Ikuchi

I spent over an hour fiddling with it. I've decided to return it.

Not sure what to buy instead. It's back to the drawing board.

Returned as 'broken' or as new? It would suck for the next person to get this knife as new after it has been re-lubed and screws have been messed with.

3A8D9063-1CD5-4A00-8945-11C66C240A08.jpeg I would give it a few days. I am liking mine better each day and I ordered a second one. Put oil on the pivot today and it flys open now.

That's too bad.

Returned as 'broken' or as new? It would suck for the next person to get this knife as new after it has been re-lubed and screws have been messed with.

Personally, I think that should be returned as "defective" since it does not function as desired. However, I'm not sure if the dealer will accept it for return on that basis or direct the buyer to send it to Spyderco for coverage under the warranty provisions instead. Return privileges will vary.

I had a nice chat with Mary at DLT. She understood. Told me it was too bad because they were sold out.

She said to include a note about what was wrong with it. Full refund. They will send it back to Spyderco.

Really good company to deal with

20190412-185921.jpg

So.....anyone have a lead on someone who could make wood or micarta scales for these??? :D

Yeah his range of models is just a bit limited. Cuscadi might be another option, but I've heard differing opinions of his service lately.

Good call. Did you put in an order Boxer?

I contacted him once but I guess he was busy. I've seen a lot of his stuff though and it's very impressive.

Not sure what to buy instead. It's back to the drawing board.

I liked the looks of it from the first glace. Ordered one just as fast as I could. Got it....

It's a neat looking knife... Nice thin blade too. Mine was 0.016 BTE, and as I removed the heavy factory scratch pattern of the sides of the blade, I got mine down to 0.14 BTE. So, it slices pretty nicely. I adjusted the pivot until I had it where I liked it. Of course mine was one of the ones that the blade tip was just ever so slightly proud of the handle when it was closed.. So after it cut me a few times (definitely NOT cool), and I figured out what the heck was happening, I fixed that too. Learned I much prefer just squeezing the compression lock and flicking the blade out, instead of using the thumb/finger tip wheel.
After carrying it and using it for a week... decided it just wasn't for me and sold it at a good price to a guy I work with.

Neat looking knife for sure... Just turned out to not be my particular cup of tea. I did give it an honest go though.

u.w.

I liked the looks of it from the first glace. Ordered one just as fast as I could. Got it....

It's a neat looking knife... Nice thin blade too. Mine was 0.016 BTE, and as I removed the heavy factory scratch pattern of the sides of the blade, I got mine down to 0.14 BTE. So, it slices pretty nicely. I adjusted the pivot until I had it where I liked it. Of course mine was one of the ones that the blade tip was just ever so slightly proud of the handle when it was closed.. So after it cut me a few times (definitely NOT cool), and I figured out what the heck was happening, I fixed that too. Learned I much prefer just squeezing the compression lock and flicking the blade out, instead of using the thumb/finger tip wheel.
After carrying it and using it for a week... decided it just wasn't for me and sold it at a good price to a guy I work with.

Neat looking knife for sure... Just turned out to not be my particular cup of tea. I did give it an honest go though.

u.w.
Thanks for those details. What didn’t you like that prompted you to sell it?

From what I’ve seen I’m skeptical about the compression lock access and that perilous tip when closed, so I’m not sure I want to pull the trigger on one.

Even though I have been bit by mine I got a second one. What I like is the lightweight, flipper and blade length. I am looking forward to the next variation and CQI.

In Canada stores now too so not flippery enough to freak out the border folks.

Not expensive either but I'll probably wait till I can see in person. Came into stock the same time as the Respect of course,,,

Thanks for those details. What didn’t you like that prompted you to sell it?

Hard to say exactly. I didn't mind the tiny compression lock access at all. Yes, you can only get basically your nail on it, but that was not ever in any way, an issue or problem. In fact, as stated, I preferred using the compression lock to deploy the blade, over the thumb wheel. Cold wet hands & finger tips, and that thumb wheel wasn't always so awesome - but the compression lock worked amazingly regardless. I never messed with it at all with gloves on, so couldn't say on that. That said, I don't think the mindset was necessarily toward using it with gloves on, or with cold wet hands and fingers...
I really couldn't say what it was - I know that isn't helpful at all...
I could say perhaps that... Spyderco used to proudly say they designed their knives with the lights out - which meant that while they may not have been necessarily the beautiful-ist knives out there - they were for sure one of, if not THE most practical, handy, best 'in hand' 'in use' knives on the planet (my opinion of course)... I personally found that to be true, and that is why I came to love Spyderco knives.
The Ikuchi is a very cool, and very neat design, no doubt. Maybe the lights were kept on when the Ikuchi was designed.. I gave it a fair shake, and while it is no doubt gonna be for some, it just isn't for me. Absolutely no disrespect meant toward Paul or Spyderco either - it is a very cool little knife and neat design.

u.w.

Hard to say exactly. I didn't mind the tiny compression lock access at all. Yes, you can only get basically your nail on it, but that was not ever in any way, an issue or problem. In fact, as stated, I preferred using the compression lock to deploy the blade, over the thumb wheel. Cold wet hands & finger tips, and that thumb wheel wasn't always so awesome - but the compression lock worked amazingly regardless. I never messed with it at all with gloves on, so couldn't say on that. That said, I don't think the mindset was necessarily toward using it with gloves on, or with cold wet hands and fingers...
I really couldn't say what it was - I know that isn't helpful at all...
I could say perhaps that... Spyderco used to proudly say they designed their knives with the lights out - which meant that while they may not have been necessarily the beautiful-ist knives out there - they were for sure one of, if not THE most practical, handy, best 'in hand' 'in use' knives on the planet (my opinion of course)... I personally found that to be true, and that is why I came to love Spyderco knives.
The Ikuchi is a very cool, and very neat design, no doubt. Maybe the lights were kept on when the Ikuchi was designed.. I gave it a fair shake, and while it is no doubt gonna be for some, it just isn't for me. Absolutely no disrespect meant toward Paul or Spyderco either - it is a very cool little knife and neat design.

u.w.
Thanks for the response! My first obstacle to an Ikuchi purchase is that I have a Boos Blades Smoke, which seems very close in several ways to the Ikuchi, apart from having a thicker blade stock. I'm not sure that difference is enough to interest me, even though I generally like what I see in the Ikuchi.

71NVMvU.jpg

This isn't really my kind of knife style (Japanese-style, fragile tip, and carbon fiber) but I ended up ordering one a couple days ago. I jumped on it the minute I got an email saying it was in-stock, mostly because I'd missed out on the Smock... another knife I was sort of on-the-fence about. Anyway, it was a bit of an impulse buy but I look forward to playing around with it. Unfortunately it won't arrive until after the long weekend! So here I wait impatiently.

Back