1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

I'm done with Benchmade

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Torquem, Jul 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    You shouldn’t post something like this and not back it up.

Who was it?

2. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    This is a perfect citique in my opinion. You explain what you expect from benchmade. You dont blow things out of proportion. Most importantly, you give good info on what bothered you, and it was a good example of something that is benchmades fault (pricing and bad heat treat and poor bevels).

It comes across completely different from "Im done with benchmade, but wont tell you why" or "their politics are anti knife but i cant tell you why".

Crooked river hangin with some clip points. They get together and start thinkin they're cooler than all the other knives:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    vinte77, Mistman68 and Yo Mama like this.
  3. colin.p

colin.p

Feb 4, 2017
    I hate Benchmade.

They forced me to buy these (I've since added two more and saving for a third). Since I'm not American, I don't give a fig about American politics (personally, I find politicians a couple levels below child mo**sters anyway). What people do, or what political stripe they dabble in has no merit in a knife QC thread, as far as I'm concerned.

[​IMG]

4. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    I see you have a 531. I think that is one of benchmades most underrated designs. The action is so good with how it kicks the blade out when you toggle the lock. I wish benchmade would do that with more of their knives. The g10 scales are so slim and light it is really a knife like none other.

willc, vinte77 and colin.p like this.
  5. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    Is that a zip tie mod on that CR?

6. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Yes it is.

7. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut Basic Member Basic Member

May 23, 2018
    I don't think I've ever seen that done on thumbstuds. Cool.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  8. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    We take our rights seriously. That’s why we still have rights. To us in the United States of America we have to be vigilant and expose the corporations that would harm our way of life and not support them, and it is always relevant and with merit.

Our grandfathers fought and died for our freedom. Our grandmothers worked in the factories making planes and bombs and guns. So we could all be free. We take it seriously

sliceofaloha, Cryptyc, Luke73 and 6 others like this.
  9. Minirehak212

Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    Oh you poor soul, being forced to spend money on the worst knife brand in existence. The shame.

I'm American and I don't even give a fig about American politics either. I just don't see why so many people get bent out of shape over what BM did, when prettymuch every brand that people have in their house has skeletons in their closet. If you dig deep enough you'll find something they did that you won't agree with.

I'll go back to hating myself for using my Contego at work.

colin.p likes this.
  10. Daedric Panther

Daedric Panther Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2019
    I’d rather not cause WW3. PM me if you want the pics.

11. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    What’s the one on the left? Nice 119.

12. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2013
    My thoughts exactly too.:D

Nice assortment there.:thumbsup:

colin.p likes this.
  13. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary Gold Member

Jan 12, 2013
    I had a 530 I picked up at a military surplus store for cheap and MAN what a fun little knife that was. Super thin but capable, and the kick-out aspect you mentioned made mine nearly an auto-axis (provided I kept it cleaned and lubed). That is probably tied with the Crooked River for the best Benchmade experience I’ve had.

BenchCo Spydermade likes this.
  14. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    The one on the left is a $20 cheapo I got cuz I loved the design. I think the brand was "brother" and i had to order it from an across seas shipping site. Its my favorite folder design ever. I put tons of love into it polishing it up and reprofiling the terrible bevels. Too bad the steel is garbage. And I'll carry 8cr13 and be happy.

15. scottyj

scottyj

Jan 29, 2009
    Same here. Randall's suck. My 14 came brand new from an authorized dealer with numerous flaws. I spoke to the Michael Randall at Randall Knives about these issues, and he just screamed at me to send it back to the dealer. I hung up.
    Edit: In regards to Benchmade's...they make an ok knife in my book. The only one out of about a dozen that didn't have some sort of blade play is my Vallation. Rock solid every where. Its actually my favorite Benchmade, and I would never get rid of it.

Twindog likes this.
  16. solman

solman Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I have several Benchmade knives. I use them to cut things not as pocket jewelry. I don't flick knives it serves no purpose for me and Benchmades were not intended to be flicked open anyway. I don't care if the grind is slightly uneven it still cuts fine. I like the axis lock and I think overall they are a great one handed functional knife. I know a bad one can get out once in a while and that's true for just about all manufacturers. If there is too much blade play I tighten to the point of easy open with no play. If you want pocket jewelry you will need to spend more and go up the ladder. I know you can get cheaper knives that are fine it's your choice. I have some Spyderco and use a Delica at work for years. I also like and carry the mini grip or the Bugout. I also have a Doug Ritter benchmade that I love and a few others as well.
    My .02

17. 4mer_FMF

4mer_FMF Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 9, 2016
    My 940-2 was not a success in QC regards. I got a good price, so I decided to use it indiscriminately. Along the way it has decapitated a rattlesnake (against concrete), cut drywall, helped me improve my sharpening skills, and much more.

I guess that means it’s been a good knife. But I haven’t bought a second Benchmade and may never do so.

If that 940 had been spot-on out of the box (or perhaps just slightly off), I’d have a half dozen or more BM’s at this point.

It’s hard to overcome negative first impressions in a competitive market.

18. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    IMG_20190720_011506_841.jpg

19. Cosmodragoon

Cosmodragoon

Jan 1, 2019
    Some people were triggered by images of guns being destroyed. Yes, those guns were probably going to get destroyed anyway. However, the controversy invited scrutiny. This led to some of Benchmade's political donations going public. The top recipients were Democrats. Given the legislative history of some of those recipients, their party's position on gun rights at large, and the relationship between different rights and the people who value them within the gear community; that caused some backlash.

Now, those are the facts. We aren't supposed to argue the politics of the situation here. They've got a special section of the forum for that.

eveled likes this.
  20. t5brick

t5brick

Oct 4, 2018
    My Benchmade knives have all been pretty great.

I did have a 485 that I couldn’t tweak the pivot so I had good action without blade play. I could loosen it enough to flick open, but not drop shut.

I have a Spyderco with lock stick though!

I had a ZT that was slightly off center.

I have a Bradford guardian with a crappy leather sheath and micarta handles that don’t quite line up with the tang.

I had a Massdrop/Laconico knife that seemed really awesome when I ordered it, but it just didn’t do it for me when I received it.

I bought a $7 Mora on prime day that isn’t here yet, but I could probably oh find some nit to pick if I wanted to.

Overall, I’ve had mostly good knives. They’ve all been useful and cut even with the little issues I’ve found.

*edit* these two will always be favorites though. The mini presidio has never let me down.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Ulf Krogstad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.