1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Im ready to pull tye trigger on a Sebenza need help

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Nolo263, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Nolo263

Nolo263

Jul 7, 2019
    I am looking at a couple of Sebenzas on Ebay and 1 here. I have seen so much talk about clones that im afraid to get screwed!
    Was the starbenza and sebenza21 with Micarta ever cloned?

2. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 5, 2018
    Just a personal feeling, but I think you’re safe in presuming that probably every quality knife has been cloned. The energy and resources of the clone-makers are seemingly unlimited, and little if anything is beyond their reach. I believe your concern about getting stuck with a clone from that auction site is justified.

That being said... I think buying your CRK from an authorized vendor or the BF Exchange is the smart and safe way to go. I’ve bought CRKs from both and had good experiences with each. I wouldn’t gamble my money on that auction site in the hope of saving a small amount of money and not ending up with a clone. Caveat emptor and DYODD (“do your own due diligence”).

crocogator106 likes this.
  3. archieblue

archieblue Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 19, 2001
    Buy on the exchange.

4. Buck Razor

Buck Razor Gold Member Basic Member Gold Member

Apr 25, 2019
    I don't trust Ebay for certain items, knives included.

5. smoothblades

smoothblades Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2015
    Buy from the exchange.

6. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
    If you buy from an individual on eBay, it's always a gamble as to what you get. Do your homework on the seller before buying. Some members here sell there. There are authorized dealers selling there. Ask for more pictures, make sure they'll accept a return. If it turns out to be a fake or misrepresented, you'll get your money back, but it will be tied up for a while. The process on returns/refunds on eBay is a pain in the ass.
    IMO, buying from an individual is so much easier here. A quick check on someone's profile will reveal who your dealing with. Just looking at Post History will let you know if someone here is a flipper or is involved in the community.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  7. bart1

bart1 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2009
    Why stress, if you have to ask that question, and it is a good question for someone getting into CRK's ( or any better items) buy safe, then educate yourself, because unlike Highlander "there can not be only one"!!!

8. BMCGear

BMCGear Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2014
    I don't buy from Ebay anymore.

Congrats on getting a CRK though.

9. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    Your safer bet is to buy from an authorized dealer or on the BF exchange. It is very unlikely a member would put up a known clone for sale on the exchange and if they did it would likely be spotted fairly quickly. If in doubt you can always post some photo's(no links) to the Ebay knife and ask for an opinion. If it is too cheap on Ebay it is likely a clone. If the materials used are wrong it definitely is.

10. Minirehak212

Minirehak212

Apr 1, 2018
    I actually just pulled the trigger on my first CRK off Ebay a couple weeks ago and everything worked out fine. I wanted a very specific config on my Inkosi and saw it listed for a good price. I wanted to buy from here but it never came up on the exchange (and still hasn't). I was weary about the knife, and I studied the pics as close as I could to look for any glaring issues l. But luckily everything was legit and I didn't get screwed, I know a lit of people aren't that lucky

11. Curl of the Burl

Curl of the Burl Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2013
    Authorized dealer. No reason to stress.

12. loon#r

loon#r Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Since becoming a gold member on here I went from regularly buying and selling on eBay to nearly zero activity in over a year.

13. Nolo263

Nolo263

Jul 7, 2019
    I ended up buying from here, bought a umnumzaan. The sebenza will be my next one! Hopefully she ships my way on Monday!