Impressed by new ZT models

lol, I love how no one holds back in these discussions ; )

for what little it's worth, I've always thought zt was rather overpriced & overhyped but I'm admittedly always seeking the best value for performance $ you can get (pricey knives usually don't hold up well in that regard)

I may of been overly hyperbolic with the collectors comment, but I do think they left the hard use market.We will have to disagree. The 0609 it is artistic knife with a completely un-necessary pivot. The 0640 has weak linerlock with cf overlays, and thumbdisks which most find inferior to all other opening methods. You clearly don't understand that these knives are utterly useless to soldiers or hard use outdoor men especially with gloved use.

I’m at a loss as to what information you used to arrive at a conclusion about what I think about the needs of soldiers and... (it hurts my head to type the following words in this order) “hard use outdoor men”.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what I think they do with their ZT 0560s?

I may of been overly hyperbolic with the collectors comment, but I do think they left the hard use market.We will have to disagree. The 0609 it is artistic knife with a completely un-necessary pivot. The 0640 has weak linerlock with cf overlays, and thumbdisks which most find inferior to all other opening methods. You clearly don't understand that these knives are utterly useless to soldiers or hard use outdoor men especially with gloved use.

Not sure they are many hard use folders that fit your need , if you are outdoors man stay with fix blade if you are a soldier And have to pry open doors and cars and all those things soldiers do get a fix blade .

The only ZT that I’ll consider stronger built would be the 0550 . No the 0640 it’s not a thick frame lock but it’s strong enough to do some heavy duty work .

lol, I love how no one holds back in these discussions ; )

for what little it's worth, I've always thought zt was rather overpriced & overhyped but I'm admittedly always seeking the best value for performance $ you can get (pricey knives usually don't hold up well in that regard)
What the heck? Nobody asked for your opinion, but since your into that heres mine. (If you dont have anytjing good to say dont say anything).
Lol. One in every crowd.

Back to thread. Yep, I dig the ZT knives, very well made. I love the 920

Another hero desk jockey.

I like the looks of the 640, but I'm not overly zealous of the green cf scale. I'd love to see that in a green micarta. I think that'd really look good.

I see, so RBID's actual pictured "hard use" isn't actually hard use, only soldiers and "hard use outdoor men" actually use knives hard. Got it.

Also, I'll chime in with another vote for the ZT 0640. It's a tremendous knife, and far better than my 0560, or (LMAO) my 0561 were. Criminy, the 0561 was one of the most useless knives I've ever owned. I think it was something like three and a half feet thick behind the edge. I was happy to get more than I paid for it when selling it here a year or two ago. That thing was worthless.

I'll never understand this idea that ZTs must be crap because they are made of what some consider to be "dress-up" materials like CF with fancy pivots. It is ok to be able to work hard and look nice, ya know.

What the heck? Nobody asked for your opinion, but since your into that heres mine. (If you dont have anytjing good to say dont say anything).
Lol. One in every crowd.

Back to thread. Yep, I dig the ZT knives, very well made. I love the 920

Dag. I really do regret not grabbing one of these. I need to rectify that this year.

I see, so RBID's actual pictured "hard use" isn't actually hard use, only soldiers and "hard use outdoor men" actually use knives hard. Got it.
What is hard use about, plastic straps, zip-ties and cardboards? Those are easily handled by SAK's. As those are the three primary uses that R RBid said he used his knives for.

What is hard use about, plastic straps, zip-ties and cardboards? Those are easily handled by SAK's. As those are the three primary uses that R RBid said he used his knives for.

Those are hard users whether you agree or not. A soldier or "hard use outdoorsman" won't have any harder use for a knife than that. Hell, most soldiers carry a multitool and don't tend to use a blade at all.

Source: I'M an outdoorsman who has beaten on plenty of knives, many of which have been ZTs.

I’m actually a bit surprised there’s so many 0640 fans. IMO it goes to prove how well ZT can execute a design. I suspect I’ll have to try one at some point.

In the mean time I finally have a 0609 inbound. Hopefully a hard use outdoor man doesn’t mock me about it...not sure I’d be able to recover from the emotional trauma. Safe-space anyone?

