In need of some advice

Hey guys,

So I've been on this forum for quite a while, around 2016 I think, mostly to find some precious information (thank you very much to this awesome community for providing). I've been carrying knives for EDC tasks for several years, but sticking to pretty budget stuff. I've recently started to move toward higher priced products, but very task oriented, my latest aquisition being a spyderco carribean for my outdoor/fishing trips (really needed that awesome stainless quality, I live in Belgium and even if I'm not fishing the outdoor is always wet here).
Thing is, now that I've got a taste of this quality level, I can't go back and end up carrying the carribean for my edc as well, which is really not ideal. So I'm looking for a new, quality EDC knife. I work behind a bar, and mostly use my knife at work for quick food prep (lemon, grapefruit, packages - the knives at work are crappy and dull) or at home for regular tasks. So the stainless quality still has to be there (bye bye M4), but not to to an extreme level. I also need a pretty good slicers with relatively thin stock. I like sharpening, I do it by hand on wetstones and kinda suck at it but I can get a pretty good edge non the less.

I've narrowed my search to three knives that (I think) would match my need :
-TRM Atom
-Protech Malibu
-WE kitefin

Given that I live in Belgium, the US made aspect of the first two don't really matter to me (if anything, it makes them a bit harder to get).

I was hoping some of you could help me narrow it down to one final winner (one those three or another one I haven't thought about).

Thank you very much !

I have an Atom, and would recommend it without hesitation... however, I'm certain that other two would serve you well. For me, the Malibu is the least appealing of the three you mentioned.
Take a look at the Southern Grind Spider Monkey.
This decision may best be made based on which is most easily available to you

I have an Atom, and would recommend it without hesitation... however, I'm certain that other two would serve you well. For me, the Malibu is the least appealing of the three you mentioned.
Take a look at the Southern Grind Spider Monkey.
This decision may best be made based on which is most easily available to you

Thank you for your advice! I took a look at the spider monkey, but the proprietary hardware, the really not deep carry clip and the angry monkey face on the pivot kinda turned me off... Plus it's 50 euros more than the atom or the malibu and 80 more than the kitefin, so I ruled it out... But definitely a knife I looked at!

Thanks again!

I know you said you have narrowed down your list but just want to be sure you considered the Spyderco Salt line. A Dragonfly or Pacific Salt might not be super pretty but are super functional and might fit your needs very well.

I dont have any of those blades yet. If it were me, I would go for the atom. Great geometry and simple design. Also, aftermarket customization!

Back