Import or domestic

If you don't have any moral/political issues with buying Chinese knives then I think it comes down entirely to what you like the most. I completely respect the folks that keep their luxury purchases inside the states, personally I like my collection to have a bit of international flair, so I have knives from France, Italy, Spain, Germany, China, Taiwan, the USA, Canada and Japan.
International man of mystery I like that! Thumbs up on your outlook.

Import or domestic is not the biggest issue for me although I prefer to purchase domestic. Ergonomics is the issue in my book. Quality materials and workmanship also come into play. If I can get those features for less with an overseas purchase, I'll consider it. It really depends upon what the item is, when it's needed, and how difficult it is to find locally.

Beyond that, customer service is a huge thing I take into consideration when I purchase. It normally keeps me buying local instead of something made halfway around the world.

Just think what things would be like if we all bought locally.

Import or domestic is not the biggest issue for me although I prefer to purchase domestic. Ergonomics is the issue in my book. Quality materials and workmanship also come into play. If I can get those features for less with an overseas purchase, I'll consider it. It really depends upon what the item is, when it's needed, and how difficult it is to find locally.

Beyond that, customer service is a huge thing I take into consideration when I purchase. It normally keeps me buying local instead of something made halfway around the world.

Just think what things would be like if we all bought locally.
Yep Sabre Cat, service after the sale is a big consideration often overlooked. Also supporting our local, domestic brothers and sisters is important in the big picture. Thanks! (cool cat)

Stop buying 28 cheap folders and get one or two nicer ones. See if you can offload what you have and recoup some of the money to put into a higher end knife. Either domestic or foreign, it's like beer, eventually you will try both, but don't buy the cheap stuff.
I know, right? If only I knew more about it when I bought the cheaper ones, I could have had a couple of real classics by now. Oh well, perhaps I will try to offload as you say...Thanks for your realistic outlook unwisefool

Save up to buy whatever knife model you like. The only thing to consider in the case of China is that you’re buying from a totalitarian state that gives a crap about its people and continuously seeks to restrict and violate basic human rights. They also hate the US and the freedom it represents. Every time you buy from China you’re giving money to that regime. It has nothing to do with patriotism but rather with basic human decency. Now as far as the question does buying foreign make you less patriotic? I think that’s kinda silly. Buy whatever knife you like. I buy European knives all the time and that doesn’t mean I don’t love this country.
Yeah, Legendary_Jarl, I guess that's what bugs me about the Chinese knife thing, I just wonder where the money goes, to decent hard working Chinese craftsmen, or, as you say, the Regime. I wish it was simpler to sort out, I know there's good people everywhere, but also there's bad governments and their leaders, which I don't want to support...but yeah, I do love this country, but can appreciate other knife makers too.

Last edited:
In this phase of your knife journey, does it suit you better to have a wider variety of knives or have fewer quality knives that will serve you for a long time.
If I knew what I know now when I first started down this rabbit hole of being obsessed with knives, I would have spent less on budget knives and saved for quality knives. I still have many gateway knives that don’t get used, but damn the journey has been fun.
Don’t worry over the small stuff, have fun and enjoy it all. Sooner or later, your curiosity will get the best of you and you’ll take that leap. That’s when you’ll understand why people don’t go back to budget knives.

I always go USA over China or Taiwan with everything if I can afford to, but I can't fault your choices

If the COO doesn't matter to you then there's nothing to it, if it does even a little I say you'd regret not buying American.

I'm not rich
:) Me neither ! Not even close .

So , I have a fairly strict budget for "entertainment" and knife purchases are a subset of that . Keeps peace in the family and promotes domestic tranquility . :cool::thumbsup:

I don't even seriously consider any knife over ~$150 and most I buy are under $100 . Many are cheaper .

I buy what I want to and not to please or impress others . I don't really much care what anybody else thinks . It's my money , not theirs ! :p

I buy whatever I think will be the most fun for me to play with . Works for me ! YMMV . ;)

OP:

I would say buy whatever you enjoy and makes you happy. Don't worry about being labeled patriotic or unpatriotic. I love this country no less than anyone else; that doesn't mean I can't own, enjoy and use knives from other places. I have many knives from Switzerland and Japan, and some from Taiwan that I like A LOT. i also have many great USA-made knives. The preferences I concentrate on now are Victorinox, Spyderco and Chris Reeve, though I own many other brands as well.

Buy for yourself, and forget needing to 'keep up' with anybody else. There really are no "shoulds" in a knife hobby.

Jim

In this phase of your knife journey, does it suit you better to have a wider variety of knives or have fewer quality knives that will serve you for a long time.
If I knew what I know now when I first started down this rabbit hole of being obsessed with knives, I would have spent less on budget knives and saved for quality knives. I still have many gateway knives that don’t get used, but damn the journey has been fun.
Don’t worry over the small stuff, have fun and enjoy it all. Sooner or later, your curiosity will get the best of you and you’ll take that leap. That’s when you’ll understand why people don’t go back to budget knives.
Thanks, I do kinda enjoy having a variety of cheaper classics for now, my Rat1, Tenacious, Blur, etc. Not exactly grail, but, I like them for what they are.

:) Me neither ! Not even close .

So , I have a fairly strict budget for "entertainment" and knife purchases are a subset of that . Keeps peace in the family and promotes domestic tranquility . :cool::thumbsup:

I don't even seriously consider any knife over ~$150 and most I buy are under $100 . Many are cheaper .

