Impinda Review by an Average Guy

To introduce myself, I am someone that works in a place where my knives see medium use. I cut box tape, cardboard, bags, and zip ties etc. I also use my knife at home for basic stuff like cutting threads on shirts or opening more knife boxes. I am not really what you would consider a hard use farmer or electrician cutting chords on the daily.

I have owned lots of knives and sold them, and I have owned lots of CRK knives. The knives I have owned and used from CRK are:

Small Inkosi, Large Inkosi, Small Sebenza, Large Sebenza, Mnandi, Umnumzaan, and the Sikayo.

I feel like this gives me a decent understanding of Chris Reeve in general. For me, the Impinda has become my favorite knife. I will try to explain why and my thoughts on the Impinda in general throughout the review. Thanks for reading if you do.

I love the size of the Impinda, I believe in my estimation that it is the size range that I have always wanted. The Small Sebenza always felt too small in my XL-Large Glove sized hands, just ever so slightly so.

JZLxdWO.jpeg

H3hkUwv.jpeg

As we can see, the Impinda's total length is around 7.2 inches, Chris Reeve's website says it is actually 7.15 and I believe their measurements more than my own. This size is only slightly bigger than the Small Sebenza's 6.98 inch overall length. This means that the Impinda is only 0.17 inches bigger overall than the Small Sebenza. I believe that the slightly larger handle and the ergonomic lines of the Impinda make it seem much more secure in the hand.

Since I only have a Large Sebenza 21 in KnifeArt's Carbon Fiber with a Tanto scale on hand to compare to, I think I should.

jcqtzf9.jpeg

Obviously as you can see, the Large Sebenza has a larger handle. As for holding each, I think each has their strengths and weaknesses.

OF1XX4A.mp4

The Impinda's grip in hand locks you into place. Much more so than with an Inkosi. The back of the handle curves deep into the back of your palm near your pinky, hooking into your hand. This shape also allows you to apply more force to the tip without the back of the handle slipping out on you. I doubt you will ever be applying a lot of force with a slip joint, no matter how strong, but this handle shape offers confidence no matter what you cut. Because of the ergonomic lines on the Impinda, you have one great shape to grip into. Other grips still feel good due to the chamfering of the Impinda, but because this knife has a way it likes to be gripped, other grips will not work as well. I personally really like this grip, and the ergonomic lines are loose enough to grip it in enough ways to be satisfied for me. The Inkosi by comparison had sharper ergonomic lines, and those points on the finger grooves could be uncomfortable. There is no such flaw here. I do wish that there was a place to chose up a bit easier on the knife, but I think it would be somewhat of a safety thing to be so close to the blade on a slip joint.

OhBTGS0.mp4

The Large Sebenza 21 obviously has a larger grip area, which lets your fingers spread out a bit more and have space from each other. The Large Sebenza also has almost no ergonomic lines outside of the finger area near the top of the lock bar. This acts as a suggestion for your index finger to land, and it is very comfortable. Because the Sebenza has little to no ergonomic hand grooves, the knife does feel more fluid in the hand, but does not lock into place as much as an Inkosi or an Impinda. You will be hard pressed to find a grip with the Sebenza that you feel is bad, but there are no places that say "grip me like this, and only like this!".

CgtdekW.jpeg

Between the two, they are pretty much equal in my mind for comfort in hand and in use. I personally have come to like knives in the 7.5 inch overall length range. I feel like any larger, and I lose control of my blade a bit, and any smaller, the blade loses functionality. Being about 7.2 inches in overall length, and having great ergonomic lines, the Impinda feels more controllable than my Larger Sebenza. The Large Sebenza is absolutely more capable, and has a lock, but in terms of controlling the blade, in my opinion anyway, the Impinda takes the cake. The way the back of the handle curves downwards, hooking into your palm, makes you feel like the Impinda is an extension of your hand. Having the bead blasted CRK finish also allows the knife to remain grippy in basically any situation. Outside of a lube factory I suppose.

Last edited:
One thing that I love about this knife, more than anything else, is the blade shape.

tmEXHDZ.jpeg

What we have here is one of the most classic and appealing drop point blades that I have ever seen. The blade thickness is the same as the small sebenza. The belly of this blade runs for a good amount of the knife, allowing it to be a supreme slicer and surprisingly capable cutter. This is nothing new to anyone familiar with Chris Reeve Knives. The hollow grind done on this knife is just as good as any other CRK. The lifespan of this knife should last a good long while as well. This blade is in CPM S35VN Steel, which has been done excellently. I mean, it is no surprise that a company working with S35VN for this long has gotten this good at heat treating it. I have used CRK's S35VN in the past, but this has been preforming much better than my previous encounters. I don't know if I just got lucky with this one in particular, or if they have to heat treat these Impinda's more accurately to match the HRC of the S35VN back spring, but this knife has remained sharp for about a month now and I have only ever needed to strop it to get back it's fine edge. It did not come laser beam sharp from the factory, but working edge sharp, so that you can extend the lifespan of your edge in general. I am not one to go for hair whittling edges, and I just need something that will cut stuff, so I prefer this. You however may not, so keep that in mind that you may have to sharpen this yourself if you want it to be hair whittling.

