In memory of

Cliff Stamp

BANNED
Just a suggestion, but maybe a knife could be designed and a small run made in memory of Bill and Rusty. Nothing fancy, but true to those guys, who were true to HI, straightforward, no hype, just good honest guys who would appreciate a good honest knife.

-Cliff

We've thought about that, Cliff, and as a matter of fact, the WWll would be a good choice as both men liked it. But we'll let things settle, Yangdu return, and see if special runs are appropriate. You think these would sell outside of HI forum, that other members of Bladesforums would want one?

munk

Brilliant idea, Cliff - glad to see you posting here again.

I really don't want to start any rumors.....but something is already "in progress" for this. It will be incredible, at a great price and something we have wanted for a long time. As per Yangdu's wishes, that's ALL I'm willing to say about it.

Again, I'm not trying to spin the rumor mill....but since you opened up the can-o-worms....thought I'd address it quickly.

The idea was Yangdu's and it's on her list of things to do while in Nepal.

munk - if you don't mind, I'd rather not have this discussion get too out of hand.....iykwim.....I apologize for being vague and possibly coming across as secretive. :(

You love being vague and secretive--admit it!

I, for one, am willing to wait. My giref is still too raw to be thinking about a memorial run.

I think I could handle buying one of those kerambits DIJ keeps talking about in the meantime though...hint, hint...

Then let's let this rest. What Yangdu wants to do is what all of us want too.

Enough said.

munk

I have some guesses!!!!!! :eek: :D

(No, not the SUPER-DUPER SALYAN - 2 full-sized Mercedes leaf springs, forge welded together to get the required thickness! :eek: :rolleyes: )

Wandered back along memory lane to March of 2002. Found a familiar thread, this from Cliff Stamp to me on testing out my first (non HI) khukri, @13 inches) Painstakingly meticulous. Thanks again, Cliff. :thumbsup:

Kismet :

What light duty tests would you like me to try? This will probably be a back-pack tool, replacing a hatchet.
Some pretty standard wood work would be my first series of testing. Fell a few soft-medium small trees (4" and under), limb them out and buck them up into 1' long sections. Here you are looking for (a) raw penetration, (b) low wedging, (c) accuracy and precision, (d) grip comfort and security and (e) edge durability and retention. This work should not have significantly blunted the edge nor damaged your hand.

Next is where you raise the stakes quite a bit more and use the khukuri to split the wood. Since the wood is quite small, you should be able to do this without any difficulty just by chopping into the ends of the wood. Since they are uneven from the bucking you might need to trim one edge off with a saw, or just clip a bit with the blade. You are again looking for the same aspects as in the above. Here it is quite possible to see much more dulling because you are chopping right into knots on occasion, but you should not see visible deformation.

Now you sharpen the blade. It should rise back up to a fine shaving finish quite quickly, being a carbon steel, either plain or spring most likely. Depending on what manner of hones and finishing equipment you use this should only take 5-10 minutes. If it is longer then the blade was blunted too much, or suffered too much damage. This assumes of course you are freehanding, with clamps and such it might take much longer so use your experience to judge.

Next I would look at fine cutting ability, wood whitling, rope cutting, that kind of thing. Carve a few points on some of the wood you cut and, and put some handles on some of the other pieces, try using it as a draw knife. Try some push cuts through rope as well as slices. Try it out on some fabrics and other materials. To enhance the slicing performance you might want to leave the edge near the handle at a rougher finish (lower grit), and put a high polish around the sweet spot up out on the blade for chopping.

Lastly I would find a decently large piece of wood, at least 8-10" or better (20" or better if you are related to Will Kwan) and chop through it. This is going to take some time and induce a decent amount of fatigue and sweat. This will let you look at extended use handle characteristics as well as the edge durability when your technique starts to get sloppy.

Other non-cutting testing would include hammering with the spine, point work, for example breaking up a stump to get dry wood for tinder, or heavy prying (lots of uses), and root and bone chopping. Some of these will induce damage no matter what the knife, root chopping for example can induce rock contacts, and all can cause damage if taken to the extreme. In order to interpret the results you need to have some experience with other knives in order to know what is good and what is poor performance.

The above is a decent place to start and is roughly how I first take look at large wood working blade. There is lots more you can do obviously, you are only limited by your imagination. A khukuri is a very useful all around tool and there are quite a few ways that it can be used by creative people. Check some older posts for lots of details.

Cliff

Back