• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

I'm hearing companies are stopping knife shipments to NY

Amazon won't ship certain flipper or assisted knives to NY state. Some third parties will and some won't, but Amazon won't
They just don't want to research the laws, so the placed their own ban and made it state wide.
This has been going on for a few years and I don't buy knives on Amazon anymore.

But my daughter living in Maryland was able to buy a larger folder , with a flipper tab and send it to me as a Christmas gift to my NY address.

I wish people would realize that NY is a state of mostly forested land and rural towns, NYC is the stinking butthole that ruins the ride for everyone lol.
Thanks for that commentary. :rolleyes:

I love upstate NY, but I formerly lived in NYC and now in the suburbs. If not for NYC, the rest of the state would be bankrupt.

Certain sellers are blocking NY or just NYC. Amazon too, is blocking certain models and sizes from the NY area. For instance the giant Cold Steel folders seem blocked, and assisted openers too (NYC doesn't like either of those features). It's kind of wonky, for instance I tried to buy a Buck 110 slim, and have it shipped to someone in NYC, no go. I picked a Ka-Bar Dozier, fine.

I notice it also changing on restocks. A model will be fine, go OOS, then on restock, it's blocked.
Could it be related to the blade length? The 110 is a 3.75" blade, while the Dozier is a 3" blade...

Could it be related to the blade length? The 110 is a 3.75" blade, while the Dozier is a 3" blade...

It's just some weird Amazon quirk. NYC has a 4" and under blade length rule. They'd ship a regular 110, and a few local dealers in NYC sell the higher end versions of the 110 slim no problem. It's just an odd thing with Amazon, I can't figure it out. I've seen NYC legal knife models go from shippable, to non-shippable on restock, then shippable again.

Yes it's defiantly weird, which is why I gave up with Amazon.
I'd buy a knife one day and then a week later pick out something similar and it was flagged as "can't ship to your location".
And I'm not in the city, I live 80 miles north of NYC.

I just did a quick test on Amazon.

Kershaw Blur, Cryo II, Leek and Clash are a no go ( maybe the assist?)
Cold Steel Espada ... none of them except a third party sale.
Cold Steel Recon 1 ( 2" blade) no go
Random S&W folder , no assist , no flipper ... no go
Civivi Hooligan ( 2.98" blade) , no go
Artisan Arroyo, nope

Then I found this ( never heard of it, looks like a CRKT CEO clone) Samior G1035 3.5" blade with a flipper...ok
CRKT CEO , ok
Spyderco Roc , ok
Buck 110 , ok

I found lots of other knives very similar to the no go group that are fine and others like 110 clones that are a no go.
So it makes no sense

This has been the case for quite a while. Quite a few knife vendors won't ship to NYS. This is largely due to threats of suit by NYCs DA.

Upstate NY'r here also. No flipper or assisted as already stated. I imagine if its Illegal in NYC Amazon bans from shipping anywhere in the state. Fortunately theres many other vendors. Upstate and NYC are like to separate places as far laws & regulations go its a shame in many ways.

Obviously people at Amazon is more scared of tanto blades :eek: They have no problem selling clip point or spear point Cold Steel Recon 1 but not the Tanto version.o_O

I live just outside of Boston, and we get the same "ban" from Amazon. IIRC it was instituted when our AG requested of Amazon that they stop selling to MA. Last year I actually contacted Amazon customer support and had a VERY long discussion with multiple people who were insistent that knives were illegal. They aren't. They refused to look up the laws, or even read the ones I had tried to show them. Eventually the connection was "lost". The conversation ended, and I was unable to reconnect.

This is actually the second time this has happened in MA. The first time the ban was lifted when enough MA citizens complained to our AG's office citing it was not illegal to own or carry a knife. I'll admit that I haven't done that. I decided I should be giving my business directly to the knife retailors anyway, so it wasn't worth the effort.

I live just outside of Boston, and we get the same "ban" from Amazon. IIRC it was instituted when our AG requested of Amazon that they stop selling to MA. Last year I actually contacted Amazon customer support and had a VERY long discussion with multiple people who were insistent that knives were illegal. They aren't. They refused to look up the laws, or even read the ones I had tried to show them. Eventually the connection was "lost". The conversation ended, and I was unable to reconnect.

This is actually the second time this has happened in MA. The first time the ban was lifted when enough MA citizens complained to our AG's office citing it was not illegal to own or carry a knife. I'll admit that I haven't done that. I decided I should be giving my business directly to the knife retailors anyway, so it wasn't worth the effort.

I'm really sorry. People in a lot of the country need to consider this type of stuff when it comes to election time. I think the founding fathers would be appalled.

I'm really sorry. People in a lot of the country need to consider this type of stuff when it comes to election time. I think the founding fathers would be appalled.

We do, and I'm sure they would be! Take a look at the county-by-county voting records of all of upstate NY vs. NYC and see for yourself. The same thing happens in other states.

I know you are right.

We do, and I'm sure they would be! Take a look at the county-by-county voting records of all of upstate NY vs. NYC and see for yourself. The same thing happens in other states.

This is not the Political Forum.

The question in this thread is, "will Amazon Ship knives to New York?"
Anything else and the thread will be closed and warning points issued.

Back