I'm just gonna leave this right here.......new model content.....

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
This is going to be a fun knife! About 10" overall, in 12C27 with a great heat treat. Tough, good edge holding for woods use. 12C27 is the stainless steel for guys who love carbon steel.

This is taken directly from Sandvik's website:

SANDVIK 12C27 KNIFE STEEL
The well-rounded knife steel

Sandvik 12C27 is Sandvik's most well-rounded knife steel with excellent edge performance allowing razor sharpness, high hardness, exceptional toughness and good corrosion resistance.

Sandvik 12C27 is our main knife steel for hand-held knives, high-end ice skate blades and ice drills. Continuous improvement over a period of 45 years has evolved Sandvik 12C27 into the high performing steel grade it is today. The composition is tighter, the purity level is much higher and the fine carbide microstructure of today is far from how Sandvik 12C27 knife steel of the sixties looked.

With a hardness range of 54-61 HRC, high toughness, scary sharpness and good corrosion resistance, Sandvik 12C27 is the recommended grade for hunting knives, pocket knives, camping knives, high-end chef's knives and tactical knives.

2a5e318b45cc3fa5ad41267ddf819db2.jpg

I can't wait to get this knife out in the woods around my house and put it to use. Great all around camp chore knife!

Last edited:
These are the first three knives in the Rhino series. They are scheduled to be made in CPM3V, 0.187" for the Rhino 7 and Rhino 6, and 0.125" for the Rhino 5. I'm hoping to add a slightly slimmer and thinner Rhino EDC if these sell well.

ekt camp knives.jpg

From Crucible's website:
CPM 3V is a high toughness, wear-resistant tool steel made by the Crucible Particle Metallurgy process. It is designed to provide maximum resistance to breakage and chipping in a high wear-resistance steel. It offers impact resistance greater than A2, D2, Cru-Wear, or CPM M4, approaching the levels provided by S7 and other shock resistant grades. CPM 3V is intended to be used at 58/60 HRC in applications where chronic breakage and chipping are encountered in other tool steels, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.

The wear and toughness properties of CPM 3V make it an excellent alternative to shock-resistant steels such as S7 or A9, where they typically wear out too quickly, but where grades such as A2, CruWear, or CPM M4 tend to fail by breaking or chipping. CPM 3V offers the highest impact toughness of any tool steel with this range of wear resistance.

cpm3vcompgraph.gif

I really like the design and steel choice, definitely do a 4inch version as well please. Time frame? price range?

Chris, there will definitely be a 4" knife eventually! It's hard with this series because the Rhinos are pretty tall blades, edge to spine. It takes a complete redesign to move down to a 4" and 3" blade length so the handles look right compared to the blades. It will happen though!

The Nessmuk is going to be around the $125 mark, but it could be a little more or a little less. The Rhinos I'm not sure; I haven't figured out production costs yet. I hope to have the Nessies done in the next month or so. The Rhinos, probably around March 2016, but it could be earlier if everything goes according to plan.

I understand these things take time, I think it would be very popular. A lot of forumites are city dwellers or suburban dwellers and large fixed blades are used when they camp or find some woods, Smaller fixed blades should do well with that market I would think. Hell I live out in the sticks and I like small fixed blades LOL

In any case ill pick up a rhino to test out and put to use on our farm. Ill be around, and popping in here and there to see what's happening. Keep up the good ideas and designs.

You know, my birthdays in march...
Also, excited. Looking forward to when you have these made. And I've been wanting to try out something in 3v.

My vote goes to the yellow one ! The upscaled Companion I was dreaming of ! And I happen to like 12C27 a lot : it performs great for me. While the Rhino 5 would also be right up my alley, I have no use for a fingerguard and a fingerchoil. Definitely prefer more cutting edge. This said it's a beautiful pattern and you choose once again excellent steel. The 7" version should be an awesome chopper !

Wicked designs! Keep making practical and cool-as-hell blades like these and you'll see my name around quite a bit in this forum and on your payments received. :)

any updates on the Rhinos? i know you've been terribly busy with the Companion Campaign, so i just thought i'd inquire.
thanks, Neal

Back