Imitation and Flattery

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanF

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
That’s what they say, but it doesn’t feel that way
10188043-7F51-4DD7-8F3E-1BD90F14C49C.jpeg
Frazier Mountain Knives, I developed this, and been using this since 2017.

Found an Instagram page last night
Fraziermountainforge, half way down the page is his “new logo for 2021”
Had to laugh, after the grinder copy thread.
Just enough changed to be “legal”
Knife makers are honorable folk, uhuh.

Get it all the time. Some one will send me links of somebody using my pics of my knives and saying they built em. In stock and selling em cheap, $35.99

That is close. Just curious, do you have a web page or Instagram page?
Where did he steal the logo from?

Had a full blown web page for three years until Instagram outperformed that.

His “claim to the name”, stems from his living on the west coast Frazier Mountain, wanted to know if I live there.
My family’s Frazier Mountain was/is part of the National Park Service on the east coast, my father and his immediate family members were moved off when the Feds took the land to form Shenandoah National Park, but they made it up to us a few years ago, named a hiking trail after us, lol .
Horsewright Horsewright , $35.99, hmm.

I don’t see this ending on a happy note.

Had a full blown web page for three years until Instagram outperformed that.

His “claim to the name”, stems from his living on the west coast Frazier Mountain, wanted to know if I live there.
My family’s Frazier Mountain was/is part of the National Park Service on the east coast, my father and his immediate family members were moved off when the Feds took the land to form Shenandoah National Park, but they made it up to us a few years ago, named a hiking trail after us, lol .
Horsewright Horsewright , $35.99, hmm.

I don’t see this ending on a happy note.

Lots of times, the English, not so good on some of those posts.

Last edited:
I don’t know about the English but they certainly don’t know the value of a Horsewright knife!

I’ve seen others selling knives saying they were Horsewright knives, even using my model names. Only I didn’t make those knives. Had a magazine doing a little article on knives one time say a pic was a Horsewright knife, only the pic was of an Anza knife. Course that wasn’t nefarious, just a screw up. Had customers from all over the country calling and telling me about it.

I wouldnt be so quick to call him a thief, good chance the first time he heard of you / seen your logo was after you contacted him. If you named your business "Frazier Mountain" after the area you live in what would you do for your logo?
A few years ago I googled my name and found another maker etching his name exactly the same as mine, same fonts and size, no way to tell them apart. I had never heard of him and he never heard of me before I contacted him and told him about it. He actually offered to change his but I told him I would change mine and all was good. Sometimes great minds think alike.
Now that fur coat , thats another story :confused: lol

I agree Britt, it could be happenstance, but damn, that logo has too many of the same elements.
Not gonna worry about it (wouldn’t make any difference anyhow), I’ll just post disclaimers everywhere clarifying I’m not him and those dang sure aren’t my knives. He does seem to be a right fearsome can killer.

Mountain logo is not a surprise, but name and font also?
No matter, I had a makers mark stamp made with my name 6 months or so ago in preparation of dropping the logo.
But I am surprised some people didn’t apply the same logic to the “stolen grinder” thread.

I’m not sure there’s anything to get bent out of shape on here. The logo of the mountains is completely different. The only similarities are in your names and the placement of such on the logo. Would you still be upset if he put his name above the mountain? Or maybe split it with Frazier on top and forge below? There’s really only so many ways you can draw a mountain, and his is noticeably different than yours. That’s just my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth...not much.

It’s all opinions, nothing more or less.

They look very different to me. I mean the elements are similar but the look is distinct. I don't think this was intentional, nor is it anything to worry about.

Edited to add... Dan, I did a search and can't find a knife of yours with a maker's mark. His knives aren't marked either. Is your logo trademarked? I can't see any funny business going on.

Last edited:
Since I created this thread I contacted him and wished him well, I don’t believe there is anything shady going on either. Just happenstance with the Frazier Mtn name, east and west coast. Working on trademarking the “new” logo, as soon a that process is complete I’ll post it.
I only posted images of it on the old website and IG, and a few here back around 2017/2018, then stopped posting it here as all knives I post here are shop prototypes only.
I may go ahead and lock this down as it is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back