I'll bet this starts some trouble!

Over and over as I read many of the threads here I keep wondering if I and Jackknife and a handful of other "old codgers" are the only ones left who truly appreciate folding knives that don't come with locking blades made of exotic steels, springy little pocket clips, weird finishes, strange handles, and oddly shaped blades. I mean, what is it that so many people are doing or planning to do with their knives that a simple Case Sodbuster won't do? Do a lot of you fight your way home from school every day through radioactive landscapes and apocalyptic scenarios filled with mutants, zombies, terrorists, and drug-crazed killers of every other known persuasion? :rolleyes:

Simple answer: A Case sodbuster can't be opened easily with one hand into a locked position, used to cut something, then unlocked with one hand and placed back into a clipped position on my pocket.

:rolleyes:

Personally, I like traditionl knives, and the more modern ones.I have at least as many traditional as modern knives.

i mean theres something novel about riding a bike to work....but many more people would rather drive....one is simpler, been arond longer, and some may say more dependable....the latter is easier and safer this is how i see the new vs old knifes stacking up.....but in the end they both get the job done and preferences are what make the economy go round

I am not into the overtly tactical stuff either, but I do appreciate a knife that is easy to use and safe. I find the traditional slip joint to be relatively difficult to open. Especially in the smaller multi-blade examples with strong springs, they can be downright dangerous IMO, as it is hard to get a good purchase on the blade and they can snap at you very easily. A knife like the ones you criticize are easy to get out of the pocket, open, use and close. So easy that they can be used one-handed and some with either hand. That is nice when the other hand is busy holding the thing that needs to be cut or opened. The fact that they lock is another margin of safety as well. It's just a good format in many ways and an evolution beyond the traditional patterns, which also have an undeniable appeal in their own way.

But I do agree with you that the emphasis on tactical is a bit overboard.

Well, I'm not an old codger myself, but a nice case slipjoint will spark a lot of conversation when its pulled out and used. A tactical folder if opened and used quickly will sometimes scare the sh*t out of people. I have owned a few decent tactical folders, but they now rest in the back of my closet and a vintage case stockman now sits happily in my back pocket.

My job simply requires a locking knife..... I would go through a sodbuster every month if thats what i chose to use...... I have owned and still own a couple traditional knives... but they are not meant for really rough jobs... Let alone.. I'm not going to expose my bone knives to chemicals, etc.. Also, they open faster... and have fancy little clips for your pocket..
I see your from florida..... your probably just too old... and your upset because the world is changing...:)

No offense meant, but generally the quality of "traditional" production slip joints is poor, plain and simple.

If you pay enough to get a nicely put together slip joint, they still remain distinctly unhandy because the fact that they don't have a pocket clip, hard to et open, etc.

I love them all!!! Fixed or folding, frame lock, liner lock , lock back, slippies, tactical, practical you name it...if it has a blade I am interested.

I have never, personally been in a situation where I needed a knife SO fast that I didn't have time to reach into my pocket, safely open my slipjoint folder, use it SAFELY, close it, and return it to it's home in my pocket. I realize that everyone has different tastes in knives, and that's okay. I don't prefer tactical, but I do have a Benchmade Griptilian that I use, and like, but it really doesn't do anything better than my Case med. stockman. I guess what I'm trying to say is ''Different strokes for different folks", but is safety REALLY an issue?

Over and over as I read many of the threads here I keep wondering if I and Jackknife and a handful of other "old codgers" are the only ones left who truly appreciate folding knives that don't come with locking blades made of exotic steels, springy little pocket clips, weird finishes, strange handles, and oddly shaped blades. I mean, what is it that so many people are doing or planning to do with their knives that a simple Case Sodbuster won't do? Do a lot of you fight your way home from school every day through radioactive landscapes and apocalyptic scenarios filled with mutants, zombies, terrorists, and drug-crazed killers of every other known persuasion? :rolleyes:

Why do you think you're in a position to judge what people carry? I could just as easily question your inability to accept change. If you were injured, would you stick with good old Bayer aspirin, because it's tried and true or would you take the prescription the doctor gave for a newer more effective pain killer? It's only good if it's old or has been around for a several decades or longer? Traditional knives make up the majority of my collection and I carry one every day. I do however have non-traditional folders I carry as well. They are all good.

You are absolutely right, a Case Sodbuster is all the knife anybody really needs. Just add a thumb stud, lock, clip and VG10 steel and you would really be on to something. You could also coat it black and call it the Zombiebuster to boost sales. Just a thought.

Even before liner / frame locks, I carried a lockback instead of a traditional slipjoint. Plain and simply, a locking blade is safer to use. The only slipjoint I ever carry is a Swiss Army Knife and I wished it locked. Slipjoints are classic, but most people are more comfortable with a locking blade of some type, whether it is an axis lock or some other future innovation.:)

Yeah, and what's with all this dependance on electricity and indoor plumbing, anyway??? We used to walk to school in the snow and we liked it that way. Next thing you know they will be predicting that some day every home will have a computer!!

You can't open a slipjoint on a ladder.It all started when some guy tried to open a "slippy" one-handed on a ladder...and dropped it.
The he thought hmmm.."How can I safely operate this tool one-handed?":confused:

"Then you get what we have here today...which is the way he wants it":D

I have far more slip joints than locking blades, of my current EDC only two, my Benchmade Spike and Kershaw have locks. Right now there is a Barlow in my pocket. I have no problem opening a slip joint knife no matter were I am or what I am doing. The only place I can think of where the "speed" might be a factor is in self-defense and for me that is a null matter...I have a CCW. I think part of it is simply what you are raised with.

If I were to be carrying around a KaBar USMC 10 inch fixed blade at all times, then I could understand your wacky "zombie wasteland filled with insaniacs that want to hurt you every step of your way home" scenario. I don't carry a huge knife because I'm not the Road Warrior. The fact of the matter is that I'm an electrician and contractors want the job done... PERIOD. To do this in an effective, safe, and timely manner I prefer a one hand opener with spring assist. What's wrong with that? I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with a traditional slipjoint knife, but why would I want to dig into my pocket (with gloves on) and try to locate the knife, put down my pliers, open the knife with two hands (TWO HANDS??!!), do what I have to do with it, close it up and toss it back into the bottom of my pocket? That's crazy talk. I pull out my Kershaw, or SOG, or Benchmade, or whatever, I pop it open, cut what I gotta cut, and clip it back to my pocket.

It's a brand new world where people are trying to accomplish tasks quickly and safely. Are you on a computer or did you telegraph this to the forum? Perhaps you used a carrier pigeon or the Pony Express. C'mon man get with the times.

The only reason this thread would start trouble is because you've started the thread by insulting anyone who doesn't see things your way.

That beind said, let me address the point of the post. We buy what we buy because we want to. I'm sure that you only buy what's absolutely necessary, right? I mean, why buy all this fancy food when we can survive on water and bread? I'm sure you only buy for necessity and never buy for anything else. Tell us oh wise one, what else are we doing that's so stupid?

The only reason this thread would start trouble is because you've started the thread by insulting anyone who doesn't see things your way.

That beind said, let me address the point of the post. We buy what we buy because we want to. I'm sure that you only buy what's absolutely necessary, right? I mean, why buy all this fancy food when we can survive on water and bread? I'm sure you only buy for necessity and never buy for anything else. Tell us oh wise one, what else are we doing that's so stupid?

Well said. Exactly the point I wanted to make, and you beat me to it.

Back