In like a Lion, Out like a... Share your Winter Pics

I love winter. Here in the Northeast (and not even where it gets real cold/heavy snow) I hear more complaining than people embracing a new season. It is my favorite time to be out in the woods or on a mountain. It offers new challenges and skill sets, no bugs, less people; Plus, there's nothing quite like the landscape and scenery changes under the weight of fresh powder.

Share them if you got them. Even sunshine and palm trees will suffice (winter counts down there too). Bonus points if there is an Osprey K/T Knife or two in there.

Here are several highlights from what I shared on Instagram this season.

33324149360_d8dd712774_c.jpg

33579102431_b5fd7c99ab_c.jpg

33324153770_5bc3f76edb_c.jpg

33579153281_913c99917b_c.jpg

e57cc9a78e36e67848116d2625f47b4a.jpg
ca58dee8f73f599504627f640d3ff9a6.jpg
db86b4002d86dc2b640a42c0bafd8e21.jpg

Because of its temperate climate For 25+thousand years, likely more, this hill country has been an oasis to what we call the human inhabitants, certainly pre Clovis. All this to say... unfortunately no snow .. but solitude and its own kind of beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That one looks familiar...

Hey Phil That's because it is[emoji41]
That water out in the middle is well over 6 ft deep yet you can see the bottom as if it's maybe 2 ft deep! May it still be running that clear there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
kNKKvjs.jpg

I like this thread Danny!

This is from January here in Portland. The picture is facing north, and that's the Portland Skyline in the background. This photo was taken at the wildlife refuge, about 8 blocks (5-10 min walk) from my flat. It looks down into a marsh where there are numerous birds and wildlife species that are protected there. It's a great hike when you don't have the time to leave the city, but want to get a dose of nature. It also has a really awesome population of great blue herons. The lady and I even know a tree where a bald eagle hangs out everyday :).

cMK6PZw.jpg

A little bit tough to get a focused pic on a cell phone, but bald eagles are very numerous here!

They are fascinating to watch, and hearing them call out to one another is fascinating.

Ihn2lm7.jpg

This last one is from a segment of the Pacific Crest Trail in the Mount Hood National Forest. We were snowshoeing in late February and did about two miles of the stretch up this hill for an excellent view of the winter wonderland.

cMK6PZw.jpg

A little bit tough to get a focused pic on a cell phone, but bald eagles are very numerous here!

They are fascinating to watch, and hearing them call out to one another is fascinating.
I really want to get up to the Pacific NW at some point. We've been to CA and Vancouver but have never have made it out to Washington state.

It is always awesome to see bald eagles in the wild. We get the wintering Eagle migrations here along the Hudson River. Beautiful birds.

Because of its temperate climate For 25+thousand years, likely more, this hill country has been an oasis to what we call the human inhabitants, certainly pre Clovis. All this to say... unfortunately no snow .. but solitude and its own kind of beauty.

Some pretty hills out that way. The water looks inviting

I really want to get up to the Pacific NW at some point. We've been to CA and Vancouver but have never have made it out to Washington state.

It is always awesome to see bald eagles in the wild. We get the wintering Eagle migrations here along the Hudson River. Beautiful birds.

I'd highly recommend it! Knowing how much you enjoy your nature walks, it'd be right up your alley!

Roughing it :)

This must be Arizona. Such a beautiful state

Yes, great thing in every direction and so close, you can gain 7000ft altitude, go from the Sonoran Desert to conifer forest and usually drop 40 degrees+ just 90 miles from my front door.

Some pretty hills out that way. The water looks inviting

Here's a picture I took on Jan. 4 ("Winter") from the top of our place in the Texas Hill Country. I suspect the hills in the right foreground are in between me and the same river in Varga's picture. Lots of evergreens, but mixed with some hardwood stands and the river is lined with cyprus. I also suspect that picture is taken not far from the spot my wife and I got married, while standing in the Medina river. Small world....

