In Praise of Kershaw

Petunia D. Feeble

I once waved at Stevie Wonder…
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I've owned plenty of ultra budget blades in the past. Most were fine in terms of function, but left much to be desired.

They would lock open, but had blade play one way or the other. They could be opened with one hand, but would hurt your thumb or open so easily that you worried about them in your pocket. They had a pocket clip, but would slip or destroy your pocket.

This was almost always true for cheap knives of the modern or tactical variety. It would cut things, but didn't really offer any more value than a lowly Opinel. If that.

I've since graduated to bigger and better things. Like many, I've settled in the $100-200 range for my usual carry. It's a price I'm comfortable with and provides a lot of value with some pride in ownership as well.

Since settling in this range I haven't paid much attention to the sub-50 dollar category. Certainly not the sub-20 dollar category. Until this last weekend.

I was browsing BladeHQ, as I often do when my wife is watching something terrible on TV, and stumbled upon a Kershaw sale. I saw a couple knives that really intrigued me:

20170922_185005.jpg

These are not new models by any means, but not ones that I was really familiar with. The Injection 3.0 and 3.5.

They've a lovely utilitarian Rexford design. Both are comfortable in the hand, have a perfectly tensioned pocket clip, flick open quickly, lock open with no play and are almost perfectly centered. A collection of traits that some higher end manufacturers, looking at you Benchmade, often struggle with.

20170922_185117.jpg

They also have g10 handles and 8cr13mov steel. Not a super steel by any means, but better than anything my granddad had and he used his knives for years at a time. It'll do.

The most astonishing thing I think is that I paid less than $25... for both of them. $25 for either would be a great deal, but for both is simply amazing.

Budget folders from China in 8cr13mov probably won't take over my EDC, but I couldn't be happier with these two and I think they'll get plenty of carry. Well done Kershaw.

Took my Kershaw Clash to a couple field operations and to mountain training, Abused that knife and it held up very well.

Kershaw is putting out a lot a very nice knives in their budget line, made in China with 8cr13mov. I have the Cryo G10 (a Hinderer design) and the AM-4 (based on the Al Mar Talon) and they are both well made, good fit and finish, for not much money. If you're interested in a Cryo, I recommend the G10 version. For a few dollars more it is a lot nicer than the versions with the steel front scale. It's like a slightly smaller version of the ZT 566 (not as good of steel but over $100 cheaper.)

I have nothing bad to say about em, but the only Keyshaw I want is a Blur in Elmax or s30 or a Tilt. Man oh man, I wish they would make the Tilt again; even if only in s30 or 35. Doesn't have to be in unicorn steel Vanax or anything.

It seems like the Injections never really took off and I honestly have no idea why. They're really nice budget blades and I've gifted a number of them because they often seem to be on sale for well under the cost of an FRN Byrd (which I think are great values as well, but add G10 and the KAI warranty? Fugedaboutit).

I recently bought a Kershaw Induction on a lark because it has a Hawk Lock. It was about $40 retail. I have a couple of MUCH more expensive Hawks and ... it's not even close to these in quality. Actually. some guys here have reported bad QC issues with their's but mine is quite nice and probably the only way you can currently get a Hawk Lock for under $400. I recommend.

I have/had both...I'm amazed you can buy these for as little as you can. Damn, I just bought 10.

Kershaw is usually what I end up carrying when money is tight and I downsize below the $100 mark - and, every time, they surprise me. The Kershaw CQC-4KXL was one of my all-time favorites, and a Kershaw Nura is a real pleasure to use. I never really got into the Skylines, probably because they didn't flip how I wanted them to, but, when I got my hands on a Kershaw Echelon and took out the torsion bar, it was a real thing of beauty.

Even now, when I have an okay amount of money to throw at knives, I see their newer offerings like the Deadline and the CQC-10K and have a hard time not putting the cash down for them.

I have the small Injection and several other Kershaws. The Oso-Sweet is my favorite, but I've never had a bad experience with any Kershaw. IMHO (of 65 years of collecting and using), Kershaw makes an excellent product and get undeserved bashing from some folks.

Rich

Love my kershaw Blackout.
Not in love with the Natrix.

I don't understand why the natrix has a weaker assist when opening but is much harder to close one handed...

IMG_2790.JPG I have dabbled with a few and have been disappointed every time, but one.
The Link is a great design and they did a good job on the build. Liked it so much, I got the HOB exclusive in s35vn.
Excellent work knife!
Joe

Kershaw definitely makes some great knives for the money. Those 2 looks very nice. I love my Blur... such a solid blade.

Dang. That is a fantastic price for what you get. I'll buy a couple to hand out (maybe keep one). Kershaw will occasionally come out with a fantastic deal. I remember when the Tremor was discontinued and kershaw guy had them for $25.

Dang. That is a fantastic price for what you get. I'll buy a couple to hand out (maybe keep one). Kershaw will occasionally come out with a fantastic deal. I remember when the Tremor was discontinued and kershaw guy had them for $25.

I do the same thing with the aluminum handled Leeks. Buy a couple when they're on sell just to give as gifts later. Great little knife that appeals to almost everyone in Orange, blue or teal.

View attachment 769654 I have dabbled with a few and have been disappointed every time, but one.
The Link is a great design and they did a good job on the build. Liked it so much, I got the HOB exclusive in s35vn.
Excellent work knife!
Joe
I really wish they'd get away from the blackwash on those. I'd spring for the s35vn if it were satin or stonewashed.

Edit: They do have a stonewashed version! Thanks Joe, now I've another knife on the list. Blue or red...?

Since the Tilt is so highly sought, what holds Kershaw from reintroducing it?

Representative said long ago , no more Tilts. Other than that who knows why they don't do a cheaper version.

I wish I knew why Kershaw discontinues some of its best knives. I love the Crown and Drone. Both DC-ed. The Crown was my first Kershaw many years ago. Fortunately I bought another for a spare before they were discontinued. Why DC a well selling design and introduce rather strange ones??? Only their marketing dept knows.

Rich

Back