Even though there’s always a fair amount in ZT’s catalog that doesn’t float my boat, I always appreciate the build quality. On the other hand, the ZT’s I like, I like a lot. I keep dreaming ZT will do a Shamwari-esk colab with Gareth Bull.

Edit b/c initial post had embarrassing 0640/0470 confusion. Lack of sleep fueled by cold medicine. I don’t recommend it.

Last edited:

“Hard use” doesn’t have a specific, consistent meaning. That’s why I’m always very specific about the context of my use, whether in discussion here or in my videos. I prefer to be clear about where my perspective comes from. I’d describe my use as “more of the same”, as opposed to “hard use”.

Regarding your SAK comment: I invite you to test this. Go make 60 zip tie cuts, 50 plastic straps, and 100 yards of cardboard, with a fresh edge on an SAK. Check your edge after. That can be a single day for me.

For a more true to life representation, pocket and deploy the SAK 50 or so times during that test.

Then do it again two more times in a week.

If you were to do so objectively, I’d predict that you’d find yourself wanting to go back to one hand opening, a pocket clip, and a steel upgrade.

Not “hard use”, but it’s definitely use.

OP makes a lot of good points, yet I have found some of their designs to be beautiful (eye of the beholder I guess). The 561 was a knife that inspired lust for me for awhile. I love the 562cf in both form and function. It shaves facial hair, glides through duct tape, cardboard, zip ties yet has a thick edge to it. Since I always have a Millie in my pocket, its less than optimal slice ability isn’t an issue.

“Hard use” doesn’t have a specific, consistent meaning. That’s why I’m always very specific about the context of my use, whether in discussion here or in my videos. I prefer to be clear about where my perspective comes from. I’d describe my use as “more of the same”, as opposed to “hard use”.

Regarding your SAK comment: I invite you to test this. Go make 60 zip tie cuts, 50 plastic straps, and 100 yards of cardboard, with a fresh edge on an SAK. Check your edge after. That can be a single day for me.

For a more true to life representation, pocket and deploy the SAK 50 or so times during that test.

Then do it again two more times in a week.

If you were to do so objectively, I’d predict that you’d find yourself wanting to go back to one hand opening, a pocket clip, and a steel upgrade.

Not “hard use”, but it’s definitely use.
If cutting that much, a more premium steel would be better. But I have installed multiple servers and firewalls in one day, probably opened and broke down 20+ boxes and many, many zipties/velcro ties. It managed, I would of wanted a better steel and also one handed opening/closing(for example my Spyderco Domino or Skaha 2 but that wasn't allowed, however a knife without a lock handled those tasks. By my definition of "hard use", a knife without a lock couldn't complete these theoretical tasks( or at the very most safely complete the tasks). Which the features you mentioned (premium steel, one handed opening) are available on non-locking knives.

Back to the point of this thread, I've stated I prefer older ZT models to the newer models, that is all.

Last edited:
If cutting that much, a more premium steel would be better. But I have installed multiple servers and firewalls in one day, probably opened and broke down 20+ boxes and many, many zipties/velcro ties. It managed, I would of wanted a better steel and also one handed opening/closing(for example my Spyderco Domino or Skaha 2 but that wasn't allowed, however a knife without a lock handled those tasks. By my definition of "hard use", a knife without a lock couldn't complete these theoretical tasks( or at the very most safely complete the tasks). Which the features you mentioned (premium steel, one handed opening) are available on non-locking knives.

Back to the point of this thread, I've stated I prefer older ZT models to the newer models, that is all.

I have no idea how you’ve now transitioned to locking vs non-locking.

I’m going to walk away now.

It’s amazing to me how little love the 0470 gets. I know there were some early reports of less than perfect build quality (which surprised me as ZT usually gets it right), but mine is perfect and I love it. Great design, materials, and so EDC friendly. I guess I am a bit of a Sinkevich fan boy.

It’s amazing to me how little love the 0470 gets. I know there were some early reports of less than perfect build quality (which surprised me as ZT usually gets it right), but mine is perfect and I love it. Great design, materials, and so EDC friendly. I guess I am a bit of a Sinkevich fan boy.

4/4 samples I’ve handled have been great. I even spine whacked mine at the end of the review for the naysayers.

Back