1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

I'm done with Benchmade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Torquem, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minirehak212

Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    Nope. Fall shutty, centered and no play whatsoever. This is on my Rift, Contego and Grip. I can't speak for any other models, but mine are perfect.

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Imagine when the OP actually comes back and sees this :rolleyes:

MtnHawk1 and lzeplin like this.
  3. Colorado Luckydog

Colorado Luckydog

Jan 29, 2016
    I wanted a blaze orange folder so I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and picked up a BM Griptillian. I got it home and could not get over the cheap ass plastic. I returned it the next day. It seems to me that BM is a cheaply made knife with an expensive price tag. Even though I own a couple OF BM's, I too think I'm done.

4. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    The narrator HAS TO BE Morgan Freeman!

halden.doerge and Danke42 like this.
  5. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    So...the cheap ass plastic handles weren't cheap ass plastic handles in the store? They became cheap ass plastic handles when you got the knife home?

You might have a problem with your home :p

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  6. Danketch

Danketch Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2007
    If OP is returning multiple knives from multiple manufacturers, maybe its not a QC issue, but an OP issue. I've collected and used knives for 25 years, including multiple BM and ZT's, and never sent any back.

7. slakercruster

slakercruster

Aug 8, 2015
    Jeeeesus OP, I've owned over a dozen Benchmade over the years. NEVER had an issue. Has something changed? My last ones were bought last year. Always perfect...auto, assisted, whatever...perfect.

8. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I distrust Benchmade’s QC in general. My general complaints are:
    - Soft heat treatments
    - Bad centering
    - Blade play

The majority of Benchmade knives I have used (~10 over 6 years) had one or more of those issues. Given their often premium price structure for their products, I find it notable that several domestic and international makers produce knives with better quality control AND lower prices.

My sole experience with their warranty department was overall positive, though. I bought a knife used for very little because the owner’s friend had taken an angle grinder to the blade and had done a super ugly sharpening job. I sent in a knife for a blade replacement and the process was completely painless. This was in 2014, so I don’t know what it’s like presently.

But, like the OP, I gave up on Benchmade. Heck, even if their QC was better, I still rarely like the prices of their products. I’ll stick with Spyderco, Hogue, ZT, WE, Kizer, Cold Steel, and the other brands who offer excellent products at generally-acceptable prices.

PNWhovian, marrenmiller and b00n like this.
  9. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    People say they are NOT going to judge before more info is given, but when the OP doesn't respond with requests within the same day (not everyone logs BF everyday) that's enough to denounce the thread as a shill/troll/click bait. Funny.

willc, Minirehak212 and marrenmiller like this.
  10. Hologram

Hologram Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I bought a blue Bugout a little while back and just sent it back to the dealer (not BHQ) for a refund because the axis lock kept grinding, was so hard to release at times it even hurt my fingers, and it wouldn’t loosen up.

I just tried again with the black BHQ release, and it should arrive next week. If this one isn’t any better I’m sending it back too. The only way Benchmade will improve their qc is if enough people just won’t accept shoddy merchandise. If it’s not good, send it back within the return period. Hopefully they’ll get the message and do something about it.

4mer_FMF and DocJD like this.
  11. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    I wish the OP would have came back to the thread, seems like he is just stirring the pot. When I bought my 940 I looked at 3 different ones and bought the display is was the best of the bunch. Few weeks later bought a mini grip same thing went through all they had, one was bad out of center, the other bad grind.

The Anthem came out and I was so excited. Went to 3 different stores looked at 4 different knives all off center, uneven grinds, blade play. I gave up on finding one that was worth the price. Then the controversy came out over the gun thing, and funding the left.I done with Benchmade now. I still have 4 and will carry and use them but I'm not interested in ever buying another one..

12. matty308

matty308

Mar 20, 2014
    Sounds like they have a serious problem with QC. For a company that is "top tier" that is a joke in my eyes. These stories are something you'd expect when ordering a cheap knock off knife off Alibaba or something.

13. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    I made my decision in 07 with BM, crk was the answer for me. Hope you find the brand you like or the custom maker for you.
    I do like some of their models and have came close purchasing another over the years. I gave this 720 to my buddy years ago and it has rotated back to me to sharpen. He is in the IBEW and loves it image.jpg

14. fly36gti

fly36gti

May 28, 2016
    I keep saying it's the "new benchmade"!
    His story pails compared to mine.
    I too am done with bm except maybe my 760LFTi 's.

15. Therom

Therom

Nov 13, 2013
    It would be good to get details on the issue

I had a small and a large DR griptilian, 943, 940-1 and bugout and didn’t faced critical issues on them
    Actually it seems I have been lucky because all of them safe 1 have been good to go.
    Thé 940-1 had some cantering issue which was solved by tightening the pivot screw

16. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I’m done with BM too but for different reasons. Hoping my grammar is more gooder.
    [​IMG]

4mer_FMF, DB_Cruiser, lzeplin and 2 others like this.
  17. Whitedog

Whitedog

Dec 30, 2005
    Way too much Benchmade haters it seems, too many keyboard experts. Too many who don't know squat except how to post junk post running their count up. A lot who need to lean how to sharpen a knife, what blade geometry is best for the job at hand. I could go on but what good would it do. I have been buying, trading Benchmade knives ever since the BM 800 came out. Good knives. They all have their minor problems but usually easy to correct. Production is not perfect and folks who assemble them are not perfect either.

18. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    You’re right...if only I would have sharpened my knife....

PNWhovian, fq55, Eli Chaps and 4 others like this.
  19. Minirehak212

Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    You're supposed to sharpen the Omega springs. It says so in the manual, didn't you read it?

20. gnystrom

gnystrom

Dec 24, 2006
    I sold all my Benchmade and will never buy another for a totally different reason,

their politics and practices.

JAGKNIFE, fq55 and Icky Thump like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.