I'm done with Benchmade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does your perfect action include sideplay?(like the guy i bought mine from)
Nope. Fall shutty, centered and no play whatsoever. This is on my Rift, Contego and Grip. I can't speak for any other models, but mine are perfect.

I wanted a blaze orange folder so I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and picked up a BM Griptillian. I got it home and could not get over the cheap ass plastic. I returned it the next day. It seems to me that BM is a cheaply made knife with an expensive price tag. Even though I own a couple OF BM's, I too think I'm done.

I wanted a blaze orange folder so I went to Sportsmans Warehouse and picked up a BM Griptillian. I got it home and could not get over the cheap ass plastic. I returned it the next day. It seems to me that BM is a cheaply made knife with an expensive price tag. Even though I own a couple OF BM's, I too think I'm done.
So...the cheap ass plastic handles weren't cheap ass plastic handles in the store? They became cheap ass plastic handles when you got the knife home?

You might have a problem with your home :p

Last edited:
Jeeeesus OP, I've owned over a dozen Benchmade over the years. NEVER had an issue. Has something changed? My last ones were bought last year. Always perfect...auto, assisted, whatever...perfect.

I distrust Benchmade’s QC in general. My general complaints are:
- Soft heat treatments
- Bad centering
- Blade play

The majority of Benchmade knives I have used (~10 over 6 years) had one or more of those issues. Given their often premium price structure for their products, I find it notable that several domestic and international makers produce knives with better quality control AND lower prices.

My sole experience with their warranty department was overall positive, though. I bought a knife used for very little because the owner’s friend had taken an angle grinder to the blade and had done a super ugly sharpening job. I sent in a knife for a blade replacement and the process was completely painless. This was in 2014, so I don’t know what it’s like presently.

But, like the OP, I gave up on Benchmade. Heck, even if their QC was better, I still rarely like the prices of their products. I’ll stick with Spyderco, Hogue, ZT, WE, Kizer, Cold Steel, and the other brands who offer excellent products at generally-acceptable prices.

People say they are NOT going to judge before more info is given, but when the OP doesn't respond with requests within the same day (not everyone logs BF everyday) that's enough to denounce the thread as a shill/troll/click bait. Funny.

I bought a blue Bugout a little while back and just sent it back to the dealer (not BHQ) for a refund because the axis lock kept grinding, was so hard to release at times it even hurt my fingers, and it wouldn’t loosen up.

I just tried again with the black BHQ release, and it should arrive next week. If this one isn’t any better I’m sending it back too. The only way Benchmade will improve their qc is if enough people just won’t accept shoddy merchandise. If it’s not good, send it back within the return period. Hopefully they’ll get the message and do something about it.

I wish the OP would have came back to the thread, seems like he is just stirring the pot. When I bought my 940 I looked at 3 different ones and bought the display is was the best of the bunch. Few weeks later bought a mini grip same thing went through all they had, one was bad out of center, the other bad grind.

The Anthem came out and I was so excited. Went to 3 different stores looked at 4 different knives all off center, uneven grinds, blade play. I gave up on finding one that was worth the price. Then the controversy came out over the gun thing, and funding the left.I done with Benchmade now. I still have 4 and will carry and use them but I'm not interested in ever buying another one..

Sounds like they have a serious problem with QC. For a company that is "top tier" that is a joke in my eyes. These stories are something you'd expect when ordering a cheap knock off knife off Alibaba or something.

I made my decision in 07 with BM, crk was the answer for me. Hope you find the brand you like or the custom maker for you.
I do like some of their models and have came close purchasing another over the years. I gave this 720 to my buddy years ago and it has rotated back to me to sharpen. He is in the IBEW and loves itimage.jpg

I keep saying it's the "new benchmade"!
His story pails compared to mine.
I too am done with bm except maybe my 760LFTi 's.

It would be good to get details on the issue

I had a small and a large DR griptilian, 943, 940-1 and bugout and didn’t faced critical issues on them
Actually it seems I have been lucky because all of them safe 1 have been good to go.
Thé 940-1 had some cantering issue which was solved by tightening the pivot screw

I’m done with BM too but for different reasons. Hoping my grammar is more gooder.
8iea.jpg

Way too much Benchmade haters it seems, too many keyboard experts. Too many who don't know squat except how to post junk post running their count up. A lot who need to lean how to sharpen a knife, what blade geometry is best for the job at hand. I could go on but what good would it do. I have been buying, trading Benchmade knives ever since the BM 800 came out. Good knives. They all have their minor problems but usually easy to correct. Production is not perfect and folks who assemble them are not perfect either.

Way too much Benchmade haters it seems, too many keyboard experts. Too many who don't know squat except how to post junk post running their count up. A lot who need to lean how to sharpen a knife, what blade geometry is best for the job at hand. I could go on but what good would it do. I have been buying, trading Benchmade knives ever since the BM 800 came out. Good knives. They all have their minor problems but usually easy to correct. Production is not perfect and folks who assemble them are not perfect either.
You’re right...if only I would have sharpened my knife....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back