I'm done with Benchmade

Status
Not open for further replies.
imo i got this with benchmade and spyderco! i got tons and tons of expensive knives from alot of companys. it feels to me becouse spyderco and benchmade are pretty much big standards in the knife world that they dont even feel the need to do QC, i have returned tons of knives both from benchmade and spyderco for not having centered knives and having play while allready beeing too tight to have any semi decent action! i am so done with both of these! the only knife i got from spyderco ever that has no play and a decent grind is from taiwan. everything coming out of spyderco from usa is a joke and might aswell be from china. and benchmade its not becouse your HT is really good that you just need to skip QC and then blame customers. maybe you can cut down on production if not every customer had to order 3 of em at the time to check any for centering so that they can return the other 2 ... thats how i do it if i buy a benchmade and thats ridicilous. compare it to italian, chinese big companys you dont even have to worry about these issues let along be almost sure they are gonna be there! a week ago i ordered the shaman s90v CF, the blade was like 80% uncentered on a 300+ knife is that a joke ?? insta return and never buying from spyderco again unless its taiwan. and benchmade i will buy becouse if they are done good they are awesome! only super ridicilous that this is a thing in 2019 people are able to make things the size up to a hair from an ants asshole.

( to give an example anyone that has the chance, compare f&f between a spyderco shaman s90v sprint and a microtech socom elite. the diffrence is beyond laughable! why does the same priced knife has ABSOLUTELY ZERO FORCED BLADEPLAY and a dropshut action and the spyderco you could get a thumb between if you try FORCE play it)

Last edited:
imo i got this with benchmade and spyderco! i got tons and tons of expensive knives from alot of companys. it feels to me becouse spyderco and benchmade are pretty much big standards in the knife world that they dont even feel the need to do QC, i have returned tons of knives both from benchmade and spyderco for not having centered knives and having play while allready beeing too tight to have any semi decent action! i am so done with both of these! the only knife i got from spyderco ever that has no play and a decent grind is from taiwan. everything coming out of spyderco from usa is a joke and might aswell be from china. and benchmade its not becouse your HT is really good that you just need to skip QC and then blame customers. maybe you can cut down on production if not every customer had to order 3 of em at the time to check any for centering so that they can return the other 2 ... thats how i do it if i buy a benchmade and thats ridicilous. compare it to italian, chinese big companys you dont even have to worry about these issues let along be almost sure they are gonna be there! a week ago i ordered the shaman s90v CF, the blade was like 80% uncentered on a 300+ knife is that a joke ?? insta return and never buying from spyderco again unless its taiwan. and benchmade i will buy becouse if they are done good they are awesome! only super ridicilous that this is a thing in 2019 people are able to make things the size up to a hair from an ants asshole.

( to give an example anyone that has the chance, compare f&f between a spyderco shaman s90v sprint and a microtech socom elite. the diffrence is beyond laughable! why does the same priced knife has ABSOLUTELY ZERO FORCED BLADEPLAY and a dropshut action and the spyderco you could get a thumb between if you try FORCE play it)
I clearly lack the intelligence,or the proper translator,to have a clue about anything you're saying.

Was it "I HATE Sauerkraut!"???

I’ll admit that I have experienced my share of qc issues with Benchmade even after reaching out to customer service and was ready to completely part ways with the brand. However, I decided to give them another chance and they appear to have worked through most the the issues I was experiencing.

When you read forums and watch reviews about Benchmade, you hear about QC issues. I guess I’ve been lucky in that regard. I’ve yet to find that perfect Benchmade, but the ones I’ve had have all been clean and centered. I haven’t had any experience with their customer service, but I’m about to test it by sending back that hunter folder with the recurve blade for sharpening and service.

When you read that estimates for Benchmade's annual revenues are $20-$50 million, it stands to reason that a few knives will make it to the wild with issues.
Assuming the low end is correct, $20 million dollars annually is, dare I say it, a shit ton of knives. Add to that fact that the most popular model, the Griptilian, is less than $100.00 for most models and on average, probably around $200.00 for most other models.
So lets look at the math. using the lowest possible numbers so as not to skew the narrative.
We'll use the average price of $150.00 per knife retail. I think most would agree that's a fair guess.