dabhOaRz1wE0Lv9iWxOFy3iDhlcTp8hKDq391HDgOfGzyHWtwrWVITro5a8B9NaFi4XH4JwOu7rAIgoTvS7OUlFi29TgYrPzG-ugHb_3R7dJIoYwNWDiS9rCW90xbiaZsmCpc5qFlmxzTLtqjFPEg20CUoXehykcG9xTes2FJjs4o3ex1H7m6jayni8xyJaiPZ1gp3sw2YLJSb4fXTGHJW5j7mzUR8Sb30ZOTESfhv0YLzefKnXHr02KR0dQAvXoAXsDYf4qrcUWqjlesZXyyXJ8fAi03j5_b12qK-wADgSGI5H5_w2DU-_ohL-R5CUh2fGsNDvry9xonqfU8m4hYiDKrYMYB8ixMWap70CqOmLJFMUgqIqYt0xM4jOP_dfBdawtxRE6N17HcSHdabY12oUudCYhad7fDmFsuYIXk1cK068AIdChwICqLvqw0aGuv5oFeV22wjM5TM25yrHzAcK3jPgKp6cCf0_ylvYo2z8LZG5qLtq9RNYlh9ba_GotzCaIlxKfMYi_-Q1xyYybIqfCi9vBH0bkxSQC3-677RGjlbzgeZ-2cWvtHannV--OfnZls_ix5ya-Xx0ZiQq5pSwp5792FsM44aJbDAz_msIjo9Dmr43c=w1260-h945-no

Yes, great thing in every direction and so close, you can gain 7000ft altitude, go from the Sonoran Desert to conifer forest and usually drop 40 degrees+ just 90 miles from my front door

We visited Arizona 3 or 4 years ago, starting in the Phoenix area for a week then moving north towards the Grand Canyon. Hiking around the desert and trails in Sedona was amazing. As we increased our elevation, I recall driving through some white Aspen forests that reminded me of the Birch stands here at home. I'm past due for a return trip, that's for sure.

Yes, great thing in every direction and so close, you can gain 7000ft altitude, go from the Sonoran Desert to conifer forest and usually drop 40 degrees+ just 90 miles from my front door.

Here's a picture I took on Jan. 4 ("Winter") from the top of our place in the Texas Hill Country. I suspect the hills in the right foreground are in between me and the same river in Varga's picture. Lots of evergreens, but mixed with some hardwood stands and the river is lined with cyprus. I also suspect that picture is taken not far from the spot my wife and I got married, while standing in the Medina river. Small world....

dabhOaRz1wE0Lv9iWxOFy3iDhlcTp8hKDq391HDgOfGzyHWtwrWVITro5a8B9NaFi4XH4JwOu7rAIgoTvS7OUlFi29TgYrPzG-ugHb_3R7dJIoYwNWDiS9rCW90xbiaZsmCpc5qFlmxzTLtqjFPEg20CUoXehykcG9xTes2FJjs4o3ex1H7m6jayni8xyJaiPZ1gp3sw2YLJSb4fXTGHJW5j7mzUR8Sb30ZOTESfhv0YLzefKnXHr02KR0dQAvXoAXsDYf4qrcUWqjlesZXyyXJ8fAi03j5_b12qK-wADgSGI5H5_w2DU-_ohL-R5CUh2fGsNDvry9xonqfU8m4hYiDKrYMYB8ixMWap70CqOmLJFMUgqIqYt0xM4jOP_dfBdawtxRE6N17HcSHdabY12oUudCYhad7fDmFsuYIXk1cK068AIdChwICqLvqw0aGuv5oFeV22wjM5TM25yrHzAcK3jPgKp6cCf0_ylvYo2z8LZG5qLtq9RNYlh9ba_GotzCaIlxKfMYi_-Q1xyYybIqfCi9vBH0bkxSQC3-677RGjlbzgeZ-2cWvtHannV--OfnZls_ix5ya-Xx0ZiQq5pSwp5792FsM44aJbDAz_msIjo9Dmr43c=w1260-h945-no

I was taught to swim in the Medina, well my grandfather tossed me in! I baptized my two children in the Medina 1974, 1978..I spent a good many nights as did all my kin back to the 1920's along the Medina... saw the flood of 64 and 78 and a few others..Small world indeed Phillip

I am really enjoying this thread, I a a sucker for a beautiful landscape, unfortunately I don't have anything to add, it is already spring here and most everything is covered in the annoying yellow pine pollen.

Thank you to everyone for their contribution. And to Danny (FeralGentleman) for starting this awesome thread, it got me thinking about a dedicated thread to landscapes and a Bonus if you include an Osprey, I need to figure out a title, but I would encourage you guys to one up each other!

An OKT and Nature thread could be fun...

Went for a hike in the local state park Saturday. Some patches here and there but mostly mud and snowmelt flowing down the mountain. Hello Spring!

Back