I buy what I want to and not to please or impress others . I don't really much care what anybody else thinks . It's my money , not theirs ! :p

I buy whatever I think will be the most fun for me to play with . Works for me ! YMMV . ;)
Thanks, sounds honest, stay true to myself and enjoy my choices. I like that.

OP:

I would say buy whatever you enjoy and makes you happy. Don't worry about being labeled patriotic or unpatriotic. I love this country no less than anyone else; that doesn't mean I can't own, enjoy and use knives from other places. I have many knives from Switzerland and Japan, and some from Taiwan that I like A LOT. i also have many great USA-made knives. The preferences I concentrate on now are Victorinox, Spyderco and Chris Reeve, though I own many other brands as well.

Buy for yourself, and forget needing to 'keep up' with anybody else. There really are no "shoulds" in a knife hobby.

Jim
Thank you James, I feel relief and freedom from your post.

I always go USA over China or Taiwan with everything if I can afford to, but I can't fault your choices

If the COO doesn't matter to you then there's nothing to it, if it does even a little I say you'd regret not buying American.
Nice, thank you! Don't want regret!

I 100% agree with Ajack60 Ajack60 . Its not the quantity or COO that is exciting, its the journey. Sometimes when we do all this crazy research and just buy what others say is “the best” we take it for granted when we aquire it. Because we have nothing else to compare it too.
That being said, it sounds like you have aquired knives to compare more expensive knives too. :) Just remember, because its expensive doesnt make it good.
The journey is all about figuring out the blade steel you like, the blade shapes you like, the handle shapes and materials you like, the thickness, the applications you personally want a knife/s for...etc. That is where the fun is. Appreciating all aspects in the cheaper knives. When you think that you have all that figured out...now is the time to buy that quality “expensive” knife that has all those qualities. :) There is so so much more appriciation for that blade.
I started with “budget” blades and aquired a lot, sold most of them to move up, and now have some very highend customs, and i love them all. I have enjoyed my journey so far, and i must add...no matter what i put in my pocket...there is always a large Sebbie in the other pocket.
Enjoy the journey!
Keep ‘em Sharp!

Daily Tip - dont by high priced knives to impress others on IG...then you will be unhappy and broke. Lol.

I 100% agree with Ajack60 Ajack60 . Its not the quantity or COO that is exciting, its the journey. Sometimes when we do all this crazy research and just buy what others say is “the best” we take it for granted when we aquire it. Because we have nothing else to compare it too.
That being said, it sounds like you have aquired knives to compare more expensive knives too. :) Just remember, because its expensive doesnt make it good.
The journey is all about figuring out the blade steel you like, the blade shapes you like, the handle shapes and materials you like, the thickness, the applications you personally want a knife/s for...etc. That is where the fun is. Appreciating all aspects in the cheaper knives. When you think that you have all that figured out...now is the time to buy that quality “expensive” knife that has all those qualities. :) There is so so much more appriciation for that blade.
I started with “budget” blades and aquired a lot, sold most of them to move up, and now have some very highend customs, and i love them all. I have enjoyed my journey so far, and i must add...no matter what i put in my pocket...there is always a large Sebbie in the other pocket.
Enjoy the journey!
Keep ‘em Sharp!

Daily Tip - dont by high priced knives to impress others on IG...then you will be unhappy and broke. Lol.
Thank you Sharp & Fiery. You sound very wise. I want to enjoy my journey too. I'm not big into social media, not looking to impress anyone. I just like knives, their designs, story of their designers, the inspiration behind it, choice of materials, among other things. I never held a Sebenza, but I bet the fit and finish and attention to details along with the "feel" of it would help me get over the cost. We only go around once, right? I'm honored to get advice from a platinum member, you've given me much to ponder!

If you add the “@“ symbol before someones username, it will notify them that you tagged them...for example Maxawear Maxawear
Also, i would suggest up grading to gold membership for a very minimal amount of $, it gets rid of those pesky adds and allows people to PM you. And its a
great private forum to support. :) Also you can now list the knives youd like to sell here to upgrade to other knives. :) You have proven yourself polite, and im sure i speak for others as well when i say “Welcome to BF”. Looking forward to you contributing here in the future.
This is one of the best forums to be a part of, and the members are great.
Sounds like we have some interests in common. Looking forward to your say here at BF.
S&F

ultimately, I think this question is moot, the right answer is make it yourself ; )

when you go down this rabbit hole deep enough, you'll end up running into all the bladesmiths
at least that's my conclusion

If you add the “@“ symbol before someones username, it will notify them that you tagged them...for example Maxawear Maxawear
Also, i would suggest up grading to gold membership for a very minimal amount of $, it gets rid of those pesky adds and allows people to PM you. And its a
great private forum to support. :) Also you can now list the knives youd like to sell here to upgrade to other knives. :) You have proven yourself polite, and im sure i speak for others as well when i say “Welcome to BF”. Looking forward to you contributing here in the future.
This is one of the best forums to be a part of, and the members are great.
Sounds like we have some interests in common. Looking forward to your say here at BF.
S&F
Oh ok, Sharp & Fiery Sharp & Fiery . I see. Yep, I like it hear, I have had fun talking with many members so far, every seems helpful and all have their own unique spin on the topic. Thank you all very much. I will surely upgrade, I start my new job tomorrow. It will take a couple weeks for me to catch up my "life" bills, then I will join gold or better. ( I hurt my thumb at work and lost my job over it a month ago ) The fun and human contact I've felt here all weekend has helped me feel better tremendously in this rough time for me. Thanks a million all!

Back