Impressed by new ZT models

First week of use and it start to get used to the knife
It is a great ZT for sure and it will replace 2/3 of the ZT in my collection ... well done ZT

The detent on this model is incredible and both manual and flipping actions are great

I love the grind of the blade and once you get used to it, it is really useful

The ergonomics are good but the saber grip is clearly the most comfortable

The lock is good and I have no complaint on it

I was sceptical about the blue anodising and the high carry but it blends quite well in jeans
At the end the carry is not too visible nor flashy

I am waiting for a black Hinderer clip to be delivered and I will check if it improve the carry of the knife. I don’t care about deep carry with this knife but an easier way to slip the knife into the pocket will be a plus

Compared to the 0562 the lock side is thinner but still more than enough for EDC/real user knife
However I have the feeling that some more thickness to the handle will have improved the comfort of the grip

But I have to be honest that is the price to pay to forget the knife when you carry it in your pocket

I will update when the knife will have its new clip and I would like to test it on some harder tasks like some wood or construction work to check how it works

I had the opportunity to handle the 0470 and it is great: action and gripbare very good

I have already my rotation for this type of gentleman carry otherwise I would have pick it too :)

The 0560/0561 is my favorite ZT knife. I wish they would re-release it with the adjustable, steel lockbar insert like the 0562 has.

Some of the later production run 0560bw have the lock bar insert. The one I own does and is a safe queen lol.

I have installed a new clip -basic hinderer - on muni 0393 and I like the carry better with this one
No hot spot even if it has more upswept than the original

In the mean time the knife start to break in a little bit

Very happy with this ZT

I'm really liking the looks of the 0470. I hope to pick one up eventually.
Have one of these and quickly surpassed many of my knives as a favorite. Put it this way, if they discontinue someday I will definitely grab a 2nd one. Really nothing about it I don't like and can't say that about ANY of my others. Well, the price maybe. :)

In the hinderer by ZT it is my favorite just before the 0550 gen 3 i sold recentlyThe 0562 is a great knife but I prefer the ergonomics and action of the 0393

Finally I don’t dig the hinderer pocket clip on the 0393
It didn’t disturbed me first but in fact it create a kind of hot spot for me
I understand why ZT has made such a low profil clip
I have put the original clip back and I will see if i can accompdate with it

Does anyone have tested a deep carry clip on the 0393, it would be great to have some pictures from you

I love my 0560. IMHO, the price is very reasonable, and comparable to similar quality blades fronm other makers.

I’m actually a bit surprised there’s so many 0640 fans. IMO it goes to prove how well ZT can execute a design. I suspect I’ll have to try one at some point.

In the mean time I finally have a 0609 inbound. Hopefully a hard use outdoor man doesn’t mock me about it...not sure I’d be able to recover from the emotional trauma. Safe-space anyone?

Even though there’s always a fair amount in ZT’s catalog that doesn’t float my boat, I always appreciate the build quality. On the other hand, the ZT’s I like, I like a lot. I keep dreaming ZT will do a Shamwari-esk colab with Gareth Bull.

Edit b/c initial post had embarrassing 0640/0470 confusion. Lack of sleep fueled by cold medicine. I don’t recommend it.

I’ve been wishing Gareth Bull would just let WE or Reate build some of his designs for a long time.

The shamwari is not a very ZTish knife imho.

Finally I don’t dig the hinderer pocket clip on the 0393
It didn’t disturbed me first but in fact it create a kind of hot spot for me
I understand why ZT has made such a low profil clip
I have put the original clip back and I will see if i can accompdate with it

Does anyone have tested a deep carry clip on the 0393, it would be great to have some pictures from you
I’m looking for the same - got an 0393 and love it but am wondering about deep carry.

I am trying to get use to it.... the knife Is really worth it and i will be sad to be part of it due to such a detail

After a couple of week or so it seems the clip has some breaking in too.
At least it is easier to clip in the pocket than what it was few days ago

I’m still expecting Alliance to announce a Bull Shamwari, built by Reate, at some point. Probably with a crazy grind and inlays, instead of the minimalist form. Pivot collars will be there for sure, if it happens. Probably wouldn’t come in at a reduced price, and would only really serve to make them more available.

Back on topic: when I wrapped up review carry this week, the two knives I was twitchy to get back to were my Keen and 0470.

Just chiming back in here to say that the ZT 0640 has been an excellent EDC knife. Nice and slim, disappears into a pocket, and once my thumb-disk upgrade gets here, it'll be perfect. Stock one's too small, but it's Emerson sized, so they're just following the design.

I really want to pick up a 640 this year. Hardest thing it will do is slice open some of those plastic packing straps, cut up some cardboard shipping boxes maybe once a week, and slice cheese and summer sausages at lunchtime and at cookouts. But man, it will look good doing it!

Hey all - Been on a ZT buying tear recently and wanted to share my experiences. I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect ZT EDC because as much as I love my 0562cf, I find I don’t carry it much because it’s big and not a great slicer (though the deep carry clip is awesome and I have it flipping like a dream since it’s worn in). Most of my EDCing is food and some paper/cardboard, so I like the slicey.

Tried the 0470, and immediately got rid of it, maybe because the model I had had a very soft detent which turned me off. Also, the styling seems a bit bland to me, even though I know a lot of people like it. Pretty slicey and super easy to carry.

Got a 0393 - and am shocked by how much I love it. It’s a safe queen at this point because I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it and it’s brand new, but the action and the looks and everything EXCEPT trying to get it in and out of my pocket with the G10 and shallow standard clip is amaze-balls. Wow. Still heavier than what I’d want, and the blade stock is as thick as the 0562. But, wow.

Got a 0609 with deep carry clip and pivot tool. Detent is better than 0470, and there is nothing objectionable. I find the Martin design and wavy titanium *much* more interesting than the 0470, and it’s slicey and carries great. Just not in love. I happened to pickup a used Benchmade Anthem that same day - which is slicey and thin and unfortunately way more expensive - so that might have skewed my perception. Anyway, I’m going to sell it (PM me if interested).

Have a 0640 coming tomorrow, excited to see what that’s all about.

FWIW, I’ve also owned and sold an 0450 G10 sprint run (didn’t like the ergos and not super slicey) and an 801Ti which wasn’t as great a flipper as I had expected and generally underwhelmed me.

I currently own and will probably never sell, a gen 2 0550 which I never carry because it’s a beast but which has a special place in my heart. Like the guy who drives a Range Rover just *in case* he needs the ultimate off-road capabilities. That’s like me with the 0550. I cut apples.

The 0850 and 0920 I’ve heard very positive things about, but both too big for me for this experiment.

Oh knives! I love you, why do you hurt my wallet so!!

Back