I'm looking for a new edc.

My 940 sees little pocket time. I prefer tip down back pocket carry, so never warmed-up to any of the benchmade axis lock knives. After carrying a benchmade AFCK800 for 20 years I have settled on a $18.00 Byrd Cara Cara. Don't overlook an Ontario Rat 1 either. Hell, I don't deer hunt anymore, but remember field dressed a number of deer with my little Gerber LST back in the 80's. sharp knives cut

I have never been happy with a ~$200 knife. And when I look at my options in the AM I've always thought... "why would I carry this 940, PM2, Presidio, 0808, ect. when I can carry my Sebenza, SnG, XM-18, ect... because yes they really are that much better...
When I joined these forums I came to find "the best Benchmade" expecting to spend <$200. I bought a Sm. Sebenza and never regretted it and have hardly found its equal.

My advice is either spend less and get a ~$100 knife (I would say a Spudie Native 5 frn or a Para2... Maybe even a Griptilian. Or get a pre loved Sebenza. If you're hellbent on the budget/bang for the buck get the PM2. You'll get over the whole hole thing!

I EDC a BM 943 and absolutely love it. It's an excellent knife with great weight, and it's easy to use.

I have never been happy with a ~$200 knife. And when I look at my options in the AM I've always thought... "why would I carry this 940, PM2, Presidio, 0808, ect. when I can carry my Sebenza, SnG, XM-18, ect... because yes they really are that much better...
When I joined these forums I came to find "the best Benchmade" expecting to spend <$200. I bought a Sm. Sebenza and never regretted it and have hardly found its equal.

My advice is either spend less and get a ~$100 knife (I would say a Spudie Native 5 frn or a Para2... Maybe even a Griptilian. Or get a pre loved Sebenza. If you're hellbent on the budget/bang for the buck get the PM2. You'll get over the whole hole thing!
Well I can get the 940 for a little less than $140 brand new. Whatever I get I want it to last me 10 years. I would look into more spyderco knives but the giant hole is so ugly(imo) and takes up too much space for me to carry.

For under $200, I'd go for a Benchmade 710 m390 from Knifeworks. I've carried mine in my back pocket with no issues at all, and I'm not even a large guy. The 940 is slightly easier to carry, but I've found that the extra blade length on the 710 is worth the extra pocket space. The PM2 does take up a lot of pocket space for it's blade length, but it also has more usable belly than either of the BMs. So there's some tradeoff there. Good luck, and have fun searching

Or even consider the D2 version of the Benchmade 710. It's not flashy but it's an incredible knife for EDC. I don't own a 710, but I wish I did :) I have a 943, 950, 300, 530 and various Grips and enjoy them all.

I've had great luck with Griptilians and aftermarket AWT scales. I really like the way it beefs up the knife.

I certainly understand the Spyderhole thing. I own a lot of Spydies but they just don't get much pocket time. I have a hard time with the fat pocket profile and bad blade/handle ratios. I guess those are inherent traits when you dedicate a chunk of real estate on the blade to a hole :p I guess I keep buying Spydercos hoping I find one I love as much as everyone else seems to love them, lol.

Do you know if aluminum can be cerakoted?

Yes, it can. I'm not sure if the process is any different than coating stainless. I have a Freeman Button Lock Flipper (fantastic knife, btw) that has an awesome Cerakote over aluminum handle slabs.

I'd check with Josh at Razor Edge Knives. I've seen pictures of the work he did Cerakoting a Reate Horizon C and the outcome is beautiful. I bet he can offer guidance on coating aluminum.

There is a guy here locally that coated my g19 slide charcoal grey and it looks amazing. What would you think of a stainless blade stainless clip 940 with burnt bronze cerakote handles? It'd be one of a kind for sure

I carried a boron coated D-2 943 for years. That pointy blade is just so sexxay, and the boron coated blade was freaking unbelievable. You could cut concrete with it and it wouldn't scratch. Why on Earth did they stop making g that coating? I still carry it often when I'm in dress clothes because it's a lot of knife yet light weight. Eventually I switched to a 730 Ares and carried it for a looong time. The ares is a freaking awesome knife, and I had found the one for a few years. Nothing else even interested me, but now I'm getting ready for something new. They don't make the Ares anymore but that Axis Stryker mentioned before is very similar to the Ares. It's the real deal FR sure. Get a nice fixed blade for hunting.

Last edited:
Back