SGO6Dep.jpeg

Here is one thing that really separates this drop point blade from the rest of CRK's drop points. I believe only the Umnumzaan and the Impinda do this, but as we can see from the picture above... it has a swedge on the top of the blade going all the way to the tip. This is supreme, and this makes it one of the better piercers that I have ever tried from CRK. It goes into material so easily, it is like a needle. This would be perfect for getting out a splinter, or just being accurate with your tip, which is useful for me personally when opening boxes or packaging. This swedge is something you need to be aware of when closing the knife however, as the top of it is not an edge, but can be somewhat sharp. The spine of the blade is not crowned like you see on most other CRKs, which made me a bit sad as I like crowned spines. However, after using it for awhile, I can understand why this choice was made. A flat surface is easier to push on so that closing the knife is a bit easier. So that is the reason why they made the top of the spine flat. If I had the choice to get it crowned, I don't think I would.

w1fOq8Q.jpeg

As we can see, the blade is absolutely bigger than 3 inches in length. For me, I like my knives to be in the 3.25 size range. I feel as if I have more control of my knives in this size. For me, this is a bonus. For our friends in areas that need to have a blade below 3 inches, this might not be a great thing. Something to consider if you have stupid laws. I love that this is slightly larger than the Small Sebenza, and substantially larger than the Small Inkosi or Mnandi, but yeah having it be just slightly above a legal line might piss some people off. Trust me, I understand this completely. Being in Colorado, a Large Sebenza is 3.6 inches in blade, but the law says I can only carry 3.5 inches! So silly.

Last edited:
So one of the main questions I had before this knife, and the question I think many of you have is this: "CRK mentioned that this knife is harder to close than it is to open, is that true?"

sVxeGDQ.mp4

To answer your question: Yes, it is harder to close than it is to open. But only slightly. It is absolutely harder to close than most other traditional or modern slip joints. The mechanism invented by Harsey is something that absolutely comes into play. Before I talk about how it feels, this is what it looks like.

maxresdefault.jpg
Impinda%2520intern%2520mechanisme

So basically what this is, is an oblong shaped tang of the blade, that interacts with the spring bar in a way that the longer part of the oblong shape will make more contact with the surface of the spring bar when closing, than when opening. It's just geometry! Very smart way of doing a pivot for a non locking knife.

What this translates to in feeling, is that it takes more force to overcome the shape of the blade tang when closing, having a bias to stay open when you try to close it. There is a bit of resistance that you can feel, which is the tang of the blade interacting with the spring bar. That resistance ends at around the point where you get to the area of closing in which a half stop would be on traditional slip joints. This knife has no half stop, but resistance of the pivot lessens around the point in which a half stop would exist. It is truly a unique mechanism, and no matter how long I explain it to you, it won't make sense until you have handled one and broken one in to really understand it. I have more confidence in this pivot mechanism in not closing on my hand, than other traditional slip joint knives. I don't think you will like the action on this knife if you are expecting something like a traditional knife, this is totally different. I do however like the feeling of the action.

At the beginning of my ownership, the action felt gritty, but as the back spring wore on the blade tang and smoothed out (like most all slip joint knives need to do...). Now the action feels very smooth, and the acoustic snaps of the blade coming open and clicking into the back spring, and the sound of the blade closing shut being pulled by the detent, sounds great. It is not the raindrop on glass snaps that you hear from closing and opening a Sebenza. It does sound good in my opinion though.

Last edited:
The weight on this knife isn't bad either. At about 3.5 ounces I don't think this is going to be considered too heavy for anyone outside of ultralight backpackers. Even then, I feel like this will be fine.

wW0Yjcm.jpeg

The pocket clip has been a topic of many people. Lots of people seem to dislike the pocket clip and claim that it tears up pockets.