$20 Million in revenue /$150.00 = 133,333 knives per year. Assuming they work a 5 day week (roughly 250 days per year ), that's 533.32 knives PER DAY, EVERY DAY.
I'm not a shill for Benchmade in any way. I have a few and have bought, sold, and traded many over the years. I own a few Spyderco and ZT as well (my perception is that ZT is becoming way overpriced more than BM may be at this point, but that's my opinion). My overall experience with BM has been awesome, yet I've had one I was not pleased with and should have been sent back for QC issues. Had I done that, I have no doubt BM would have responded appropriately. My few interactions with BM customer service were top notch in every aspect. I'm also not saying that BM gets a pass for QC issues. If you buy one of their knives and it doesn't pass muster for obvious reasons (barring our need for "perfection" in a production knife since most of us here are educated on what constitutes "great" quality), then by all means, send it back, and expect them to make it right. If they don't, then put them on blast on the forums and social media as we're apt to do these days.

Consider one more thing if you will. We only have a few U.S. knife companies left. In our world, it would behoove us to take good care of and patronize the ones we do have, and be cautious when we have negative things to say. Keep in mind, it's common in our culture to complain and whine when something isn't right, be it knives, cars, restaurants, et al. How many of us take the time to pass on the great experiences we've had as quickly as we do the bad ones?

Food for thought...........

When the clowns in Oregon thought it was a bright idea to post a video of them cutting up guns, I decided to never purchase another Benchmade again.
I thought the police department posted the videos and not BM? I also thought these were buy back or criminally confiscated guns that were scheduled to be destroyed anyway? If those are the FACTS, wasn't Benchmade in fact, helping local law enforcement and being a good steward in the community?

While I’m certainly not a fan of them destroying a handful of confiscated guns, I’ve seen far worse from supposedly proud American knife companies. Tell me, has anyone seen the folks at Benchmade shoving the American Flag into a trash can recently? It sure as hell happened at another knife manufacturer’s factory. I sold off all the knives I bought there, and refuse to buy from that company again. I saw this myself. Yes, I have pics

But to keep this relevant, I will say all the blade play in the axis knives bugs me. The axis lock has its advantages, but idk why the horizontal blade play is always so bad. I’ve spent hours, but I can’t find the sweet spot with smooth deployment and no horizontal blade play. If I ever make my way back to modern folders, I’ll buy a ZT.

Why the vague reference. What knife company did that and WHY? THAT may be the company I want to boycott. Please just tell who it was.

While I’m certainly not a fan of them destroying a handful of confiscated guns, I’ve seen far worse from supposedly proud American knife companies. Tell me, has anyone seen the folks at Benchmade shoving the American Flag into a trash can recently? It sure as hell happened at another knife manufacturer’s factory. I sold off all the knives I bought there, and refuse to buy from that company again. I saw this myself. Yes, I have pics

But to keep this relevant, I will say all the blade play in the axis knives bugs me. The axis lock has its advantages, but idk why the horizontal blade play is always so bad. I’ve spent hours, but I can’t find the sweet spot with smooth deployment and no horizontal blade play. If I ever make my way back to modern folders, I’ll buy a ZT.
Name and shame them or it didn't happen. With pics, if you don't mind.

I clearly lack the intelligence,or the proper translator,to have a clue about anything you're saying.

Was it "I HATE Sauerkraut!"???
I agree, that was painful to try and interpret. I have no idea what was being said.

Hi, your friendly neighbourhood translator here.

He says that Spydercos CQ and F&F sucks, and that you can fit your whole thumb inside the handle of the Shaman, while the blade is closed.

Hope that helps.

only super ridicilous that this is a thing in 2019 people are able to make things the size up to a hair from an ants asshole.
Quite a way with words there.
Some people were triggered by images of guns being destroyed. Yes, those guns were probably going to get destroyed anyway. However, the controversy invited scrutiny. This led to some of Benchmade's political donations going public. The top recipients were Democrats. Given the legislative history of some of those recipients, their party's position on gun rights at large, and the relationship between different rights and the people who value them within the gear community; that caused some backlash.

