Immigrating to Ireland

Hi guys,

I hope there are some Irish knife lovers on here. I will be immigrating to Ireland the end of this year from South Africa. I have a small collection of folders and fixed blades I wish to take with. I am aware that some obvious items like katanas, flick knives, knuckle dusters etc, cannot be taken there. So my katanans, machetes and push dagger can't go with.
I am wondering if the following knives can legally be taken there. The definition of offensive knives wrt the opening mechanisms are vague, to me in anyway.

My collection consists of:
Various Spyderco folders.
Cold Steel Large Espada folder with pocket catch opener.
Emerson CQC15 with wave opener.
Hinderer Eklipse folder with tab opener.
Fox karambit with wave opener.
Fox DART with wave.
Hand forged Bowie fixed blade.
Some other fixed blades.
Tomahawk axe.
CRKT Hisshou fixed blade.
Scrapyard knife with 11" blade (I am thinking it might be seen as a machete)

I know I can't carry it in public. I just want to keep it in my house. However the moving company seem to have a standard answer, "no weapons" are to be put in our shipping container with the rest of our stuff. I cannot afford to have Customs seize them.

Thanks in advance.

The best bet is to check with the Irish enbassy in Praetoria or the Irish consulate office in Cape Town.

The people there should be able to advise you about all import restrictions and applicable Irish laws.

Having just returned from Ireland...the majority of your list is a no. Keeping them in your house is your best bet, however getting them into country will be a bit of a challenge. I only took a Swiss Army Alox with me as I didn't want to chance getting rousted by Garda.

From "the truth about knives": "In 1990 the Irish Oireachtas ‘updated’ their knife laws, with the end result that carrying anything sharp or pointy is now illegal and subject to arrest. If you can prove that you had a good reason to carry it, you might be acquitted at trial. Good luck with that: it will take months and cost you tens of thousands of dollars."
http://www.thetruthaboutknives.com/2013/09/everything-sharp-is-illegal-in-ireland/

Back