Impressed by new ZT models

What the heck? Nobody asked for your opinion, but since your into that heres mine. (If you dont have anytjing good to say dont say anything).
Lol. One in every crowd

Hint: what I said was neither good nor bad, it was an opinion on the thread topic. Since when was the rule here at bf to not say anything if it's not something good? That seems to be myopic at best, and it would result in very loud echo chambers.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echo_chamber_(media)

(this is generally considered a bad thing)

to clarify, I find zt very good looking blades overall, and they have excellent quality. I've used them in the past, but I find they are on the high end of the price spectrum (for me), thus, not a good value for the $ (again, for me).

tell me again how this is 'bad'?? please allow for more nuance than good or bad, life really really is more complex than that

In my opinion, the last great ZT was the 0560. They have been regressing from hard use practical knives since then. My "favorite" brand hasn't had anything worth buying in years. Guess it says about how they're more collectors then guys who use their knives.

The 0560/0561 is my favorite ZT knife. I wish they would re-release it with the adjustable, steel lockbar insert like the 0562 has.

The 0640 has weak linerlock with cf overlays, and thumbdisks which most find inferior to all other opening methods. You clearly don't understand that these knives are utterly useless to soldiers or hard use outdoor men especially with gloved use.

The 0640 is a FRAME LOCK.

The first thing you'll notice is the handle. The stonewashed titanium handle features a green carbon fiber composite overlay on both sides. In addition to the engaging green overlay, the handle also features ridged machining at the top that follows the handle's angular contours, both front and back. A sturdy frame lock with hardened steel lockbar insert provides a secure lockup. Jimping at top and bottom of the handle enhances grip.

https://zt.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/zt0640

The 0560/0561 is my favorite ZT knife. I wish they would re-release it with the adjustable, steel lockbar insert like the 0562 has.

What do you mean? KAI did release ZT 0561 with a lockbar insert (and finally discontinued it).

Finally? You weren't a fan of the ZT 0560 series?

I was and still am. But with the later released 0562/0562cf, I just seriously doubt how well the 0560/0561 would sell even if it were not discontinued. There are definitely people who prefer 0560/0561 to 0562, but I suspect there are more people the other way.

I was and still am. But with the later released 0562/0562cf, I just seriously doubt how well the 0560/0561 would sell even if it were not discontinued. There are definitely people who prefer 0560/0561 to 0562, but I suspect there are more people the other way.
I am indeed one of those individuals who prefer the ZT 0560BW over the ZT 0562.

I have just received my 0393 today. It is the beginning of the honey moon period ;)
It definitively fits my hand better than my 0562. The G10 adds some thickness and texture and the curve on the back of the handle just a little bit less dropping than on the 0562 and I prefer that
The shape of the finger groves are also different

The flipping action on my new 0393 is faster than on my 0562. I will wait it to break in to see how this evolve. But clearly both are very good flippers
I like the possibility to use the stop pins as thumb studs, than make the knife more fidgetable

I am already getting used to the color pattern of the 0393. Maybe it is due to my “flashy-minja” side ;)

Only nickpick so far is the pocket clip, clearly not the best one designed by ZT
It looks good and hold the knife firmly in the pocket but not the best design to clip it into the pocket.

First cardboard and apple cutting tests went well.
The spanto grind put on this knife is actually interesting
I have the feeling the blade is thinner on the tip of the blade and thicker on the flat.
I will do some more test but that it unusual to me and I feel a real difference compared to the 0562. I prefer the 0393 for cutting tasks compared to the 0562

Putting both knives side to side I am surprised how the 0562 looks like an heavier duty knife.
The 0562 as a much thicker piece of titanium for the frame lock side and the blade is taller than on the 0393 and keep more thicker at the tip.

Good to have both for comparison

OK, first day with the 0393 has been very positive

I had the opportunity to test the knife on more food prep and te cardboard cutting.
The nice it have started to get used to the compound grind I has performed very well.
It is a different “touch” than the usual, more standard, grinds I use.
It may be disturbing for some but I start to like it.

The action is now really good, after playing with it all the day it can already appreciate l some nice break-in.
I have a lot of fine with playing with thumb studs and flipper for the opening.
I am more a manual than flipper opening type of guy so this knife is just a real pleasure for me.
I can either flip it open with the tab or the thumb studs or roll it open slowly with the thum studs

Well done on the detent ZT

At the moment I see it as a serious challenger for my PM2 s110v
I am now sure I will let my 0350, 0801 and 0562 go
It is clearly a nice ZT, and I appreciate to have given it a try

My concern so far is the pocket clip
It really need to have some more rampe to allow an easier introduction in the pocket

I am based in france and M**gear doesn’t ship to France, if someone knows about some manufacturer of hinderer clips that ship to France, please PM me

4/4 samples I’ve handled have been great. I even spine whacked mine at the end of the review for the naysayers.

Once again another great review RBid. BTW Did you ever notice how people who usually dislike/Hate on a particular knife manufacturer NEVER post a pic of the knives they are hating on,:confused: makes me think that they never owned one at all. Just saying:D. POST PICS and you might have a little more validity.

Once again another great review RBid. BTW Did you ever notice how people who usually dislike/Hate on a particular knife manufacturer NEVER post a pic of the knives they are hating on,:confused: makes me think that they never owned one at all. Just saying:D. POST PICS and you might have a little more validity.

Thank you very much!

They do make good knives (mostly)...unfortunately their PR people are a-holes...

What have I missed? When I met Jim, he went above and beyond. He left the ZT booth to find me at Blade West and introduce me to Kershawguy. Jim was one of the nicest people we met, and blade west was full of nice people.

What have I missed? When I met Jim, he went above and beyond. He left the ZT booth to find me at Blade West and introduce me to Kershawguy. Jim was one of the nicest people we met, and blade west was full of nice people.
Yea not talking about Jim, who I believe is an engineer first and company rep second (he designed the 0777/0770/Natrix)...rather their guys who used to be on here, Thomas especially.

cJvWMt8.jpg

03zHhen.jpg

Back