In praise of the (disappearing) Slysz Bowie...

Hackenslash

Don't feed the Trolls
Gold Member
The Slysz Bowie has been sort-of on my radar since it released. It looked like a nice knife but due to the proliferation of grey-titanium-frame-lock-3.5inch-folders, it never pushed its way to the top of the heap of knives I “needed” to purchase. Besides, it was rather pricey for a Spyderco. When the knife was announced for discontinuation a couple of weeks ago, I knew it was now or never for the Slysz Bowie. I watched stock dwindle rapidly at my favorite online vendors and noticed some were marking the knife UP!

I took the leap and purchased one at Blade HQ. I opened it up for the first time while sitting in my office at work today. OMG! What an incredible, sexy little perfect piece of knivana (knife-nirvana)!

Nick Shabazz has a video up raving about the beauty that is the Slysz Bowie, and I agree completely. I’ve never had a knife take to my hand so quickly. I’m a little blown away by a knife that can appear so simple and plain yet possess a depth of precision finished surfaces and ergonomic goodness. It’s a shame this knife has been discontinued by Spyderco because in my opinion it’s the best Spydie I’ve ever handled.

For those who own one, what are your thoughts on the Slysz Bowie? I can’t say strongly enough how happy I am to have grabbed one of these before they’re available only on the secondary market.

246795F3-E561-4B56-8E4F-750C70B2B948.jpeg

The Slysz Bowie has the same elegant simplicity of a Sebenza 21. I tend to carry it as a medium sized alternative to a Large 21. I’m still really surprised to see the higher end Spyderco’s being discontinued. The Nirvana was a decent blade and would have been an excellent blade with a FFG, but the Slysz was perfect IMO.

I too was hypnotized by the Slysz song sung by the Shabazzola. He also roped me in on the Boos Blades Smoke, the PM2, the Benchmade Anthem and the Shirogorov 111. I'm glad he doesn't sell cars...or insurance. I actually thought he was using subliminal messages so I bought a few Microtech Sigils to prove I had full control of my own freewill. He's not fond of them Sigils.

I actually picked up my Slysz here in the exchange so, I saved some coin. It's definitely a keeper. It's too expensive to have multiples but for most folks one is enough. It is near the top of my recommend list for those "I just need one knife" guys. There will be some comments to come trying to knock it off the pedestal we're building. But it won't really matter. We already know none are perfect and few are great. This one is great.

Last edited:
I'm surprised it got discontinued. Whenever they popped up on the exchange they were snapped up.
Personally I didn't love the model. It just doesn't do much for me. It is well made.

Disappearing..yes they are very rapidly. Called DLT last Friday 18 Nov and ordered one, they had 23 in stock and now on Monday they are out of stock.

National Knives had a few in stock but looks like they are sold out.

Got told by a well known dealer that it went discontinued and they aren't getting any more.

Had to get one before the secondary markets take over and they start going up in price.

View attachment 801128

The Slysz Bowie has the same elegant simplicity of a Sebenza 21. I tend to carry it as a medium sized alternative to a Large 21. I’m still really surprised to see the higher end Spyderco’s being discontinued. The Nirvana was a decent blade and would have been an excellent blade with a FFG, but the Slysz was perfect IMO.
I'm a huge CRK fan with 21's, a Mnandi, an Inkosi and a Zaan. I never thought I'd be able to say that Spyderco made a knife that felt like a CRK...but the Slysz Bowie does! I had an opportunity to handle a Nirvana and understand why it got discontinued. It seemed more a demonstration of how complex a knife Spyderco can make rather than how good a knife they can make. Despite the engineering "win" that the Nirvana was, for me, as a knife, it was mostly a fail. It didn't cut well and didn't fit well in my hand; the hallmark property of Spyderco. I wonder if we'll find out in the future that the Slysz Bowie was too expensive to manufacture at the price it could sell at?
We will see $600 Spyderco Slysz Bowies in the exchange by 2021, mark this post.
If the retail mark-ups we're seeing are any indication, you may be right. I've never bought a knife with a mind to resell, so one SB will be good for me.

Slysz is amung my favorites. Wish I could spydiflick it, but otherwise it's perfect.

Cedric Ada Gear and outdoors did some videos with it comparison vs the spydie chef and another model.

It's clear that the slysz takes it up a notch with 3D milling and finishing, crowned spine, mirror polish stonewash xhp blade etc. Peter hated the back spacer, I didn't mind it. But it's certainly lack luster. All these extras raised the price. You could essentially get a similar knife by getting the chef for a user knife that's cheaper without by extra finishes, But I dunno, I rather have the slysz.

Last edited:
Slysz is amung my favorites. Wish I could spydiflick it, but otherwise it's perfect.

That's what killed all interest for me - thumb-open-only knives are never on my radar. I'm always mystified when I see Spyderco greenlight a design that strips away so much of the versatility the spyder-hole has. One of my favorite ways to open a knife is by kicking it open with my middle finger, and using my thumb to do a slow arc just feels clumsy and unnecessarily laborious by comparison.

Reactions: Mo2
That's what killed all interest for me - thumb-open-only knives are never on my radar. I'm always mystified when I see Spyderco greenlight a design that strips away so much of the versatility the spyder-hole has. One of my favorite ways to open a knife is by kicking it open with my middle finger, and using my thumb to do a slow arc just feels clumsy and unnecessarily laborious by comparison.

Some of us don't have a flicking fancy ;) Never felt any advantage with it either..

Glad I got one OP, its simple elegance and Taichung build quality are a real pleasure to use. Nearest thing I will (probably) ever have to a Sebenza.
Got mine pre-MAP, from KC when it was on special ('bout US$240-250 IIRC), priced just low enough to get under the NZ$400 limit that has Customs hit me with taxes and fees.
That's why I don't have a CRK, a large 21 is like NZ$800 :(

But with my Slysz in pocket, I'm good. :)

lNhzwE4.jpg

It's not the easiest Spydieflick...but it can be done. :D

There is a place in Huntington Beach, CA which is still showing these in stock at MAP. I am not in love with the model and also the CA sales tx on top of the MAP does not make sense for me, but if someone was sitting on the fence and is now anguished about having to pay big marks ups, check out Blade Flick.

Eh, false alarm. Sorry folks!

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with this outfit and I have never done business either so that's the caveat emptor. I only found this as I went systematically down the pages and pages of Google search as everywhere else showed as Out-of-Stock! If this benevolent post constitutes as deal spotting, please LMK to remove.

Thanks, CS~

Last edited:
This model never really caught my attention the fans of it got more of my attention because I still don't really see the draw to it vs a Sage 2 or Domino.

There is a place in Huntington Beach, CA which is still showing these in stock at MAP. I am not in love with the model and also the CA sales tx on top of the MAP does not make sense for me, but if someone was sitting on the fence and is now anguished about having to pay big marks ups, check out Blade Flick.

Disclosure: I am not affiliated with this outfit and I have never done business either so that's the caveat emptor. I only found this as I went systematically down the pages and pages of Google search as everywhere else showed as Out-of-Stock! If this benevolent post constitutes as deal spotting, please LMK to remove.

Thanks, CS~

Probably is against the rules, as they're not a paying dealer, but thanks I snagged one! :D

Back