In praise of the (disappearing) Slysz Bowie...

Probably is against the rules, as they're not a paying dealer, but thanks I snagged one! :D

Glad to hear that I'd probably fall on some sort of sword just for you :D

In my defense to the Supers, I did not post a link so folks have to be as smart as JJ to do some due diligence on their own :)

Don't bother ordering from those flakes. They refunded me and are still showing in stock.

What a bunch of fooquers! Like I had said, not affiliated in any shape or form and had never done any business with them. Best case scenario, not in stock which means someone needs to correct the misinformation. Nefarious case: they caught onto the high demand and perhaps wish to sell at inflated prices and not MAP!. Sorry Jill :(

What a bunch of fooquers! Like I had said, not affiliated in any shape or form and had never done any business with them. Best case scenario, not in stock which means someone needs to correct the misinformation. Nefarious case: they caught onto the high demand and perhaps wish to sell at inflated prices and not MAP!. Sorry Jill :(

Oh well you tried! :thumbsup:

There are still a few smaller dealers out there that advertise these in stock, just FYI for anyone looking for a new one.

Ha!
2vnoort.jpg

I got mine used right after they were discontinued (and right before the prices skyrocketed) and to be honest I was surprised with how much I like it. It's the first knife I've handled since Blade Show that's kicked my Inkosi out of my pocket for more than a couple days. Maybe they're discontinuing it to offer a new version with a sheepsfoot blade :D

It's definitely the sharpest Spyderco I've ever owned. And they're some of the overall sharpest knives out of the box going.

This is a ludicrous old post bump, but I just wanted to say this guys comment was ahead of its time.

Tis true but IMO the people buying the Slyz Bowie for such inflated prices either don't know any better or just have more $ than sense, because there are many other knives equivalent to the Bowie in terms of design/materials that can be purchased for much less.

This opinon also applies to other knives whose "aura" and the hype surrounding it has increased the price people will pay for it far beyond what it is truly "worth" much like how the stock market is behaving these days.

Just saying . . .

BTW, I still don't own a Slyz Bowie and won't buy one EVER unless the price drops down to around $300. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. LOL! ;)

I completely agree with sgt1372 sgt1372 . The current prices of this knife has little to do with its quality (not saying the quality is bad) but all to do with hype due to its being discontinued. Let's say if this is a regular production, it will have difficulties to move fast at $280 by dealers.

Tis true but IMO the people buying the Slyz Bowie for such inflated prices either don't know any better or just have more $ than sense, because there are many other knives equivalent to the Bowie in terms of design/materials that can be purchased for much less.

This opinon also applies to other knives whose "aura" and the hype surrounding it has increased the price people will pay for it far beyond what it is truly "worth" much like how the stock market is behaving these days.

Just saying . . .

BTW, I still don't own a Slyz Bowie and won't buy one EVER unless the price drops down to around $300. Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath for that to happen. LOL! ;)
Couldn't agree more m8. The custom's market seems to be an extreme case of this, when a maker gets popular people are willing to pay anything. That really goes for any product however, people want something due to its reputation regardless of what the actual objective value of the materials are.

It is strange to me that they discontinued it though since the Spydiechef is still made and seems to sell very well for a 235$ knife. However the Slysz Bowie doesnt do anything many other knives dont like you mentioned. Meanwhile spydiechef is pretty unique in the knife market.

FWIW, an "evil" thought just occured to me.

It would be really nice if Spyderco re-issued the Slyz Bowie in a Sprint for $300 (or thereabouts) which would undermine the 2ndary market for originally issued SB's.

They've done Sprint reissues before (think the Lum Tanto folder was one of them).

So, it's not unprecedented and I'm sure they would sell out quick!

Listening, Sal? :D

Last edited:
FWIW, an "evil" thought just occured to me.

It would be really nice if Spyderco re-issued the Slyz Bowie in a Sprint for $300 (or thereabouts) which would undermine the 2ndary market for originally issued SB's.

They've done Sprint reissues before (think the Lum Tanto folder was one of them).

So, it's not unprecedented and I'm sure they would sell out quick!

Listening, Sal? :D

Yes they would sell out, quite quickly, that is the problem. Make the "Sprint Run" about 10,000 and then it "might" affect the aftermarket, of course then you have the first generation which is usually the more valuable. I would like one but until I can find one for my price/condition I just don't pay it any attention, maybe never get one, I don't care with all of my other knives etc why stress about it. Its just another knife, no big deal for me(anybody know someone selling one reasonable let me know). I have so many other knives I feel lucky to have gotten my way, I really shouldn't complain(although I still do:)).

Sal is willing to bring back knives if enough people show support, and if the tooling is still available. Case in point, the Massad Ayoob. Details are being worked out on the Spyderco forums as we speak! With possible (if the tooling allows) screw construction! Not my kind of knife, but a lot of people seem to be all for it!

I'd have to check the specs on the Bowie, but I could be down. I really want a cheaper version of the Drunken with no milling, G10, and S30V would be fine, but I think I'm in the minority LOL

Back