Illinois knife laws for minor

A little bit confused on the Illinois knife laws, there is a lot of different answers on what is legal and what is not.
I am 16, live in Illinois, and do possess my own firearm owners identification card. All I am looking for is to see if I can carry a pocket knife(not a switchblade). I’ve read things that say minors can carry a knife on them and things that say you have to be 18 or 21 to carry a knife. Could someone please help clear the air a little bit?
Thanks

If you're talking about a regular folding pocket knife, it's fine. This page has a good summary of IL law with the actual statute text and some case law: https://knifeup.com/illinois-knife-law/

I've been researching knives laws for years now in all 50 states, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a state law that would prevent a minor from having or carrying a pocket knife. Generally speaking minors are simply supposed to follow the same law as adults for knives. There is a difference between a store not selling one to you, and actually carrying it; most of the time that's just store policy, not law, and it doesn't affect carry.

Only times I've seen pocket knives restricted is at the city level. If you're in a major metropolitan city, you should check your municipal code. Chicago for example, has this law under 8-24-020:

(c) No person 18 years of age or under shall carry, possess or conceal on or about his person, any knife, the blade of which is two inches in length or longer.​

Back