DSC_0091_5a8db900-b7cf-49fe-b8a1-770e08ee234d_400x.JPG

It is quite the strong pocket clip. It will not fall out of anything that it is clipped onto. The clip has not torn up any of my pockets, but I also don't take out my knife that much everyday to use. I found the pocket clip to be nice because I know it won't come loose. If you dislike the pocket clip, or find it to be eating up your pants too much, this knife does have options. For one, it comes with a filler tab to get rid of the pocket clip completely, along with a leather pouch if you want to carry it all fancy style. For two, the pocket clip fits the same size as a Small Sebenza pocket clip, so you can just buy one for about $12. I think that the milled clip that it comes with not only looks great, but functions great too, so I personally leave it on. The pocket clip that the Impinda comes with is also flat, and does not curve up like Sebenza/Inkosi's pocket clip, and so it does not create a hotspot in use. If you find that you don't like it, you have options and relatively cheap ones at that. You could also go fancy and get a custom clip too.

Horror-silhouette-of-man-with-knife.jpg

Something else I discovered when using this knife, is that basically no one is afraid of a slip joint. Using two hands to open a knife, and using two hands to close a knife is something that seems to put the knife-scared people of the world at ease. In no way is a slip joint considered a "tactical" or "scary" knife by most peoples standards. The size of the Impinda is also small enough for most people not to bat an eye if you take it out to cut a cardboard box, or bag open. I know that most of us knife nerds don't care about other people's opinions on if a knife is scary or not. But even with that considered, I think it is nice to have a knife that is easy for most people to view as simply a tool, and nothing more, even if they are people that are scared of knives. I mean, just compare the slower two handed opening of an Impinda to a flipper like an XM-18. The scare factor is going to be on the flipper.

Segway, so lots of people think that opening a two handed knife would be really bothersome. I think it just takes a change in mentality. If you plan ahead to take out a knife, so that you will have one hand free to open the knife, then it is not a problem. If you are someone that regular encounters situations in which you need to have a knife be one handed, then maybe don't buy a two handed opening knife. For me personally, I did not really encounter any situation in which I needed one hand to hold something, and one hand to open the knife. All I needed was to take a second, and I mean literally a second, to put down the bag or box or whatever, take out my knife, and open it. I have actually timed this, and opening a knife one handed and opening a knife two handed is a time difference of only about a second if you are practiced with it. Unless you plan to use your knife in a tactical situation, or emergency situation, I don't think this is going to be an issue. But this knife is absolutely a two handed knife. It is also too hard to open with your mouth, like many grandpas open their traditional knives. With the swedge on the blade, I would also advise not opening this knife with your mouth, unless you want to look like the Joker.

z5ulfDL.mp4

In terms of hard use and cutting performance, I have used this on pretty much everything that I use a locking folder on. I have never had the knife close on me, or even start to close on me. I have done cardboard cutting, food prep, box tape cutting, bag cutting, chord cutting, zip tie cutting, wood whittling, and a bunch of other everyday EDC tasks. The Harsey pivot here really does a good job at staying open, and not closing unless you put a decent amount of force on the spine. I view this knife as CRK's work horse of a slip joint, and it preforms as such. Is this going to work on a farm setting or a construction setting or something that requires a lot of hard use? I don't know, but if you think you need a locking blade, and you can legally get one, just buy that. This is going to be relatively unsafe if you really put a lot on force on it, but all slip joints and non-locking knives are. Just use common sense, and you will be fine. I know everyone has those childhood stories of using a slippy and cutting themselves bad, and those situation can still happen, but just use your brain and you should be fine. Of course, like I've read in other threads discussing if locks are needed on knives or not, I will quote "Why do cars have seatbelts if you never crash them?". The answer is, because you CAN crash them. So yes, slip joints are going to be more dangerous than locking knives, but hey I like a little danger.

Last edited:
So in my final conclusions, I have found myself to like the Impinda over any other Chris Reeve knife. It has, in my opinion, perfect dimensions, perfect ergonomics, a great blade shape, a unique and interesting pivot mechanism that has never been seen before, and the quality and tolerances that come from all Chris Reeve knives. At first I was a bit worried that I would miss a lock, or miss the ease of use of a one handed opening folder. But to be honest, I have come to enjoy two hand opening my Impinda. The act is almost meditative, and it is a sure thing. You will not fail at deploying a two handed knife, unless you are very skilled in the wrong way.

The detent on the Impinda, like a Spyderco back-lock also keeps your knife closed even when dropped. So you will never have to worry about your knife accidentally opening due to whatever reason on the Impinda. This knife wants to stay closed, and when it is open the Harsey lock ensures that it stays open stronger than other slip joint mechanisms. It's ergonomic lines hook into your palm and you feel absolutely locked in and confident when you are holding the Impinda. The drop point with a swedge makes for a heavenly piercer and slicer, and the S35VN heat treatment is some of the best I've had on any CRK in use.

