Photos Impofu ...... The beauty of the beast

Okay. This is really a beast. The IMPOFU. If I am informed correctly, so far the largest blade ever released by CRK.

10 inch blade length (25 centimeter) and an overall lenght of 16 and a quarter inch (approx. 41.3 centimeter). I guess that is the caliber of a Busse Battle Mistress. Even a bit larger. Weight is about 20.2 oz (572 gram).

Blade Steel is CPM 3V, coated with KG GunKote. Scales are made of black micarta.

Introduced at Blade Show 2014 it is a limited edition of 500 individually numbered pieces. Not sure how long it took to produce the quantity of 500. But I am pretty sure it was done in one or maybe a few batches within a limited period. Mine has a higher number and birthcard tells it was made in July 2015. I guess they completed production approx. one year after the launch.

Here we go with some pics.

The knife comes with a leather sheath. I think a more functional cordura/kydex combo sheath like the ones they deliver together with their military knives would have been nice too.

Impofu, 01

Number of the beast ....

Impofu, 02

Impofu, 04

Interesting, these kind of "gills" at the grip:

Impofu, 03

The only (minor) thing which I do not like, or at least do not understand. I think they could have aligned the jimpings of the blade tang and the scales, as they for instance did at the Nyala. Not a big thing and most likely you won't notice while handling the knife. It just caught my attention while processing the pic at my computer.

Impofu, 05

Some comparison pics together with the Neil Roberts Warrior Knife .... which is not a small knife ....

Impofu, 06

Look at the blade thickness .....

Impofu, 07

Another size comparison with a micarta buddy :)

Impofu, 08

Impofu, 09

Thanks for your feedback.

^^^LoL!

I missed out on a couple of opportunities to get the Impofu...so ended up recently purchasing a Bark River Bravo III to fill the void.

^^^LoL!

I missed out on a couple of opportunities to get the Impofu...so ended up recently purchasing a Bark River Bravo III to fill the void.

I did not know of their manufacture until 2017. I also bought a BRK Bravo III. I communicated with CRK and they said that they were mot looking at Impofu remanufacture now or in future.

I'm thinking of changing the blade geometry on the leading 4in of my Bravo. I wanted the top swedge sharpened and retailer said they would send knife to BRK to have it done, but it was not done.

Great pictures as always Stefan!

I did not know of their manufacture until 2017. I also bought a BRK Bravo III. I communicated with CRK and they said that they were mot looking at Impofu remanufacture now or in future.

I'm thinking of changing the blade geometry on the leading 4in of my Bravo. I wanted the top swedge sharpened and retailer said they would send knife to BRK to have it done, but it was not done.

Welcome to Bladeforums!

I am a bit sad that it's a limited run of 500 pieces. Not sure if that counted the original 14 or so?
These do come up now and then if you keep your eye on the exchange.
I was lucky enough that my wife purchased one for me (#45 IIRC).

Great pictures as always Stefan!

I am a bit sad that it's a limited run of 500 pieces. Not sure if that counted the original 14 or so?
These do come up now and then if you keep your eye on the exchange.
I was lucky enough that my wife purchased one for me (#45 IIRC).

There were 515 produced, 14 pre production, these 14 were not part of the 500 and are slightly different from the production run, they have a hole in the guard. This was covered here when the production Impofu's came out.

The one missing is the prototype Chris made and this is in my collection, I have 3, the prototype, 1 of 14 and the number 8

Stefan
The Impofu could be the longest bladed CR knife to be mass produced but years ago Chris hand made 12 Sable's with 12 inch blades

Yeah... it's a beast indeed!

IMG_0929.jpg

Not sure how long it took to produce the quantity of 500. But I am pretty sure it was done in one or maybe a few batches within a limited period. Mine has a higher number and birthcard tells it was made in July 2015. I guess they completed production approx. one year after the launch.

Great pics! Just for reference, #53 is dated October 20, 2014, on the card. And don't downplay the Gfeller leather sheath. A true piece of art to complement the knife itself. (I do understand that you just mentioned the plastic sheaths as perhaps an option. But, to repeat myself, that Gfeller leather sheath is just beautiful.)

Your point is well received. I didn't mean to put down the Gfeller work at all. But particularely with such a big knife (if I would want to carry and to use it) I would very much appreciate the versatile ways of carrying the knife, for instance by mounting the sheath at a bagpack/daypack via molle or tec-lok systems, which sheats like those from Spec Ops for example are offering. To me this is an asset when it comes to very large knives.

It's a beauty!

Okay. This is really a beast. The IMPOFU. If I am informed correctly, so far the largest blade ever released by CRK.

10 inch blade length (25 centimeter) and an overall lenght of 16 and a quarter inch (approx. 41.3 centimeter). I guess that is the caliber of a Busse Battle Mistress. Even a bit larger. Weight is about 20.2 oz (572 gram).

Blade Steel is CPM 3V, coated with KG GunKote. Scales are made of black micarta.

Introduced at Blade Show 2014 it is a limited edition of 500 individually numbered pieces. Not sure how long it took to produce the quantity of 500. But I am pretty sure it was done in one or maybe a few batches within a limited period. Mine has a higher number and birthcard tells it was made in July 2015. I guess they completed production approx. one year after the launch.

Here we go with some pics.

The knife comes with a leather sheath. I think a more functional cordura/kydex combo sheath like the ones they deliver together with their military knives would have been nice too.

Impofu, 01

Number of the beast ....

Impofu, 02

Impofu, 04

Interesting, these kind of "gills" at the grip:

Impofu, 03

The only (minor) thing which I do not like, or at least do not understand. I think they could have aligned the jimpings of the blade tang and the scales, as they for instance did at the Nyala. Not a big thing and most likely you won't notice while handling the knife. It just caught my attention while processing the pic at my computer.

Impofu, 05

Some comparison pics together with the Neil Roberts Warrior Knife .... which is not a small knife ....

Impofu, 06

Look at the blade thickness .....

Impofu, 07

Another size comparison with a micarta buddy :)

Impofu, 08

Impofu, 09

Thanks for your feedback.

Love the included sheath but I am looking for a "tactical" sheath as well. The SpecOps only go to 8" or I'd get another one of those.

I was inactive on the CRK scene when this knife came out... but read this thread and have one coming my way from a dealer (I was lucky to find one!)... it is a very impressive knife from CRK... can't wait to handle it

About the sheath... first of all it's a piece of functional minimalistic art. Love the Impofu sheath and it can be put on backpack without issue. Actually I like it so much that... I've got one more made for me in natural leather finish. And that is a picture 2 weeks ago in the mountains... Impofu on my Mystery Ranch pack.

20170617-DSCF6505.jpg

Kydex sheath is actually not a problem. There are SO MANY kydex makers now... most of them with great skills and superb sense of design. It's not a real issue to get one made, especially in US.

Piter, How does the knife perform on your hiking / camping trips

I've chopped a lot of wood with it. Love it as a camp knife and for me it's manageable as a forest hiking knife BUT for a mountain hike I'd not take such a heavy beast. There is my thread on this forum with a lot of pics of my Impofu in use. Easy search ;)

And also I was asked on priv to show how I attached Impofu to my pack... here's how. Different pack but attachment method is just the same:

IMG_9915.jpg

Back