before I use it. A couple of cuts later and I remembered how bad the angle of the factory edges are. They didn't last long after that.

Ron Sabbagh Ron Sabbagh

I have lots of user gecs. Let me know what patterns you want to try and if I have them, you can borrow them. Just send them back, hahaha. Anyhow, in this world of online knife market places, you can't walk into a store and put the knife in your hand. I can tell almost instantly once a knife is in my hand if I'm going to like the pattern and blade selection. I.e. the same pattern with two springs has a completely different feel than the same pattern with one spring. Also a pattern that has the main blade switched end for end can have a completely different feel. For instance I love a 57 dislike a 56. I also prefer a 25 over a 26. My problem is, I don't know until it's in hand, and that is an expensive proposition....anyhow, pm me what you want to try.
Take care,
Josh

If I could start over I’d like to have the discipline to collect only one maker like Spyderco or one pattern like a Barlow. But there are just too many knives I like or want to have for that to ever happen

If I were starting over, and know what I know now...
I would have bought two or three dozen of the 'Icel' brand 3 5/8" spear and pen jack. Great steel, great snap, middling f&f, and cheap as dirt.
And a handful of Boker #492 barlows. Neither of those knives are made any more.
The Cognet 'Squirrel' is still in production, and I also like them, to use and give away.

I have fewer than a dozen knives, and some of those are retired worn down long term carries.

Michael

Opinel garden knife is easy to open,even when the wood swells because a lot of the blade is set out of handle.Ill get couple more because they sharpen up and cut like straight razors.Love 12c27 mod,i could shave my beard with that knife with minor prep on fine stone,but keep toothy edge on it.

Back