Ikuchi

I’m really excited to see how this one flips open. I have had my eyes on it but am wondering how well the compression lock will work with the “bic lighter” style opening.

At the car wash today
20190406-085352.jpg

20190406-085613.jpg

I intend to get one of these. Won't be this week(I just ordered a Raffir Noble Chaparral) but maybe next paycheck if one of the big knife sellers has it in stock.

Nice photo! How well does the compression lock work? Is it easy to disengage?
It is for me. The cutout is a nice size, not as big as the pm2/para 3 but it's good. The comp lock and lock release cutout reminds me of the Mantra 3

Just picked mine up at the PO.

I like it. It fits nicely (in terms of size) between a Smock and Positron in the knife case. I prefer larger knives w/blades 3.5-4" long but already knew that the Ikuchi would be smaller, so I certainly don't hold that against it.

I can't "Bic flick" the blade open w/my thumb. Can only open it w/the tip of my index finger, which allows for a better hold/hand position than using the thumb (even if I could do that) anyway. The detent on the knife is NOT light enough for me to gravity or wrist flick it open, vertically or horizontally, as I can w/most other Taiwan made compression lock Spydercos. However, I can easily flick it open horizontally when releasing the lock bar, as I can with all Spyderco compression lock knives, but it's difficult to release the compression lock bar w/a finger tip because the lock bar is not fully exposed. I have to use the fingernail on my index finger to release the lock bar instead. I keep my nails cut short; it may be harder to do this w/longer nails.

There is no way to use the Spydie hole to open the knife, since the entire blade is covered by the handle when closed. The alignment of the Spydie hole w/corresponding holes in the handle is a nice touch. You could mistake this decorative hole for a lanyard hole if you weren't paying attention, especially since there isn't a lanyard hole in the handle to begin with. Frankly, I'm not a fan of lanyard holes anyway because of design compromises made (made too often IMO) to include one in the handle which often requires an improper (or less than ideal) placement of the clip on the handle; below the lanyard hole so that the knife sticks too far out of the pocket, as is the case w/the Smock and Silverax; 2 other flippers. So, I don't miss there not being a lanyard hole on the Ikuchi.

I'm also not a big fan of CF/G10 laminate scales that Spyderco seems to be using far too often lately; the Amalgam, Smock, Silverax and Mantra3 being 4 other knives using it as well. Just don't like the feel of the laminate as much when compared w/other materials but I can live w/it; it's not a deal killer for me. On the other hand, I very much like the deep pocket wire clip that (w/o a lanyard hole) is placed right at the top of the handle w/the knife in a tip up closed position, which is the way it should be.

Given it's size and appearance, the Ikuchi easily could be dismissed as just another gentleman's EDC knife. However, given the shape of the blade and handle, the Ikuchi can also be considered (and used as) a SD knife as well.

The thin, pointy upswept blade makes it a kwaiken that can be held in comfortably in a conventional or reverse grip. Its small size and light weight makes switching grips much easier than w/larger and/or heavier knives. Add the quick means of deployment with the flipper dial or by doing a compression lock bar release flick and you'd got a lethal tactical weapon.

So, the Ikuchi is a keeper and look forward to carrying it on occasion. It won't replace the small and lightweight Bastinelli/Marcaida Pika karambit that I carry daily but the Ikuchi will be a useful supplement (or alternative to) the Pika whenever I decide to carry it too.

Last edited:
Be careful the tip is close to the edge of the liners and I have to small cuts on my pinky.

Yes it certainly is, if your one who slides your finger along the knife when pulling from pocket I'd advise caution! Just a slight amount of pressure against it when you go in for it is enough to catch that needle like tip.

They better not send one to @NickShabazz he's gonna tear Spyderco a new one on that! It would be especially bad for those with small fingers, I wear 2XL gloves and it does not take much to catch the tip for me.

Love the knife but I can envision a scenario where someone over enthusiastically goes for the Ikuchi, flesh or glove grabs tip, pulls it open and continues sinking in.

Be careful the tip is close to the edge of the liners and I have three small cuts on my pinky.

Yes it certainly is, if your one who slides your finger along the knife when pulling from pocket I'd advise caution! Just a slight amount of pressure against it when you go in for it is enough to catch that needle like tip.

They better not send one to @NickShabazz he's gonna tear Spyderco a new one on that! It would be especially bad for those with small fingers, I wear 2XL gloves and it does not take much to catch the tip for me.

Love the knife but I can envision a scenario where someone over enthusiastically goes for the Ikuchi, flesh or glove grabs tip, pulls it open and continues sinking in.

Hmmm . . . ????

I had to pull out my Ikuchi to try to figure out what you guys are talking about and these comments don't make much sense to me.

I agree that there is some risk of cutting yourself on the tip of the knife IF you run your fingers along the bottom of the liners where the tip resides when the knife is closed AND if you force the flesh of your finger tip between the liners where it can encounter the tip BUT my question is, Why would you ever do that?

When the knife is clipped in your pocket (or even placed loose in your pocket) either left or right handed w/the knife in the tip up position, your finger would be placed on the top of the knife handle where the flipper dial is located, where you cannot possibly run your finger against the tip because the tip is located on the opposite side of the handle.

Even just handling the knife in a normal way requires you to hold it w/the top of the knife in the palm of your hand w/the back of the blade and the tip facing away from your hand, such that is is impossible to cut your a finger on it.

The only way you would run your finger over the bottom of the liner in the way described is if you placed the knife "upside down" with the clip on the bottom and the closed knife in a tip down position which would be entirely impractical because you cannot open the knife using the flipper dial (or in any other way) if the knife is positioned in this manner.

The only way to open the knife if you pull it out of your pocket with this orientation requires to you first rotate the knife 180 degrees before you can use the flipper dial to open the knife. This just makes no sense to me and sounds like the kind of nonsense people have mentioned about the "dangers" of the Tropen. Both of these knives are entirely safe to use w/o any risk of being cut, if handled in a normal way.

Hmmm . . . ????

I had to pull out my Ikuchi to try to figure out what you guys are talking about and these comments don't make much sense to me.

I agree that there is some risk of cutting yourself on the tip of the knife IF you run your fingers along the bottom of the liners where the tip resides when the knife is closed AND if you force the flesh of your finger tip between the liners where it can encounter the tip BUT my question is, Why would you ever do that?

When the knife is clipped in your pocket (or even placed loose in your pocket) either left or right handed w/the knife in the tip up position, your finger would be placed on the top of the knife handle where the flipper dial is located, where you cannot possibly run your finger against the tip because the tip is located on the opposite side of the handle.

Even just handling the knife in a normal way requires you to hold it w/the top of the knife in the palm of your hand w/the back of the blade and the tip facing away from your hand, such that is is impossible to cut your a finger on it.

The only way you would run your finger over the bottom of the liner in the way described is if you placed the knife "upside down" with the clip on the bottom and the closed knife in a tip down position which would be entirely impractical because you cannot open the knife using the flipper dial (or in any other way) if the knife is positioned in this manner.

The only way to open the knife if you pull it out of your pocket with this orientation requires to you first rotate the knife 180 degrees before you can use the flipper dial to open the knife. This just makes no sense to me and sounds like the kind of nonsense people have mentioned about the "dangers" of the Tropen. Both of these knives are entirely safe to use w/o any risk of being cut, if handled in a normal way.

And... if it is in your pocket isn't the blade facing the back of the pocket away from your hand? So even running your hand in your pocket to get something wouldn't risk cutting because the blade is up and facing away.
Or am I missing something?

I'm a tip down carrier but thats not an option here.

Back