I'm excited! Parkerizing soon. Picture results added!

I finally broke down and ordered a gallon of manganese phosphate parkerizing liquid. I am SO ready to go to parkerizing, the sometimes fickle nature of other methods at keeping dark black in damascus (especially in bold patterns) can be so frustrating. Particularly I am looking forward to not having to actively boil/simmer or wait a long time for best results.

I'll post results when I have begun to work with it.

Now I just have to tack up some billets in the morning so I'll have some steel to etch and process when it comes in!

Last edited:
You won't regret it. Easiest most foolproof and reliable way to get a consistent dark finish available to most people. The only regret I have is not getting setup sooner.

Very nice! Are they selling it in liquid form? I tought it was a powder to be mixed with water and then conditioned/aged with iron before first time use.
Has anybody tryied to parkerize an hamon blade to see the effect?

I just started as well, just learned, also wish I had known sooner.

I did the ageing with steel wool wrapped in a coffee filter.

What I bought and the first parkerized knife I did

0fe3ed36d9710f453240126de147cdea.jpg

ff790b8ff6b46f39fffbd4697f387df7.jpg
f0d8d7de71a4e0f57bc2edae3678a1a9.jpg

Last edited:
It's on my list of things to get. Can't wait to see how it works for ya. I would think it would help out with corrosion too. Seems like the lows are the spots that hold the moisture, and they can't be touched up with sandpaper.

It's on my list of things to get. Can't wait to see how it works for ya. I would think it would help out with corrosion too. Seems like the lows are the spots that hold the moisture, and they can't be touched up with sandpaper.

It's fantastic for corrosion with just about any rust preventative on it. I blasted and parked a small blade this June, wiped it down with WD40 and it's sat out exposed in my shop (no temp control) to now, without a spec of rust starting. While a satin finished blade would have spotted up by now, especially as humid as it's been.

Been wanting to try this myself. I'd love to see your set-up once you get it all lined out. Also, from what I understand, you can apply Cera-Kote, Gun-Kote etc. directly over Parkerized steel for extra protection and all the colors the cool kids like. :cool:

What led you guys to choose the Manganese Phosphate over the Zinc?

I wanted the darker color. Zinc tends towards grey and ages to a greenish patina. Since I'm using it for knife and gun parts, I wanted black. I think it's a thicker conversion than zinc as well.

The 1095 blades I've done to date come out black as night. Even in bright sunlight, they are black. Not charcoal grey. Which is exactly what I wanted.

For example, this is blasted with 40 grit AO and manganese parkerized (my first one actually):
359g03p.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted the darker color. Zinc tends towards grey and ages to a greenish patina. Since I'm using it for knife and gun parts, I wanted black. I think it's a thicker conversion than zinc as well.

The 1095 blades I've done to date come out black as night. Even in bright sunlight, they are black. Not charcoal grey. Which is exactly what I wanted.

How long will the finish last ?

Depending on what you're asking - how long will it last on a surface? Forever as long as it's given some oil/lube/RP. How long on a knife blade in use? I don't know. It will wear like any other surface conversion or coating, but it seems durable so far. The blade I mentioned earlier that's been sitting in my shop all summer, it's in a too tight fitting kydex sheath, and I pop it in and out every time I go out there to see if it's starting to streak/scratch, and it hasn't yet.

But the hardest use I've put one through is a kukri I've cleared some brush for game cameras with. It hasn't worn yet, but it hasn't seen daily use either.

It's more durable than bluing, by far. It's not as durable as nitriding. I think it's on par or slightly better than the various epoxy paints - Duracoat, Cerakote, etc.

Wow that's saying something cause cerakote lasts a good time. This may be an option for me. I've been steering clear of non stainless do to rust

valknut if you wanted to try before you buy, I'd be happy to dip something of yours in my tank so that you can put it through the ropes.

valknut if you wanted to try before you buy, I'd be happy to dip something of yours in my tank so that you can put it through the ropes.

Yeah definitely man I'll probably be getting some 52100 next month so I'll hit you up then

I picked manganese phosphate because that's what the Brazilians use, and that's where I got turned onto Parkerizing in the first place. In particular Eduardo Berardo recommended it in a tutorial he wrote.

I picked manganese phosphate because that's what the Brazilians use, and that's where I got turned onto Parkerizing in the first place. In particular Eduardo Berardo recommended it in a tutorial he wrote.

You get a chance to test it out yet salem?

Still waiting on it to come in. I have a steel tank ready, and I just took my good hotplate apart and got it working again. I'm pumped! Got some anhydrous ferric chloride on the way to freshen up my etch tank too!

Still waiting on it to come in. I have a steel tank ready, and I just took my good hotplate apart and got it working again. I'm pumped! Got some anhydrous ferric chloride on the way to freshen up my etch tank too!

That's great news man. Definitely want to see some pics when youvery got it all set up!

A stainless tank right?

Back