Impressed by new ZT models

For a long time my 0350 and 0550 gen.3 have been my favorite ZT
As time goes my tastes have evolved
And when I still consider them as great knives i have moved to something else.

0801, 0562 and especially 0630 are great for me but they miss something for my taste.
I would like to see a 0801ti in Ann higher steel than s35vn, a 0562 with a slicer grind and I have been stupid not to get a 0630cf when it was still available :(

For some time ZT haven’t produced knive that were IMO true to their moto

The 0640, 0562ti and 0393 all seem very legit to me as ZT knives

I think the 0640 is the one I prefer: manual opening, washer, incredible detent, neutral handle and smooth action.
I already have a 0562cf and don’t feel the need of a Ti version

I ended up picking up a 0393 because I prefer the ergonomics on this one compared to the 0562 and I enjoy th number of opening options I have on it... I can open it slowly or very fast with the thumb studs/stop pins or use the flipper
This make the knife very « fidgetable » which is fun ;)

After using it i prefer the grind of this one compared to th 0562...

But IMO that is just a question of personal taste.

<fanboy>
What I like on these models is that they have a good grip, a good detent and some solid stop pins.... in combat nation with good steels that make very interesting ZTs
<\fanboy>

More seriously I am happy to find some interest in recent ZT models

Hey all - Been on a ZT buying tear recently and wanted to share my experiences. I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect ZT EDC because as much as I love my 0562cf, I find I don’t carry it much because it’s big and not a great slicer (though the deep carry clip is awesome and I have it flipping like a dream since it’s worn in). Most of my EDCing is food and some paper/cardboard, so I like the slicey.

Tried the 0470, and immediately got rid of it, maybe because the model I had had a very soft detent which turned me off. Also, the styling seems a bit bland to me, even though I know a lot of people like it. Pretty slicey and super easy to carry.

Got a 0393 - and am shocked by how much I love it. It’s a safe queen at this point because I’m not sure if I’m going to keep it and it’s brand new, but the action and the looks and everything EXCEPT trying to get it in and out of my pocket with the G10 and shallow standard clip is amaze-balls. Wow. Still heavier than what I’d want, and the blade stock is as thick as the 0562. But, wow.

Got a 0609 with deep carry clip and pivot tool. Detent is better than 0470, and there is nothing objectionable. I find the Martin design and wavy titanium *much* more interesting than the 0470, and it’s slicey and carries great. Just not in love. I happened to pickup a used Benchmade Anthem that same day - which is slicey and thin and unfortunately way more expensive - so that might have skewed my perception. Anyway, I’m going to sell it (PM me if interested).

Have a 0640 coming tomorrow, excited to see what that’s all about.

FWIW, I’ve also owned and sold an 0450 G10 sprint run (didn’t like the ergos and not super slicey) and an 801Ti which wasn’t as great a flipper as I had expected and generally underwhelmed me.

I currently own and will probably never sell, a gen 2 0550 which I never carry because it’s a beast but which has a special place in my heart. Like the guy who drives a Range Rover just *in case* he needs the ultimate off-road capabilities. That’s like me with the 0550. I cut apples.

The 0850 and 0920 I’ve heard very positive things about, but both too big for me for this experiment.

Oh knives! I love you, why do you hurt my wallet so!!
Sounds to me like ZT in general might not be for you. You’ve about run the table there. Might be time to shift brands. I can’t think of one you have not tried that does not have an issue you have described that bothers you about the others. I need to get my hands on one of those 640’s. They look intriguing.

Sounds to me like ZT in general might not be for you. You’ve about run the table there. Might be time to shift brands. I can’t think of one you have not tried that does not have an issue you have described that bothers you about the others. I need to get my hands on one of those 640’s. They look intriguing.
Could be, could be - but oddly I keep getting waves of warm feelings for the 0562cf. I try to get the courage up to sell it but wimp out. Haha, sounds like I’m trying to leave a girl!! Other knives I’ve been enjoying (not ZT) are Sebenza, Kizers T1 and Feist, Boker Exskelibur I, Massdrop Gent, Massdrop Keen, and Shiro F95NL.

The only 2 Zts I own currently are both from 2018 I believe. The 0393 and the 0470. And both are wildly impressive to me. The 470 is likely one of my favorite all time knives.

I love my Hinderer ZTs. Everything about the 0393 works for me as an ergonomic cutting tool with great fit and finish and materials. The aesthetics and clip were my only very minor downsides so I changed those up. Hinderer pivot screws, tabs and clips work on the 0393. The custom scales also made the ergonomics better for my hand size.

20190121_093532-1134x2016.jpg 20190121_093538-1134x2016.jpg

Last edited:
Back