Do a quick search on Bladeforums and you will find that there are slip joint knives that are one hundred years old and still work. The Impinda I'm sure will last even longer than one hundred years. The slip joint has been a time tested, and proven knife design that has lasted for generations. I fully plan on passing this down to my children when I am older, and I feel like it will still function completely fine when I do. This is a working man's slip joint, it takes the soul of the Sebenza which is a working folder built to last forever and be a precision made tool and brings it to the modern slip joint. I think aesthetically it looks beautiful, and the pivot is one of the most gorgeous I've ever seen on any knife. Taking apart the knife and putting it back together is very very easy, as you build it sandwich style. Having a slip joint that is easy to take apart in general, is a rare thing indeed. The fact that the washers have recessed areas milled into the titanium for them to fit into specifically is also a great touch and makes cleaning and maintaining the Impinda even easier.

If you have heard bad things about the Impinda, but you still want it, I think you should give it a try. I think it is one of the more underrated releases of CRK and it has become my favorite CRK of all time. It might not match your personal tastes, but I think as a knife it is fantastic.

Last edited:
I really enjoy seeing these types of write ups.

Lots of info, pictures, animations, and content.

Great post, and nice knife.
Thank you! I enjoy reading these types of posts too. That's why I want to make one to contribute back to this awesome community.

I'm two days into ownership of an Impinda and I love it !

I recently got into CR knives and currently own a small and large Sebenza and a Large Inkosi. I liked the idea of a modern slipjoint that can be easily maintained by the user so i sought out an Impinda. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I do, and I plan on keeping this one a long time... I have an XL hand and I agree with your size review, the feel in your hand, and the review of the blade. It's just a great knife !

Thanks for writing a thorough review...

I'm two days into ownership of an Impinda and I love it !

I recently got into CR knives and currently own a small and large Sebenza and a Large Inkosi. I liked the idea of a modern slipjoint that can be easily maintained by the user so i sought out an Impinda. I really didn't expect to like it as much as I do, and I plan on keeping this one a long time... I have an XL hand and I agree with your size review, the feel in your hand, and the review of the blade. It's just a great knife !

Thanks for writing a thorough review...

Oooh another Impinda owner! Don't worry about if it feels too stiff or gritty now, it wears in beautifully.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. The only crk that I would keep if I had to sell them all is my impinda. It does everything so well.

I never would have agreed with you before I tried the Impinda. But now that I have used it for awhile, I totally agree, and in fact the Large Sebenza is off to the post office today!

I gave the Impinda a chance.. twice actually. It just didn’t feel as great as a small Sebenza to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice knife… but at $450 I need to love it, and I don’t. The pocket clip is just awkward for me.. it doesn’t sit deep enough and it is too tight. It’ll definitely be a PITA for anyone wearing jeans.

I think it’s a $250-$300 knife. At $450 I think most people are better off saving $75 and buying a small 21/31… or get the large for the same cost. They are WAY out of line on the pricing of this one. But for people that like traditional knives but want the CRK experience, I guess it’s a fit.

Nice review, very good details.

I gave the Impinda a chance.. twice actually. It just didn’t feel as great as a small Sebenza to me. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a nice knife… but at $450 I need to love it, and I don’t. The pocket clip is just awkward for me.. it doesn’t sit deep enough and it is too tight. It’ll definitely be a PITA for anyone wearing jeans.

I think it’s a $250-$300 knife. At $450 I think most people are better off saving $75 and buying a small 21/31… or get the large for the same cost. They are WAY out of line on the pricing of this one. But for people that like traditional knives but want the CRK experience, I guess it’s a fit.

Nice review, very good details.

I think that the price makes sense because of the R&D and collaboration split that they must have had to do in order to work with Harsey. It is also a fairly unique design and a new design at that for CRK so they need to open up machining time for it. I think it makes sense, just as much as an Umnumzaan makes sense to be at 450.

Also the clip is easily replaceable for $15 on Chris Reeve's website so I don't really think that is a big deal either.

I think that the price makes sense because of the R&D and collaboration split that they must have had to do in order to work with Harsey. It is also a fairly unique design and a new design at that for CRK so they need to open up machining time for it. I think it makes sense, just as much as an Umnumzaan makes sense to be at 450.

Also the clip is easily replaceable for $15 on Chris Reeve's website so I don't really think that is a big deal either.
That’s cool, opinions vary. If I pay $450 it had better be perfect out of the box, not require me to order more parts. I don’t think this knife is wildly popular and mostly due to the cost. The Sebenza is the flagship and to cost the same? That’s a whole lotta “nope” from me.

I’m glad some people like it, and I’m glad CRK ventured into the traditional arena. I’m happy with my large sebenza.

Back