1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

In honor of Stropman (Robert)

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mr.SATism, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Mr.SATism

Mr.SATism

Jul 31, 2017
    It came to my attention that a beloved member of the community has passed away recently. I would like to have a post commemorating his life, his works, and his contribution to the world, but unfortunately, I have had only a short talk with his loving and caring wife when he was in the hospital earlier this year. It would be greatly appreciated if people can contribute and honor the man who has worked so hard for us.

Yorkshire Boy and matt009au like this.
  2. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I have one of his strops and talked with his pleasant wife about two yrs ago. Sorry to hear about him.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  3. BellaBlades

BellaBlades

Jul 12, 2013
    RIP Stropman Robert.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  4. NorthernSouthpaw

NorthernSouthpaw Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Very saddening to hear. I love my 4-stroke and have recommended Stropman products to many people.

RIP Robert...

Mr.SATism likes this.
  5. thefamcnaj

thefamcnaj Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Sad to hear this. Such a great guy, i love my stropman 4 sided strop.
    RIP stropman-thanks for everything

Mr.SATism likes this.
  6. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Don't know of him, but he sounds like a great guy who will be missed by many in the community.

Condolences go out to anyone who knew him.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  7. SW-EDC

SW-EDC Platinum Member Platinum Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Sorry to hear of this.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  8. Anaries

Anaries

Sep 7, 2015
    Have one of his 'Billy's' hangin next to my fav chair. RIP. Hell, some smoke too for those who know.

His cs was top-notch. Dave or Whitty level.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  9. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp Freedom for @Fullflat!!! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    This is a real tragedy for our community. I engaged with him a couple of times through email or some sort of messaging and he was a joy to deal with. His products were equally top notch. I have a couple of his strops hanging around at all times.

rooster68 and Mr.SATism like this.
  10. chambelona59

chambelona59

May 4, 2012
    Rest in peace Robert.
    An honor to own one of his strops!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rooster68, Mr.SATism and SW-EDC like this.
  11. cootersplace

cootersplace

Jun 8, 2006
    Thoughts and Prayers for love ones and friends. R.I.P.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  12. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Smoke & prayers sent high for Robert and family , he will be deeply missed.
    [​IMG]

rooster68 and Mr.SATism like this.
  13. knolan

knolan

Apr 23, 2013
    I too have one of Robert's "Jumbo Leather Strop's" I bought a few years ago, and it was clear that he enjoyed engaging with his customers and creating quality strops for those of us who enjoy this hobby. God bless his family and friends in this time of grief.

Mr.SATism likes this.
  14. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for letting us know. I have a few of his strops. Will never let them go now. Very sad.

DrRollinstein and Mr.SATism like this.
  15. theJman

theJman

Sep 2, 2015
    What a shame to hear that he passed. His large paddle-style strop has been my go to for at least 3 years. He did good work.

DrRollinstein and Mr.SATism like this.
  16. oldmanrunning

oldmanrunning

Apr 22, 2013
    I have only just become aware of Stropmans sad passing. Some time back when i was ordering a Paddle Strop i mentioned that i was tickled pink to be getting something from Texas. He texted back that he was in the middle of moving to another state and my strop was likely the last one from Texas, when it arrived he had burned the name Texas on the base of the strop making it unique, needless to say i will never part with it and i think of a real gentleman every time i use it.
    My condolences to his family.
    Robert Biggs.

d762nato, B Griffin, Pilsner and 3 others like this.
  17. Stays Sharp

Stays Sharp

Nov 21, 2013
    I got one of his strops in 2011. Still going strong.

Class act, always heard positive things about him. Saddened by the news.

18. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Sorry to hear this.

19. Frailer

Frailer Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 25, 2009
    In the “small world” category, I just got a text from my father with a picture of a 4-sided he picked up for me at a family reunion.

Turns out one of my uncles was a friend of Robert’s, and he—in conjunction with his brother—purchased the business.

This isn’t a plug, as I haven’t taken possession of the strop, much less tried it out. Nevertheless, I do know my uncle is a skilled and meticulous craftsman, so I hope the new products compare favorably to the originals.

20. DRLyman

DRLyman Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2016
    Sorry to hear this. RIP