Now, those are the facts. We aren't supposed to argue the politics of the situation here. They've got a special section of the forum for that.
So pretty much a chick-filet situation. I thought people were idiots for blowing that out of proportion as well. Well, im still eatin the delicious chicken and cutting it with a benchmade. That way no one knows what my politics are:cool:

3cc873d44adb651621cd2ff987e796e9.jpg

I thought the police department posted the videos and not BM? I also thought these were buy back or criminally confiscated guns that were scheduled to be destroyed anyway? If those are the FACTS, wasn't Benchmade in fact, helping local law enforcement and being a good steward in the community?

One, I'm not in favor of a buy back program, but apparently the people of Oregon and BM are. Two, so what if they were criminally confiscated guns? As I stated before, I was at a gun action a few months ago, all guns auctioned were confiscated firearms my the police/sheriff's department. That's a viable option.

So no, supporting buy backs and destroying guns for the police department may be good stewardship for a liberal community, but it's bad stewardship for the Constitution. I'll always err on the side of the Constitution of freedom loving Americans. YMMV, obviously.

Go back and read post 139 in this thread. Then make your own decisions.

Im not sure where in the constitution it says to not destroy firearms that are in your possession if you feel like it.

Yeah, I'm sure the founding fathers envisioned the government taking back guns and destroying them when the wrote the Bill of Rights. The Constitution doesn't say not to do meth either, so...

One, I'm not in favor of a buy back program, but apparently the people of Oregon and BM are. Two, so what if they were criminally confiscated guns? As I stated before, I was at a gun action a few months ago, all guns auctioned were confiscated firearms my the police/sheriff's department. That's a viable option.

So no, supporting buy backs and destroying guns for the police department may be good stewardship for a liberal community, but it's bad stewardship for the Constitution. I'll always err on the side of the Constitution of freedom loving Americans. YMMV, obviously.

The constitution protects the right to own guns. Someone destroying a gun does nothing to effect the constitution. It wasnt meant to be a political statement either, its you who are politisizing it. As a matter of fact, you should get to own or destroy whatever guns you want cuz both of those are freedom. It seems like you are mad benchmade used their freedom differently than you would have chosen to. Isnt that what freedom is?

Benchmade didnt say you shouldnt have guns, but here you are, all triggered, telling them how they should do things. Its hypocritical to me.

The constitution protects the right to own guns. Someone destroying a gun does nothing to effect the constitution. It wasnt meant to be a political statement either, its you who are politisizing it. As a matter of fact, you should get to own or destroy whatever guns you want cuz both of those are freedom. It seems like you are mad benchmade used their freedom differently than you would have chosen to. Isnt that what freedom is?

Benchmade didnt say you shouldnt have guns, but here you are, all triggered, telling them how they should do things. Its hypocritical to me.

But they obviously condone it, if not through the actions of destroying guns then through political contributions.

You don't have to like that I don't support so called 2nd Amendment loving companies that destroy guns that could have be sold to law abiding people. You don't have to like that I don't support so called 2nd Amendment loving companies that give their money to anti 2nd Amendment politicians.

Seriously, you're the type that will try to tell me I'm wrong for not eating liver because you like liver. I'm not telling you to stop buying from them, I'm just telling you why I will never by from them again.

If you wish to support the liberals, have at it. I will not.

Hi, your friendly neighbourhood translator here.

He says that Spydercos CQ and F&F sucks, and that you can fit your whole thumb inside the handle of the Shaman, while the blade is closed.

Hope that helps.
Oh, come on! There were a lot more words than that.
What are you holding back? :p

Last edited:
But they obviously condone it, if not through the actions of destroying guns then through political contributions.

You don't have to like that I don't support so called 2nd Amendment loving companies that destroy guns that could have be sold to law abiding people. You don't have to like that I don't support so called 2nd Amendment loving companies that give their money to anti 2nd Amendment politicians.

Seriously, you're the type that will try to tell me I'm wrong for not eating liver because you like liver. I'm not telling you to stop buying from them, I'm just telling you why I will never by from them again.

If you wish to support the liberals, have at it. I will not.
So you are purely talking politics. That is not allowed, and youre not even making it knife related.

Last edited:
So tou are purely talking politics. That is not allowed, and youre not even making it knife related.

And what were half of your posts. I'm just replying to those quoting me. If you wish me to stop, stop quoting me. If it troubles you so, cut a Midol in half with your Benchmade and swallow with a glass of water.

What Benchmade knife would you used for that? See, knife related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back