Iltis - Ox Head

Good evening Garry, the inside eye of the head at the bottom measures almost exactly 2 5/16 at it's longest point.
She measures 3/4 at the widest point across.
As far as length, I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking 28 to 32" You all might know better than than me. I'm 6'2" and I have long arms. It's actually a curse because I always have to buy my shirts in a tall size or the sleeve lenght makes me look like Jethro Bodine. :( Shucks yall.
That is a full size eye. Despite the stated dimensions being about what the American axes are I suspect the taper of your axes eye will be over sized. I was hoping for the smaller size and then you would have more options. Not sure there will be an easy solution on that one...

That is a full size eye. Despite the stated dimensions being about what the American axes are I suspect the taper of your axes eye will be over sized. I was hoping for the smaller size and then you would have more options. Not sure there will be an easy solution on that one...

Thank you Garry. That figures that I'd have an oddball or one that'd be difficult. Welcome to the story of my life.
Thank you for giving it a go.
I guess if all else fails, I do have a hickory tree outback?

Thank you Garry. That figures that I'd have an oddball or one that'd be difficult. Welcome to the story of my life.
Thank you for giving it a go.
I guess if all else fails, I do have a hickory tree outback?
Take it into your local hardware store and see how it matches up. It does look fat though.

Take it into your local hardware store and see how it matches up. It does look fat though.
You know Garry, That's an excellent idea. I've sharpened a pencil and traced thru the eye onto an index card and placed it in my wallet. Now where ever I'm at, and they have hafts,, I'm prepared.

Does anybody/company sell dried, hickory slabs, ready for me to attempt to carve (butcher) into a haft for this head?

Last edited:
Does anybody/company sell dried, hickory slabs, ready for me to attempt to carve (butcher) into a haft for this head?

I know it doesn't compare to riven and air-dried hickory but we have a Woodcrafters that sells dimensional lumber. I've had good luck with it to make handles for tools/axes. The Hickory and Ash were decent enough to use.
The largest pieces cost about $75 but if you can squeeze 5-6 handles that out of them then I guess it gets closer to affordable for handle shapes that you just can't buy retail or at least easily online.

For example:

Perhaps quinton will chime in regarding possible availability of a billet or stave. Otherwise keep poking around in hardware stores for a handle. As Agent_H suggests you might check out your local lumber supplier. This won't be a big box store but rather a specialty store (usually with a milling operation out back) for hobbyists, cabinet and furniture makers. In my neck of the woods (Ottawa, Ontario) enticing-looking 2 x 3 'shorts' (bargain bin, anything under 4 feet) show up regularly in Birch, Beech, Ash, Cherry, Maple, Walnut, Elm and Red or White Oak. Finding a piece with straight grain and decent grain orientation is a different story but invoking such a quest will give you the perfect excuse to start visiting the place on a regular basis. My spirits have always been lifted by the scent of fresh dressed lumber.

Last edited:
Photo from cityofthesouth showing the hickory billets he got from House:

Now things are getting interesting. 4 billets from House. Grain looks good - I can't see any run-out upon close inspection. Looks like one of them is heart wood.

hickory_billets by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

...You too can get boards from House. Hickory is HEAVY - shipping sucks, but the final result is still less $ than a finished handle. However, they have altered the website a little so that the special requests are actually chosen during your order rather than in the comments (and that was a good idea). The negative of it is, it seems they don't bother to read the comments. You'll just have to e-mail them and request the billets.

Back